pCat/Peach

ssh

Dee,

I'm very happy with this combination. It doesn't replace, but adds to, the fun & enjoyment of the music.

boomac,

I think that was an emotional response based on the giddyness of a happy Peach owner, and I must say that having enjoyed the Peach for a short while, I understand the loyalty. I also know the capabilities of a pre that I've spent a few thousand hours with.

SSH

The level controls should be set so that the loudest you ever listen will occur when the volume control is all the way UP.

Mark - ALL the way up? Or at 2 o'clock? For whatever reason (ignorance), I always basically viewed the L&R dials as volume the same as the main volume. I read in the manual references to 'sensitivity'. Does this mean that by adjusting the L&R appropriately, one gets more leeway in volume levels by turning the volume knob? If correct, one would have to turn the volume knob more/farther with the L&R set low - and if the L&R is set high, the volume knob would get turned very little physically. Do I have that right? Nothing to do with quality, just volume handling/management and dealing with balances. Yes? So turn volume knob 'all the way up' or 2 o'clock (per manual)?

My brain is NOT working today. Worse than normal for sure.

I hear ya SSH! Thing is; all this gear is big money for a lot of people and I think we need to be somewhat careful no matter how giddy. When it comes to components, I believe a quality turntable may be the most significant part. But now youre talkin mega bucks to slightly improve enjoyment. I know there are folks on this Forum that can listen, compare and comment with a great deal of consistency. There are also many of us that just aint that adept at distinction. I know if I had to put money up Id be darn careful what kind of audio test Id participate in.

BTW, how's the jazz collection coming?

SSh Ive heard Juicy Music pre-amps and believe them to be of excellent quality. Im just a little miffed at some of the statements popping up on the Forum, especially when void of factual information or reasonable comparison. Marks products get enough specific and legitimate praise and after all; blows away is a pretty powerful suggestion.

Hi Boomac,

Not being critical but don't take everything so seriously. BS Button justified his 'blows it away' assessment with 'because I own one and the cabinets looks cool'. An enthusistic owner just having some fun.

Have fun.

boomac,

I've been listening to a lot of blues and classical lately, but I listened to Sonny Rollins plus 4_ last night. I haven't bought much music; I'm trying to hear what I have. Do you have a recently discovered recommendation?

SSH

SSh Ive heard Juicy Music pre-amps and believe them to be of excellent quality. Im just a little miffed at some of the statements popping up on the Forum, especially when void of factual information or reasonable comparison. Marks products get enough specific and legitimate praise and after all; blows away is a pretty powerful suggestion.

Hi Boomac,

Not being critical but don't take everything so seriously. BS Button justified his 'blows it away' assessment with 'because I own one and the cabinets looks cool'. An enthusistic owner just having some fun.

Have fun.

Ahem, absolutely. LYAO.

Spongeworthy - Aint no biggy - its just that blows it away is big talk and I think the supporting statement only came after SSH said, no, it doesnt blow it away!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

For the record, I wouldnt hesitate to buy a Juicy Music product. The combo of VRDs and a Blackberry is very pleasing to the ear!

SSH - Nothing recent. I too have been listening to a good bit of classical and now Im even enjoying some good pickin music and Dave Grisman in particular. Dawgs Groove is a pretty cool CD! Jazz wise, if you like the vibraphone, check out Lem Winchesters Winchester Special. I heard it when I was out at Allens and picked up the LP soon after.

post-11564-13819330313564_thumb.jpg

Good one Lee.[:D]

Not to beat this to death Boomac, but you clearly don't get the point. BS Button's comment was a goof - he's clowning as many do on this forum. Kidding, joking, joshing, ribbing - however you want to say it. He wasn't suggesting that the JM products 'blow it away' because he has never heard the Cary.[;)]

How about this? Any time a review is one sentence and begins with 'Exsqueeze me?', please don't look to far into it. Thanks.[8-|]

This board is filled with a few audiophiles and a bunch of clowns that like music and speakers (I am in the latter group). It's all good - enjoy!!

