Quitting Smoking

woodsman

Awesome, now go start doing Muay Thai or BJJ a few times a week and you will be a well rounded man physically/

I am already well rounded thank you.[:P] That is my next project however and I will prevail in this one as well!!! Although Qui-Gong and Yoga are more my speed.

Oscarsear:

Thanks for bieng direct!!! You are correct in your observation that even after going through 1 year of hell I was still living in denial saying "Oh, it wont happen to me!". It would probably be better when smokers could do a "Scared Straight" type of project. This thread brought up memories!! Memories where we bought him a handy just so he could call us in case of emergency. If this number rang we just sprang in the car and raced over. After the operation he could not speak. We only got one call, called paramedics raced over and found the sink full of blood. The tumor was back and basicaly exploded a blood vessel, back into the hospital for 2 weeks. Due to the pain he was having we were concidering a Moriphine pump to keep him "pain free" until the enevatible happens. 2 days before he should have gone into the hospital I found him by my morning visit dead. After the inital shock and mourning we were so happy the suffering was over. The last month he could not speak,eat or basicaly do anything due to constant pain in neck, under the tounge where they cut 1/3 of it out and headaches. Thats just not living.

Please all of you smokers out there who want to quit, to coin a phrase from Nike, Just do it. I am at 3 weeks now and still going strong, I would lie if I would say I don´t want to smoke one with the wife. Luckily my will not to smoke one is stronger now. This is definately a situation like an Alcoholic, just stop and don´t look back because it is so easy to start again.

Ran

Ran,

I try not to get into the details of peoples suffering. I have done so in the past and I've found that people feel like I'm over working my ambition to get them to stop tobacco by making up horribly gruesome stories. However, coming directly from a personal family experience like you went through others can begin to realize how devastating some of the health consequences can be. Thank you for sharing them. I know it's difficult for you to recount those events.

I will add these experiences for others to ponder. It is hard to comprehend that a person healthy and active can become completely debilitated by anything much less something as little as cigarettes. I once worked with a man dying from cancer of the salivary glands caused by chewing tobacco. He was a huge person in stature. He wasn't fat, he was big and tall. He was an ex lineman for the Raiders football team and not very old. But he absolutely just filled that hospital bed. Six months earlier his life was normal and at that time he was heavily sedated and soon to expire. He still had family at home and the whole situation was so very sad. What astounded some of his visitors was how quickly he lost his health. In every respect the man led the life of a vibrant professional athlete and there he lay completely dependent on others and helpless to stop his impending fate.

That is what makes so angry about tobacco. The people it impacts are all so damn nice and the impact is always exquisitely nightmarish. None of them can believe what their going through. It hurts to see that and I've seen it hundreds if not thousands of times. I get a little too impassioned about my desire to get others to see the dangers of tobacco. Even here in these forums I've been roundly criticized for inserting my thoughts where they're not welcome. But not here on this particular thread. If there's any questions I might answer anyone should feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to accurately reply.

...... What astounded some of his visitors was how quickly he lost his health. In every respect the man led the life of a vibrant professional athlete and there he lay completely dependent on others and helpless to stop his impending fate..........

Oscarsear This is exactly what the people don´t understand, it goes extreamly fast once it starts. My hats off to you people in the medical branch. I for one would not be able to do the work you do, just to much suffering, and unfortunatly 95% of the time self induced. RESPECT!!!!!!

Klipsched with Yamahas, garymd and dwilawyer how has everything been going??? I hope good!!!!! Give us an update.

Ran

My mother in law is one in denial... Her father passed away from lung cancer I think it was. A very close family friend battled throat and/or mouth cancer that I think spread to brain cancer. And she's getting emphysema .... and she still keeps lighting up. Hopefully she won't become the smoker dragging around an oxygen tank.

And don't forget the not so pleasant side effects - cigarette, cigar, and pipe smoke don't smell good. It's such a part of my mother in law's home you don't really notice it after spending a weekend - but get out in the van or get home and open the duffel bag and it just about knocks you over.

