Looking For A Thorens TD124

garymd

My goal is to add a mono table to my Cornwall system and I've decided the TD124 might be the best table for my purposes for a number of reasons.

I'm in no rush so I'll wait as long as it takes to find the right one. I'm willing to take on a project so it doesn't have to be in perfect condition. It doesn't have to have a decent plinth or an arm since I'll be adding those anyway (unless of course the right arm happens to already be there).

If anyone has one buried in their garage, finds one at a yard sale or sees one on Craigslist, etc., please keep me in mind. I'll certainly pay a fair price.

Thanks.

Since you're going to build a new plinth, you might also consider two other idler-drive Thorens models from the 50's/60s.

First, theres the TD-111--this is a stripped down model and has a lighter platter, but retains the same motor and belt/idler system that makes the TD124 such a great table. It is a one-speed table--33 1/3!! The TD-111 usually sells for about $250 without an arm on ebay--they come up a couple of times per year:

Thorens%20TD-111.jpg

The TD-121 is really a bare bones TD-124--same platter, same motor and bearing, same tonearm board. What it lacks is the fancy clutch mechansim that you'll never use and like the TD-111, it is a one-speed table!

833b_3.JPG

Thanks guys!

The local guy has 2, one on A'gon and one on Ebay. He won't answer my emails because he knows they're overpriced and wants an out-of-towner to buy without seeing first.

Allan - Thanks. The 121 looks like it just might be the ticket. I'll keep my eyes open for one and check the links you sent. I've just been too busy today to do much of anything. I'm beat and ready to head to my dungeon. I have about 10 new records cleaned and waiting for me.[Y]

My goal is to add a mono table to my Cornwall system and I've decided the TD124 might be the best table for my purposes for a number of reasons.

I'm in no rush so I'll wait as long as it takes to find the right one. I'm willing to take on a project so it doesn't have to be in perfect condition. It doesn't have to have a decent plinth or an arm since I'll be adding those anyway (unless of course the right arm happens to already be there).

If anyone has one buried in their garage, finds one at a yard sale or sees one on Craigslist, etc., please keep me in mind. I'll certainly pay a fair price.

Thanks.

What's this!!! I can't beleive what I'm reading here! .... you know Gary,.... you may have to wait a good 30 min. for that baby to spin-up to the right speed [;)] [D] [:#]

Who loves ya baby....

Scott,

Just back from the dungeon. I'm so tired I actually fell asleep while Art Pepper was blasting a solo in my face.

I won't see that email until Monday. You can either pm me or use gdpowers_7@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Gilbert,

Yeah, that's a problem. I'll just turn it on before I go to work so it'll be up to speed when I get home in the evening.[;)]

Allan,

I'm holding on to the rest of my monos until this project is complete!

Keep digging Gregg! I know you'll find it eventually! What's your bottom line? Everyone has a price!![;)]

Scott - I need to hear from you! The auction on the 121 ends in 9 hours so I need to know what you have. Please pm me if you see this!!!!!

How about a 318 available locally for $400:

Not the same thing. Gary's looking for an idler drive Thorens . . .

I have no doubt the idler/wheel Thorens/Garrard are nice tables with a neat retro "look" and decent performance once fully reconditioned. But I would much rather pay $400 for a belt-drive TT with more modern motor electronics that sold for $700-800 in the early 90s (TD318/320) than $1000-1200 (what 124/301s have rediculously been going for on eBay as of late) for a table that was $89-99 in 1960.

I mean I understand inflation but...

The performance difference certainly isnt aligning with the cool factor IMO. I guess it's just supply-demand?? But I suppose if you're looking to keep "in theme" with your mono-phonic aspirations it may make historical sense.

JMO

WOT

I have no doubt the idler/wheel Thorens/Garrard are nice tables with a neat retro "look" and decent performance once fully reconditioned. But I would much rather pay $400 for a belt-drive TT with more modern motor electronics that sold for $700-800 in the early 90s (TD318/320) than $1000-1200 (what 124/301s have rediculously been going for on eBay as of late) for a table that was $89-99 in 1960.

The performance difference certainly isnt aligning with the cool factor IMO. I guess it's just supply-demand?? But I suppose if you're looking to keep "in theme" with your mono-phonic aspirations it may make historical sense.

JMO

WOT

Actually there is a lot more to the idlers than just cool retro looks. The 124 and the Garrards 301/401 in particular. Some people say they combine the best of belt and direct drive without their drawabacks. Actually, I forget what people say but it's been discussed here in several threads over the last year or so. I guess I'll have to go back and re-read them myself. You have to hear a good one in proper working order and judge for yourself whether the idlers are for you. But it is definitely not just the cool retro looks that make these a great choice of some people.

JMO

WOT

You don't know what you're talking about. I have owned dozens of nice turtables over the years, including several belt drive suspended Thorens tables, SOTAs, Linns, etc. The build quality of and SOUND quality from a TD124 with a proper arm and cartridge will blow ANY suspended table I have ever owned clean out of the water. I bought my TD124 on a lark about 15-16 years ago and spent a couple of years messing around with it until one day I tried an Ortofon SPU and never looked back. I sold my Linn LP12 (although I recently bought another one for my office system) and the TD124 has been my main table since.

Until you hear what one of these tables is capable of your opinion is worthless.

Actually there is a lot more to the idlers than just cool retro looks. The 124 and the Garrards 301/401 in particular. But it is definitely not just the cool retro looks that make these a great choice of some people.

I dunno about that (had a TD-125 for a number of years)

I see nothing superior at least electrically in these old decks, compared to current technologies. Certainly if there was something that significant there would be an idler model offered by the all of the current big players in the TT arena. I've yet to hear any real quantifiable evidence to their supposed superiority.Older 4-pole AC motors, complex linkage mechanism, idler wheel size and concentricity issues...

If these issus are being addressed somehow through modern upgrades, that's different then (similar to spending many hundreds to upgrade older vintage tube amps with modern passives for instance) But I certanly wouldnt go back to my TD-125. But maybe it was better than I recall.

JMO WOT

Until you hear what one of these tables is capable of your opinion is worthless.

LOL Give me a break.My opinion is "worth" the same as yours or anyone else's in here. That's why it's called OPINION!

LOL Give me a break.My opinion is "worth" the same as yours or anyone else's in here. That's why it's called OPINION!

WRONG! My opinion is worth something because I have acutually owned and listened to both of the tables. You have not. Therefore your opinion is worthless--complete nonsense.

Again, your opinion of the new Thorens when compared with your old TD-125 is valid because you have OWNED both tables. If I chimed in about THAT comparison my "opinion" would be as worthless as your "opinion" of the relative merits of the TD-124.

WRONG! My opinion is worth something because I have acutually owned and listened to both of the tables. You have not. Therefore your opinion is worthless--complete nonsense.

Again, your opinion of the new Thorens when compared with your old TD-125 is valid because you have OWNED both tables. If I chimed in about THAT comparison my "opinion" would be as worthless as your "opinion" of the relative merits of the TD-124.

OK fair enough, I "get" that. But I was referring to the technology comparisons in general not the subjectivities of the human ear.[*-)] My old 125 was all stock, had noisy electronics and as you know, didn't have the same type of arm-board design as the 124. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that YOU believe that your TD-124 has superior sonics to any of the other decks you've owned. I wouldn't question that. I'm just trying to rationalize it with some sort of physical quantifiable characteristics.If it's not measurable or quantifiable in some way, then IT TOO can be complete nonsense.To what specifically do YOU attribute it's superiority? Besides the arm and plinth are you making any other major changes??

WOT