Yes, very funny Lee![:D] The G-man had one berry and then he got another berry and now that I checked his system profile I see he has a BlueberryX and not a Blackberry. Anyway, his system always sounded great with what ever berry happened to be in the mix.

Spongeworthy - are you & BS Button cousins? He said what the said and only joked about it after SSHs nix on blows it away. I forgive him![;)]

Anyway, Im happy for all you fruity fetished audiophiles! If I could ever give up my McIntosh rig I would certainly consider a pair of VRDs and a BlueberryX. Problem is that I could never do without those blue lit needles and dark or not, I like the MC sound. You ever hear "Money for Nothin'" through MC and Cornwalls? A couple weeks ago my tennis team did and the kids are still talkin' about it!

Spongeworthy I bought the BAT 3iX to mate with a pair of VRDs. Prior to setting that rig up, a few of us, (Garymd & Allan Songer happened to be visiting) hooked the VRDs to my McIntosh C29 pre amp. Although I do prefer the 3iX, especially for classical and female vocal, the C29 held its own. Thats 20 year old SS technology!

So, why did I sell the VRDs? I had a chance to pick up the VK-55 at a fair price and I like things that match. If I had the extra dust, another room and an even more accommodating wife I would buy another pair of VRDs and a BlueberryX in a NY minute.

So, why did I sell the VRDs? I had a chance to pick up the VK-55 at a fair price and I like things that match. If I had the extra dust, another room and an even more accommodating wife I would buy another pair of VRDs and a BlueberryX in a NY minute.

So when does the construction start for the addition? [:)]

Craig there are some things that ya just cant hide! Since Im semi retired and the boss is still punchin in it takes considerably longer to build up that rat-hole fund. Plus shes been working at home lately and seems to be more observant than in the past. I think its the speakers that yank her chain but when she gets to growling about them I play Stairway to Heaven for her and shes goes away with a smile. A small, (however annoying) price to pay for freedom.

Hey! Ive seen that new toy you made for Allan and quite frankly, Im looking for things to sell! Now that the MIL checked out I actually do have a spare room or two!

Meagain---

Yes, you have it right. Lower on the levels and higher on the VC is the better way to use it. It's not critical. It's more for convenience. Having a large range on the VC is better than having a small range. 2 o'clock or full on for loudest setting is fine - doesn't matter. I find it a lot easier to get just the right volume I want if there is a lot of range in the VC.

Hmmm... I'll have to try that this weekend. I've always had my L/R set to 2 o'clock or so, and end up with the volume around 12 o'clock at it's loudest. Maybe I'll try the L/R around 11 o'clock and then see where the VC ends up for the loudest I care to listen.

Mike

No, it doesn't "blow it away". I am still breaking-in the pCat, and getting used to it. I have about three hours of listening with the Peach/pCat, and thirty-to-forty with the SLP2002/pCat. I won't draw any conclusions about the Peach until after spending time with the Peach and several amps that I know well. Since I mostly use the JFL 2A3s, I will have a better idea of a "comparison" after that listening combination.

I didn't buy the Peach to compare it with another pre. I wanted to hear Mark's amps with the pre that he designed. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought the Peach, since I've been satisfied with the SLP2002.

I enjoy the soundstage of the Peach, and my initial impression is all smiles.

SSH

Well I've never heard a SLP, but the Peach will "blow it away" because I have one and the cabinet looks cool.

BS

T-man,

U.B. Too Much. Shoot us a photo of those new (cosmetic WAF approved) networks!

No Indy this year? Don't make JC and me call you at 3:00am again, two years in a row!

LMBO

tc

I've just begun to listen to this combo, but I'm already surprised at how well the Peach holds its own with the Cary SLP 2002 when mated to the pCat.

SSH,

Should I take it that you will not be bringing the pCat's to Indy this year? Those engineering summer school kids can make it without you for two or three days .[:D]

You have a PM.

Regards,

Terry