Got my Sonic Impact T-amp!

wuzzzer

I laughed when our mail carrier handed me the package today. I knew what was in there, it was the size and weight of the package that made me laugh. I couldn't believe how small the box was. Then when I opened the box up and saw how small the amp itself was I had to chuckle again.

I came home and my wife was gone to the gym so I had a solid hour to monkey around with setting everything up. I connected my system as follows: H/K 3480 as pre-amp, full-range pre-out connected to SVS sub (sub crossed over at 80Hz), sub out to Sonic T-amp amplifying 80Hz-20kHz. I figured it would be good to remove the lowest bass from the T-amp so that it had more power to amplify everything else.

The first CD I had in was Chicago's greatest hits 1967 to 1997 or something like that. I didn't know how loud to put the volume knob so I started about 1/4 of maximum. I had to turn my receiver way up to hear anything so I turned my receiver back down and then put the amp at 1/2 way. This allowed for pretty loud music playing -20dB on my receiver.

I played one track that I was very familiar with. I was awestruck. I know I've heard different people talk about how their speakers 'disappeared' with certain gear, and now I know exactly what they were talking about. I find it hard to describe things of an audible nature, but what I heard was every instrument playing much more distinctly than I had ever heard before. I could tell where each singer and musical instrument was set in front of me. My system has always had an incredible center image as if I had a center channel even though I have a 2 channel setup. Side to side imaging was pretty weak and it always seemed that anything that wasn't recorded dead center was obviously coming from either the left or the right speaker. Everything was totally different with the T-amp. If I closed my eyes I honestly couldn't be able to tell you exactly where the speakers were.

I can't wait to listen to the amp with more music and see how it does for movies. I'm definitely going to buy an AC adapter for it now that I know that it will be a permanent addition to my system.

By the way, does anyone have any recommendation as to how high to set the volume knob on the amp? I don't want to damage the amp or my speakers so I don't want to turn it up too high. Also, if I were to get an AC adapter for it, how many amps/milliamps should I get?

How bout something like this?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-953

If it's really all that it's hyped up to be, then that's the route I'd

go. You absolutely want to have the most consistent power supply

possible - and in that regard, batteries are better than your typical

DC Adapter. I would wager that this might be on par with the batteries.

Another alternative you might consider would be to go to the complete

next step and build a dedicated power supply - using something like a

nice center-tapped torrodial transformer. It wouldn't be that crazy to

go with some huge filtering caps too.....you know, the kind where it

takes the amp minutes for the power indicators to turn off [;)] Yeah,

it's probably overkill but the performance of a "digital amp" gears

heavily on the quality of the power supply.

Nevertheless, the amp is rated at 15W into a 4ohm load which is

equivalent to 1.25A at 12V. Assuming 83% efficiency that comes to a

minimum of 1.5A supplied by the DC adaptor. Figure another 25% of

headroom and you're looking at 2A, which is actually what the above

device is rated for. The amp probably has an efficiency closer to 90%

which means 2A is more than enough.

As far as the amplifier input volume, the typical school of logic is to

start with the volume at 100% and then reduce it gradually to bring the

overall noisefloor to a minimum. In other words, select a volume level

that runs everything in its "sweetspot." The volume knob on an

amplifier is really just a way to add resistance to the input signal,

which means you can still push the amp to 100% even with the volume at

1/4 (provided the upstream equipment has enough voltage to overcome the

difference). So it's best to always think of amplifiers as operating at

full kilt all the time and you just gotta make sure the input signal

isn't crazy style.

If you can't hear any difference in the noise floor (which will

probably be the case), then I would recommend turning the amp volume up

all the way simply because it's easier to return the volume to the

exact same level in case it ever gets bumped. This will make

integrating with the subwoofer more consistent and easier to do.

If you want the system to be absolutely indestructible, then you can

set the volume on your preamp to its max and then slowly turn up the

amplifier until you reach max output. Make sure you use overly

compressed crappy music when setting these levels to ensure that you're

just below the clipping point with the most obnoxious input possible.

You'll probably want ear protection too, lol. This approach will

generally yield you the worst possible noise floor, but if noise isn't

an issue then you've nothing to worry about. It usually results in you

having to crank the preamp a bit higher too. I only recommend this

route for people that don't understand the limitations of their gear -

you're not gonna blow anything up with a little clipping, but you will

blow stuff up if you blow way beyond the threshold of linearity.

Anyways, that's just one guy's opinion....there are tons and tons of

articles on the topic of "gain structure". Google is your friend if you

wanna get way too deep into the theory. Heck, some guys offer ways to

calculate the minimizing the noise floor and maximizing gain.

