hey deano (snipers and the jub envious, STAY AWAY)

bodcaw boy

"Heyser Performs a Test that he calls the crescendo test. In this test the ratio of sound pressure level to drive power is measured for selected tones. What one observes is SPL drops in relation to increased drive levels."

Horns are good about avoiding power compression. They are so efficient little power flows through them to heat them up in the first place and because they are so efficient they have less waste heat.

Shawn

As well, the horns in my Scalas are so efficient that the receiver is much cooler to the touch, running at the same volume as with my previous bass reflex speakers. That should help the electronics last longer. An unexpected bonus to go with the great sound.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Heyser Performs a Test that he calls the crescendo test. In this test the ratio of sound pressure level to drive power is measured for selected tones. What one observes is SPL drops in relation to increased drive levels."

That sounds like a simple power compression test. Did SPL actually drop with increased drive levels or did the relative SPL increase drop with increased drive level?

In other words going from say 1w to 10w nets you 10dB more output. But going from 10w to 100w only gives say 8dB more output where in a perfect world it would give another 10dB. But the power compression is what made that number lower.

Horns are good about avoiding power compression. They are so efficient little power flows through them to heat them up in the first place and because they are so efficient they have less waste heat.

Shawn

All the more reason to have an ALL horn system, I seriously doubt that you can hear 2 db of compression on a 124 db peak level, since that is what we are talking about here with Jub, LaScala, or Khorns. 20 db watts of power over 104/105 db at Zero dbWatts (1w) times whatever number of channels you got going is pretty ear splitting loud. Not many non-Horn speakers can do that at any power level.

Claude

I measured 77" high by my K-horns (height of Klipsch version Jubillee) and was totally impressed with PWK not thinking within the box on speaker design. Let's see, 500 watt rating, 45hz to 34khz, and horns big enough to hide my dog in. Are these things impressive or what? What an ego trip to have these in your living room. Now that's all we need is a cheap 500 watt amplifier. I could see one of those frankenstien electric on/off wall switches to power these things on, hopefully not frightening your friends away. Does anyone know what Klipsch charges for one of these units?

JJK

okay deano,

now maybe we can get some good, unbiased opinions on what you think about the jub without all the sniping to get in the way. regardless of what others think, i like the pursuit of good sound and really would like to know what you think about the jubs, good and bad......hey who knows, maybe we can make some mods to the system to make it better........i have gotten miketn's, coyotee-o's, ralph across the pond's, seti's, tonyr's, michael colters' and various others opinions on the jubs. like i have said on other thread, i am after performance issues. amplitude changes are like seasonings; add salt, pepper, what you like but the meal is in front you......what do you think...

have a blessed night,

roy delgado

Well, this one has finally tapered off Roy. I think it got you some of of what you asked for, but I doubt if you kept the Jub envious away since this has had record response and views.

Keep making good noise and food, eh?

Claude

I did RTA readings of my Jubilee Clone today and attached are the results. Roy, how does this compare with what I might expect to get with the real one under these conditions? Click on the attachment to open.

rigma

hey rigma,

impressive measurements; i would say very very close indeed. just out of curiosity are using tube amps or solid state?

have a blessed night,

roy

Nice curves Maron!

Man, I just heard your voicemail a little bit ago -- you're not really going to make me do that are you? I got the top bolted down and everything is pointed just so!

Hi Roy -- he's using some whimpy SET amps.:)

I also have those plates bolted to the Jubilees, and then the passives are snuggled back in there too. Call Richard, he loves taking his apart for people!:)

hey deano,

how are your jubs doing? you doing well? anary is waiting for you to upgrade from jubs. still thinking about what else you would want in jub?

have a blessed night,

roy

All is well. Just finished listening through the Moody Blues Anthology set -- sounded really good. It usually takes me about a year to get bored with something, so Robert will have to be patient.:) I have no idea what else I would want from them -- a bigger horn might be nice I suppose.