And second hand smoke isn't good for the others. Quite making excuses, second hand smoke is bad for the health of those exposed to it. I can't site the research but it's there.

Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things a person can do, or more accurately as Mark Twain put it:

"Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it hundreds of time."

So it's not really the quitting that's so hard, it's the not starting again. Thankfully tobacco is one vice I've managed to avoid.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of those trying to quit. If you really want to do it, one day you'll manage to not start again with a lot of help from family and friends.

And those smokers who don't want to quite, that's your right too. I just hope and pray you and anyone close to you avoids cancer and other health problems related to smoking.

God Bless

Klipsched with Yamahas, garymd and dwilawyer how has everything been going??? I hope good!!!!! Give us an update.

Ran

My wife and I are doing just fine. Thanks for asking. We can't imagine ever going back.

I think I can also speak for Travis since I saw him recently. He's doing fine as well.

Mark? Please give us an update! If you slipped once or twice, don't give up! Like I said earlier, I cheated for almost 3 months before I finally quit for good.

• Moderators

Ran

My wife and I are doing just fine. Thanks for asking. We can't imagine ever going back.

I think I can also speak for Travis since I saw him recently. He's doing fine as well.

Mark? Please give us an update! If you slipped once or twice, don't give up! Like I said earlier, I cheated for almost 3 months before I finally quit for good.

Yes indeed, thanks for asking. I have not lit up since quitting. I quit about a week or two after Gary's wife quit, about June 22 I think. So I think I am at the 6 month mark. I will never, ever go back unless I get lined up for a firing squad and then I figure what's one more. Once a week I still have a very brief but strong urge to smoke, but they are very brief.

Travis

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Amy and others who have stopped for some time please share with us the differences in how your lives are without tobacco.

Hmm...let's see...most of these are pretty obvious:

• $$ saved
  • Less stress
  • My hair/clothes/hands/car don't stink
  • I rebound from colds much faster
  • No annoying coughing/hacking after waking up in the morning
  • Food tastes better
  • No yucky tobacco breath/taste in my mouth (constant scrambling for gum or mint)
  • No anxiety about "running low," having to run to the store late
  • No hassles with or digging for pesky lighters...either out of flame or lost or somewhere at the bottom of my purse
  • Airline travel got a whole lot easier
  • Non-smoking hotel rooms don't smell bad
  • I don't need to take frequent breaks during my job
  • I don't have to stand out in the cold or rain just to support a yucky habit

But the very best things about not smoking:

• Not worrying about Steven watching me intently and knowing someday he will copy my every move

and

• Doing all I can to help ensure I'm around for Steven when he needs me, and hopefully be able to stay healthy and live long enough to enjoy my grandkids

I'm sure there's a lot more, but there's a start.

At this juncture of the game, I have absolutely zero reasons as to why I'd want to smoke again. It appeals to me that little.

My heart & respect goes out to you all who are trying (or have) quit!! I have watched my mother try & fail for years. I have finally come to peace inside that if she dies of lung issues... she had a lifetime of joy getting herself to that stage. She's 75 so I'd be more at peace that she made it to that age (in fairly good health I might add) than if something happened to her at 50.

All that said, she's trying again to quit. She's been taking that Chantix? (sp??)

Seems it is giving her FITS with her appetite and worse... nausia. She's been up in the mornings vomiting and up at night.. Thus far, she's been unable to find when she can eat to get around it.

[:(]

I had a cold last 2 days last week. Never in my smoking life had that ever happened to me.

All the things Amy said. Well put.

On the downside, I haven't had a good night's sleep since I quit. 4am comes and I toss and turn until it's time to get up. Anyone else have this problem after quitting?

Now, Now garymd, stop making excuses to start smoking again,........... suck it up, Man !!! ...... Be strong, it's over, let the habit die, as far as a good night's sleep, what's that? I haven't had one in 4 years ......... Don't even think about smoking Tobacco again ........

