Darned TUBES!!!!!!!! %$!^*^&%@#

meagain

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buy a nice SS amp and be done with that bullsh!t

Yeah, and enter the world of sh!tty sounding audio!!!

a properly functionling Amp has less impact on the sound we hear than many other components in the system, so if you feel you need tubes then Godbless, keep the faith, cause that is what it is.

Spoken like a true non-believer. I remember when I thought the same. Of course, a "properly functioning amp" is never neutral and imparts its signature on the sound so the argument is a theoretical one not a practical one. Anyone who has a steady state amp and does not immediately identify a huge change (for the better) in the presentation when trying, oh, an Eico HF-81, doesn't appreciate the music to the same degree others of us do. Said people would likely be happy purchasing all their equipment from Best Buy... and spending their money on room treatments. [8-)]

Spoken like a true non-believer. I remember when I thought the same. Of course, a "properly functioning amp" is never neutral and imparts its signature on the sound so the argument is a theoretical one not a practical one. Anyone who has a steady state amp and does not immediately identify a huge change (for the better) in the presentation when trying, oh, an Eico HF-81, doesn't appreciate the music to the same degree others of us do. Said people would likely be happy purchasing all their equipment from Best Buy... and spending their money on room treatments. [8-)]

[bs] And if anyone is upset by my not stating WHY I say [bs] ......... OK, here it is..... I find this beyond hard to believe.

That is true jb. In general, tube amps create a much more enveloping experience. I don't say they save the world.

SS has its place. If you don't have a dedicated 2 channel system and/or want to listen to multichannel or have a home theater, SS is the way to go. My home theater is SS. I would love to upgrade it and replace my Yammie with a Bryston preamp and multichannel amp.

But I think you are compromising if you use a SS amp in a two channel system. At the very least, use a tube preamp and a SS amp.

I was an absolute "you are kidding yourselves about tube amps" guy and bought one just to prove tube amps sucked. Now I own three. My wife, not an audio nut by any means, heard a comparison and immediately said - with regards to the tube amp - this is incredible, why would you need anything else but this? My kids instantly heard the difference. In my specific scenario, there is no comparison. None.

PS. Sell those amps Lisa and head on down to Best Buy. You have three offers on the table. Jump.

Mark - Well, I kinda spent many many many hundreds more for it without tubes.... With all the tube purchases.... oooaaa... I could say buy me a beer and we have a deal, but you're far away. Oh well.

Anarchist - I'm sure everyone could find a similar big difference between amps/gear depending on the amps in comparison. Did you have crapola before?

No I didn't. I have had dozens of systems in my 30 years of buying equipment. I thought I knew it all too.

Make Mark a counter-offer. He or someone else will take those VRD's off your hands. Sell your tubes on Ebay.

Go buy a B&K REF 5 Preamp and REF 125.2 You are done. No more aggravation.

Edit: Accept an offer quick and collect the money Both of the components mentioned above are on ebay right now with a buy it now price totaling $1250. They are better components than you will find at Best Buy by the way.

No I didn't. I have had dozens of systems in my 30 years of buying equipment. I thought I knew it all too.

Make Mark a counter-offer. He or someone else will take those VRD's off your hands. Sell your tubes on Ebay.

Go buy a B&K REF 5 Preamp and REF 125.2 You are done. No more aggravation.

Edit: Accept an offer quick and collect the money Both of the components mentioned above are on ebay right now with a buy it now price totaling $1250. They are better components than you will find at Best Buy by the way.

Sound advice, no pun intended. I auditioned B&K prepros and that very amp with various Klipsch speakers, and the sound was very good. That year, I ended up going the Classe and Rotel route, but B&K would have done quite nicely for ss gear.

........long before I descended into the madness that was "tubes......."

Carl.