source of hissing sound?

I just rectly got a factory refurbished Denon AVR-1906 to use with my RF-35s, RC-7, and RS-7s. I plugged it in today and noticed a very audible amount of fuzz coming from the tweeters of all the speakers. I tried unplugging all the elctronics around my speakers and receiver, hoping that one of them would lead to the problem of the sound, but to no avail. As a last ditch effort, I moved my Denon to the other side of my room and plugged in a single speaker, isolated from every other electronic source, yet the hissing soundfrom the tweeter still remained.

Is there a chance the refurbished receiver could be defective, or is there another solution that you guys can think of that might be causing the problem?

How loud is the hissing sound? Most Klipsch speakers will emit a small amount of hiss if you're within a foot or two of the tweeters. Does it get louder/quieter if you turn the volume up/down?

Sometimes using shielded directional interconnects (RCA cables) can help if its an interference issue, but I think you're simply experiencing the world of very highly efficient speakers. If its something that isn't audible during any listening of music/movies that you do there's no worry as to anything being damaged or set up incorrectly.

With my old set up (Philips FR994 receiver), this "small amount of
hiss" was aparent if I had my ear literally in the tweeter or if I
turned the volume up to full blast with nothing playing. What makesme
about 99% positive that my Denon is crap is the fact that I can have my
volume on the Denon at -69 (volume range for the AVR-1906 is -70 to
+15) and I can hear the hissing noise from four or five feet away. The
hiss stays roughly the same loudness from -69 to-10, but then will
increase incrementally from -10 to +15.

Also, to disprove that
it was electronic interference, I kept the same set-up but replaced the
Denon with the Philips, which made it to where the only audible hiss
was when my ear was as close to the tweeter as possible, or when the
volume was full blast and I was about a foot or two away...nothing
compared to how loud and obnoxious the Denon's hiss is. I decided I
should probably call Denon and talk to the guy I bought the
receiver from, because something tells me that my receiver isn't
supposed to make my speakers sound terrible, haha.

Are you hearing hiss or a buzz? They are two very different problems to troubleshoot.

Does the noise go away when you disconnect all of the input terminals to the receiver? (but leave the receiver and speakers plugged in). If it does, then it's not your receiver. The reason that you might not notice hiss on your Philips is because cheap receivers often implement gates that decouple the amp from the speakers so that no hiss is generated until a signal is present (and then the amps are recoupled to the speakers). The Denon receivers don't gate the output which would explain one way that it might be an upstream issue and not your receiver.

What are you using for a source? Is there any computer or laptop involved? What about cable TV?

The sound is a hiss. When I had the receiver isolated from everything and had nothing plugged into the back (except one speaker), the hiss was still there. I even plugged headphones into the headphone jack this morning, and there was a hiss in the headphones, too.

And even though I don't believe it matters, I have a computer and my PS2 hooked into it (computer's digital out to Coax in and PS2 connected through an optical cable).

I hear hissing from my speakers too, after I connected my F-3's the hissing was even worse.. probably because they are higher sensativity, I'm not buying cheap recievers ever again.

My friend also has the AVR-1906 and is running RF-7s off of them, and his receiver gives him no trouble at all. I'm pretty sure this model isn't crap, but this particular unit is defective.

I'm pretty sure it's the receiver.

You might look for a "straight through" or stereo only setting because, in my experience, sometimes it is the DSP circuit which is noisy. Of course then you still have the issue with Dolby decoding.

If I was in your situation I'd return the unit and go with a Yamaha. My buddies with horns have had good luck with those. Other brands or even Denon models may work well too.

Gil

I'm not dismissing the Denon out of hand or be critical without reason. Denon has a very good reputation. No insult intended. And I have no reason to doubt you've done everything possible in hunting down the problem.

I do think the other part of the issue is the sensitivity of your Klipsch speakers. If your friend's speakers are less sensitive (efficient) then he is not going to hear the problem on his system. Maybe you can borrow his receiver. I suggest that simply because it is easier to move his receiver to your place than your speakers to his place.

This could be played out when you bring your receiver to a service center. The service center might well hook them up to some low efficency, but perfectly good, speakers and find no problem. And then send you home. Or they will give you a replacement and you'll find the same issue. Or maybe not.

I do hope some resolution is found.

Gil

I would have him bring his receiver to my house, but I'm near St. Louis and he goes to college four hours away, and he won't be coming back for another month. Also, I thought about the sensativity of the speakers, but two reasons pushed me away from that. First, I don't think any receiver should put out a hiss at the lowest possible volume that is audible from four or five feet away, and secondly, my friend with the same receiver is currently running his RF-7s on it, and he has no problem.

When I talked to a Denon customer service person today, she said, "That definitely needs to be sent in for repair," which leads me to believe they too think something is wrong.

Okay, good.

Please let us all know how this works out. We here, on a somewhat informal basis, pool knowledge and experience.

As you've seen, several of us have had experiences indicating that the noise floor of some amps is too high for use with Klipsch. And there are entrenched positions on various brands which mimic the age-old Ford vs. Chevy vs. Mopar debate.

You can be the champion for Denon!

Gil

• Moderators

Do you have any pond water pumps on the same outlet ! [:$] Sorry wrong thread ! [*-)]

Dtel

I am shocked. I would not expect something like that from you. You know better then that, it is obviously being caused by having a 20 amp screw in fuse where a 15 amp should be.[:$]

Travis

• Moderators

Thats true the pumps should not cause any problem, it's just an electric motor, amp must be bad. Maby change the fuse and get some of them plastic things like they use to stop kids from sticking things in an outlet, that would stop the electricity from just leaking out the outlets, there won't be any to spare with just a 15 amp fuse.

[ I just recently got a factory refurbished Denon AVR-1906 to use with my RF-35s, RC-7, and RS-7s. I plugged it in today and noticed a very audible amount of fuzz coming from the tweeters of all the speakers. ] Banasikdrummer

I thought I'd chime in on this one because I also bought a refurbished Denon AVR-1906 from JandR.com back in December. It exhibits a problem very similar to yours! I messed around and didn't notify them until it was too late for their 30-day warranty so I might be stuck with it. They claim that for any kind of warranty work I'd have to try the manufacturer. After a short delay, it hisses until turned down or off. Mine does function in stereo mode so I operate it with my RF-5's as a 2.1 out in my living room for now. I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I'm pretty sure it's the receiver's malfunction because I am fairly familiar with this one as I have another 1906 which serves as my processor in my home theater in my back room. It has worked flawlessly for several years.

Just to stress a point....

Changing the speakers wires will absolutely make no difference at all. By all means play with it, but there is a reason there is no such thing as a "shielded speaker cable". If the cable was the problem, then you'd be getting the noise with the wire unplugged from the receiver. (Just turning the receiver off may not be sufficient since it might ground the output terminals).

I think it's safe to say that there's something wrong and that you should take advantage of any warranty period.