Most important component

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a good question and the very reason we tend to upgrade so much. Let's say you have a system with medium grade equipment. If one of those is a high end piece I think it may be less noticable in the chain rather than if one were a very low end piece.

As for your question I really don't know.

You could have some B & W 802's (I use this example as they are power hungry) with a nice MAC preamp and a Denon 100 watt amp and the speakers would not sound as good as if you had a Denon preamp and a nice MAC amp. On the other hand you could have some Korns that were very effecient and the amp would not be nearly as important as the pre amp.

Hard one for me to answer, but I'm interested in what others say!

Phil

...you could have some Korns that were very effecient and the amp would not be nearly as important as the pre amp.

But my experience has been different -- some amp changes have made a real difference with my K-horns. But so have other changes, so it may depend on which component in your system needs upgrading the most.

The holy grail - and just as elusive.

My take:

The most important component is the weakest link - whatever that is in any given system.

However good the back end equipment it is not going to sound all that good with a 128 kb/s MP3 source.

However good the source it is not going to sound all that through a pair of $12 computer speakers.

However good source and speakers it will sound bad with the wrong amp (2A3 and a B&W 801 for example)

Do I dare mention the room - how good can the best system sound in a closet?

It goes on and on. In any extreme case where one item is weak then that is the most important part. Even cables - if you dont have any the system wont sound like - well anything.

I think this is one reason we end up with so many arguments. Speakers are important - probably the most obviously important, but without the support of matching equipment behind them.......

The irony is that even Gallaudet University recommends "a high quality sound system" for use in deaf dance instruction. http://depts.gallaudet.edu/dance/techniques.html

Absolutely! I'm deaf in one ear and sometimes have really bad tinnitus and hearing distortion, so very high quality in my system is critical to making music even more enjoyable for me and not aggravating the inner-ear problems that I have.

Larry

Absolutely!

Yikes.... please don't encourage him! [:|]

Although I'm inclined to think speakers are the most important component as they can have the quickest most dramatic change in the sound... but isn't it simply more like life in general? The whole thing is about BALANCE?

Ipod through Khorns might not sound as good as CD & good amp through Cornwalls? (having never done neither, maybe it might too??!!)

Just seems to me that if you have a well balanced system then it might sound better than a different system that has concentrated all the performance in one area.

Now... can we spice this thread up? which is better, SET/PP, gear (tractor) or hydrostatic?, synthetic oil or regular? tubes or solid state? blondes or brunettes? legs or... uh, never mind [6] [A]

i have heard it said a person should find a speaker they like and build a system around that choice, by that rational the speaker would be most important to begin with...........but as the system evolves and changes inevitably made importance would have to fall to the weakest link..............and once you reach what your ears would consider audio bliss............importance should fall to the ears of the listener[:S]

and then of course you go out and listen to someones system and the game begins again[8o|]

joe

IMHO no single component can be nailed down. It's the balance of all components that makes for an awesome experience. What works great in one system can be a total different in the next.

No argument ...but (and ain't there always a butt!?)...The Cartridge......The Cartridge..........The Cartridge!!.......oh, you got a cd[li]