Thanks a ton Mike! I saw that AC adapter on partsexpress just a little bit ago and I think it should be the perfect match since its made by Sonic Impact. I'll have to order it quick so I don't burn up all my batteries at home!

The Teac AL-700P ranks right up there as well.

I used it as a backup when Craig was re-doing my ST-70. The Teac was mated with a JM Peach and a pair of Belles.

These amps have their limitations but definitely fill the void admirably when in a pinch.

JJ

Hey Mark....you should check out some of the more powerful digital amps out there. I think that's where this topology shines the best.

A few years ago, I had a "highly regarded" Bel Canto Digital Amp in my home and compared to my Van Alstine Hybrid tube amp. It was no contest, the Bel Canto digital was lifeless and sucked most of the life out of the music. Now, if the Bel Canto had cost $39, I would be it's greatest advocate. But at $2 Grand no thanks!

I think now that I know that I love the sound of the little amp I'll eventually buy the upgraded one and resell this one. I still can't get over it! [:o]

You've had it half a day and are planning to sell it. Yes sir, it must be the most amazing, incredible amp ever!!! And the audiophile version is undoubtedly an even more most amazing, even more incredible amp.

I thought the little Sonic Impact sounded O.K. It's good by mid-fi standards and an incredible value. However, I thought the $100 TEAC spanked it pretty good in all categories. I bought the Sonic Impact Super-T on a whim one weekend to compare to the Peach/TEAC combo I'd been running, and all I can say is that I preferred the Super-T by a wide margin. The middle and upper registers are crystal clear, without a trace of solid state grit. The bass doesn't slam, but it doesn't sound weak either. The bottom is 'all there' and it's tight with good definition. Now, it's not something you buy because you have little money with the hope you can still drive the sound up to live listening levels -- forget it. It sounds as good to me as anything I've ever heard before, but you have to be willing to accept its limitations. With Klipschorns, sitting 12 feet back -- I get a very transparent and musical experience as long as I don't stray beyond 85dB or so. It's a great late night amp, and you're going to be shelling out some serious cash to beat it at what it's good at. Finally, the amp has its own unique sonic signature, and I can tell you that it doesn't sound like other digital amps.

If you need more power -- go Hypex.

Kevin:

I will be sending you something that I would like for you to try out on your new speaker addition.

This way, I will have to make a trip down for another listening session.[;)]

JJ

Sure come on down! - I've got some gear that you would probably like to hear as well. - I am currently working on some 45 amps from Welborne (some backorderd parts). Also. the speakers that were recommended here the Tekton Design single drivers (which are truly amazing for their size and price). We can set up a time that works for you!

I got 3 of them about 6 months ago. It fulfills PWK's often quoted remark that: "What the world needs is a good 5W amplifier." This is 6W/ch into 8ohms without distortion, so close enough.

To my ears, it's the closest thing I ever heard to "straight wire with gain." It drives my Chorus II's wild in the dining room direct from a CD player's output.

Claude

You've had it half a day and are planning to sell it. Yes sir, it must be the most amazing, incredible amp ever!!! And the audiophile version is undoubtedly an even more most amazing, even more incredible amp.

I bought this one as a test drive to see if I liked it. I'm not planning to sell it, but its nice to know that if I ever wanted to upgrade to the Super-T its out there and available.

I had (still have I guess) one and it didn't spend much time being played. To me it was totally unengaging and was akin to listening to a very good car radio with a good AM station tuned in. Hell my mid-70's SS stuff kicked the crap out of it. Gotta admit I was turned off and maybe didn't give it a fair shake, but does anybody remember Realistic?

A lot of people like these things and I haven't heard the "better" stuff yet but it left me feeling cold in the middle of a very hot summer.

"Hard to believe it's that good."

Kevin:

Sounds sort of like what has been said on occasion in the past about SET amps, doesn't it?

He likes the Sonic Impact; you like single-ended 45 triodes.

As far as building an 'upgraded' power supply, you need to know what you're doing. If you don't, the description 'nice center-tapped transformer' may not only be meaningless, but seriously dangerous.

Erik

"Hard to believe it's that good."

Kevin:

Sounds sort of like what has been said on occasion in the past about SET amps, doesn't it?

He likes the Sonic Impact; you like single-ended 45 triodes.

As far as building an 'upgraded' power supply, you need to know what you're doing. If you don't, the description 'nice center-tapped transformer' may not only be meaningless, but seriously dangerous.

Erik

Except, I'll keep an open mind and actually listen to one. - Heck I might even buy one!

Keep in mind that have had $2,000 digital amps in my home - They ain't no SET!