Transformer Covers

meagain

Two birds, one Parrot, one stone.

LOL! Craig and I exchanged an email today so that's a start! I was thinking of having him return the amps without the end caps so I can paint them properly but I don't think he's going to want to touch them. They have a Hammerite type paint on them now so I'll probably stick with that and just mask everything off pristinely and spray them. I'm a good painter. I just thought a cover would be nice also.

I have bigger fish to fry with Craig. Like new top plates. :)

LOL! Craig and I exchanged an email today so that's a start! I was thinking of having him return the amps without the end caps so I can paint them properly but I don't think he's going to want to touch them. They have a Hammerite type paint on them now so I'll probably stick with that and just mask everything off pristinely and spray them. I'm a good painter. I just thought a cover would be nice also.

You can strip the hammertone in about 3 minutes with some paint stripper--that's what I did. I then sprayed 6 very thin coats of lacquer--about half flat and half semi-gloss. You can get the same nice result with Krylon "Semi Flat Black" which you can get at Home Depot. The whole project should take you about a day and a half including drying time.

Allan - How did you and Craig pull this off? I remember wondering why I couldn't just take the end caps off and have at it, but he said something like "it's complicated". Seems they are mounted just via a hex or alan screw? So what did you do, Craig sent the caps to you for painting and you sent them back? I can't imagine that. Either way, my VRDs are going to have black transformers some day. [:D]

You can strip the hammertone in about 3 minutes with some paint stripper--that's what I did. I then sprayed 6 very thin coats of lacquer--about half flat and half semi-gloss. You can get the same nice result with Krylon "Semi Flat Black" which you can get at Home Depot. The whole project should take you about a day and a half including drying time.

Oh come on now...you guys don't like the hammertone? I think that is about the most desirable finish in all of vintage geardom - EMTs, Garrards, Leicas, BEAUTIFUL!! (and really hard to do well).

When I painted the transformers on my dynacos, I used a semi gloss heat resistant paint from Ace hardware. I was really happy with the results. I like the look of the black, and since I had replaced the power tranny, I wanted them all to match.

Bruce

"Complicated" because the bell housings are how the transformers are bolted to the top plate -- see the flanges at the bottom with the bolts fed through them? Those bolts of course protrude through the bottom of the top plate, where if you flip the amps and look underneath -- you'll see the big *** choke and all the PS caps sitting over the nuts. He'd probably have to remove half the parts (many which are soldered) to get to the nuts. As for refinishing the top plate, that would be an insane amount of work to do it right. If you want a new look, you're better off selling those and buying a new pair.

Lisa, lisa, lisa......................... taking the end bells off the amp is an all day job!! You have to completely electrically remove the transformer from the amp which entails allot of disassembly time. Replacing the top plate or refinishing it is like Dean mentioned more labor time then wiring a new set of amps. My amps have always been semi custom and up to the customer as to the cosmetic finishes they prefer on the wood and the end bells. Allan had the resources to do the work himself. The one prerequisite of this is you have to buy them new to get them like you want them.

Craig