OB - Excuses?? I've stated about 20 times in this thread that I'll never smoke again. I haven't had even a small urge in months. I'm just curious if this has happened to anyone else. Why are you trying to stir up trouble dude?

I had a cold that lasted just 2 days! Now THAT is a miracle!!

I had a cold last 2 days last week.  Never in my smoking life had that ever happened to me.

All the things Amy said.  Well put.

On the downside, I haven't had a good night's sleep since I quit.  4am comes and I toss and turn until it's time to get up.  Anyone else have this problem after quitting?

Insomnia when quitting tobacco is not uncommon but it is usually of short duration. It sounds like you've suffered the problem for longer than the 3 to 4 weeks it should have lasted. You can try the common sense things like going caffeine free, getting more exercise, not drinking alcohol (it disrupts sleep patterns) and trying to stay on a routine sleep cycle. If the insomnia persists it may have roots in stress or even depression that might benefit from professional intervention. Chronic insomnia can be a real problem so see your MD if it continues. Sorry to hear abut your troubles.

• Moderators

I am on day four of a cold, missed two days of work so far. This has never happened to me before, ever, as an adult. I am also feeling that I am also having allergy symptoms on things I have never been alergic to before, like Cedar. I think this is probably coincidental and has nothing to do with quitting smoking.

My mother-in-law sent me a box of Cohiba Esplindidos with a note saying she knows I quit smoking cigs but was not sure if I was "still smoking cigars because you don't inhale those." I am afraid to even light up a cigar, so what do I do with a $500+ (they are export from Paris) box of cigars? She did send 5 or 6 lps from the late 50's, including a NAB show only relase of Ahad Jamel from 1966, so I guess I can't complain.

Travis

Why are you trying to stir up trouble dude?

If I was stirring up trouble DUDE, you'd know it !!!!!!! I know the signs of people weakening to the habit, and that's how it starts, and a couple weeks later, they're smokin' cigarettes again ..................... Just trying to prevent that ................. From now on, I won't comment on the smoking issue, your lungs, your health, your body, DO WHAT YOU WANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stating 20 times that you'll never smoke again, you don't think your the first person with that answer, and started again, anyway, do you? Sorry if I offended you, just want you to live longer without the cancer sticks !!!!!!!!!!

I´m only at 2 months but I am also having the problems with sleeping, although it could be that I am just getting old and don´t need as much sleep.[:|]

Taste and smell has started to get a little more detailed but not as much as I had expected. At first smoke did not bother me but I must say I am starting to get a little agressive when I smell smoke. It is not helping much at home that the wife did not stop yet. She has reduced dramatically at home though and that makes me happy. She is one of those "don´t push me or I will smoke more just to show you I can" people. She did tell me though that it is not as fun as before when we both smoked and has reduced to about a 1/2 a pack instead of 1 pack a day. She only smokes in our entrance to the apartment and after renovation she has to go outside so thats really motivating me to get the entranceway finished. Then the apartment will be 100% smoke free.

A friend told me how he stoped: Smoke a pack, your last pack, and deposit each butt into a glass jar. At the end of the pack put water into the jar and let sit overnight. Each time he wanted to smoke he got the jar, opened it and inhaled. needless to say after that he did not want to smoke and after 2 days did not need the jar anymore. [+o(] It worked for him!!!

Ran

OB - I know you mean well but my question had nothing to do with making excuses, weakening, etc. Both my wife and I quit months ago and neither of us can stand the smell of smoke anymore. It's nausiating. Thanks for your concern though.

As far as sleep, I now go to bed much earlier because I know I'll be up before the sun. I always was an 11 to midnight in bed kind of person but now I try to get to sleep closer to 9 or 10 so I can get at least 6 or 7 hours. I'm up at 4 no matter when I go to bed. I don't drink and I ride the Norditrack 20 minutes every evening. I admit to a bit of depression during the first couple of weeks after quitting but that's normal and long gone. I'm actually a pretty happy and content person. This morning I actually fell back to sleep and woke up late. First time in ages I actually overslept! I haven't needed an alarm clock since I quit.