ALK Trachorn for K-horn?

Ed Cook

As a newby to the forums, I complicated my previous post and confused folks about my question. I'll try again.

I've heard and read generally good things about the ALK X-overs. Does anyone have experience with Al's Trachorns? How appropriate would they be to update a pair of 1970 K-horns?

1970 K-horns, 2006 La Scala, 2006 Heresy rears, Outlaw and Denon electronics

Ed, I've had Trachorns first in my '77 Belles and now use them in my '60s Khorns. I think they would make a substantial upgrade for your Khorns, even with the stock Klipsch drivers.

Here's some links to past threads. In the first thread, I also posted some more hyperlinks to past threads.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/850907.aspx

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/826871.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/865500.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/676821.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/632097.aspx

Carl.

Ed,

Welcome to the forum!
I have had my Trachorns for about three months now and I think they are a serious improvement over the K 400 horns. I am using the stock K 55V drivers with them. ALK will allow you a trial period and refund your money if you don't want to keep the Trachorns. I don't see that you have anything to lose. I'd say go for it..

George Roland

Hi Ed... Well, my experience with the Trachorns is probably not the best testimonial for the horns themselves (the Trachorns went into my K-horns along with a whole bunch of other mods). But I am 100% confident that Trachorns raise the performance of the Klipschorn to a whole new level!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Isnt it fun foolin with this stuff? [8-|]

Cheerz,

Rob

Paul,

The Trachorns improved my K-horns greatly. As an intermediary step, I used Altec 511Bs, but the trachorns are even better. They are smooth, detailed and removed a lot of the honkiness I sometimes experienced. The sound is clearer, less colored, more detailed--clean.

I just got a pair of Welborne 300B SET amps and they, along with the Trachorns, have really made these K-horns sing beautifully. The detail the SETs provide is simply breathtaking...7 gorgeous watts!!

George

George,

You are using the same, stock drivers as before?

Did the Crites tweeter mount in there without any problem?

Appreciate you thoughts on this.

Paul

Paul, my understanding from my chats with Al is the biggest 'issue' with the Khorn is the K400 horn and not necessarily the drivers. Meaning, swap out the K400 and that will yield the biggest bang for the buck. The drivers perhaps yield a bang, just a smaller return on investment. The stock tweeter either fits outright or has an adapter perhaps. Al has it cutout so a JBL 2404 or the Beyma (Model ??) will also fit.

With the gain in sweetspot I had with my JBL's, I was really intrigued to get the Trachorns in due time (had also obtained his ES networks). Unfortunately, a trip to Hope and a big black fugly newfangled speakerbox stepped in the way of that path.

with a wife like yours... you ought to make a 3 day trip up here and spend some time listening to them in stereo. Once she sees the lovelorn look in your eyes, she's sure to surprise you!!

We'll never tell her you finessed her!!

Coyote,

I thing that so amazed me with the big black ugly thing in the corner in Hope was its absolute clarity in the mids and highs. They essentially were driving it with very so so equipment. Kmart DVD player and all. Yet, it sounded to clear.

Would not cost a ton to upgrade to the new horns with the Khorns. Would cost a bit more to make the ulitmate upgrade in horns, so to speak.

One day I would like to make the change to the Jubs, but tough to swing that right now.

Wonder if the new horns would do what I am thinking they would or not.

Paul

Would not cost a ton to upgrade to the new horns with the Khorns. Would cost a bit more to make the ulitmate upgrade in horns, so to speak.

Wonder if the new horns would do what I am thinking they would or not.

Copied from Al's site: www.alkeng.com

TRACHORN 400 .....................

Horn will accept 1 inch diameter throat drivers with

JBL 3-hole 1 1/8 Inch radius or Altec 2-stud 1 1/2 Inch radius.

Set of two horns:

Black ................................................. $565.00

Two adapters for Klipsch K55V, K55M or K55X drivers (installed).

1-3/8 Inch - 18 TPI round thread screw-on mounting

(SELENIUM ADF25-25) ................................... $12.00

Set of two grill frames with detachable flush-mount tweeter bracket

(black, no grill cloth)

* Specify tweeter type: Klipsch K77, Beyma CP25 or JBL 2404

for Belle Klipsch

(Includes top section raisers and hardware) ...... $105.00

for Klipschorn ........................................ $87.00

Klipsch equivalent grill cloth installed

* Specify grill cloth: Black or Cane. ................. $75.00

Shipping:

Complete set of two horns, grill frames and tweeter rackets:

Box: 31 X 30 X 13 Inches. Weight: 28 Lbs.

Professional packing cost: $30.00

I was under the impression that he gave a 30 day money back guarantee. I further understand that no one has ever taken him up on it. If you think about it, have you ever noticed anyone selling them here, ebay, other like they might his networks or other items?? Seems everyone who's nabbed a pair has kept them.

I do NOT see any reference to a 30 day guarantee on the page I looked so I might be wrong about that.

I've never heard them but enough here that I respect have & made comments.

Now, the REAL question would be for DeanG... How do the modified Khorns WITH Al's tractrix horn and modified networks, compare to his bone stock Jubilees?

I think he's about the only one qualified to give an opinion on the differences he hears on the two setups, side by side since both have been in his room?

Found it!

** The ALK Engineering warranty **

Any crossover network or horn upgrade you buy from ALK Engineering will be worth the money you spent for it, or within the firt two weeks, I will buy it back so long as it is unmidified and undamaged. In the case of the Trachorn, you don't even have to install it. Just set it on top of your speaker, move the squawker driver and listen! All you will lose is shipping cost if you don't like it.

Does Dean have his Jubs up and running?

Yes

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/5/897363/ShowThread.aspx

I've been looking for his 'review' and if memory serves me, he made his biggest remark in a thread that has been deleted. If memory serves me, I've got a snippet of that at the office and can PM you some exerpts of it.

Is he using a passive crossover with one amp per side?

I believe so. He is the only one that is running passives. I dont know if he's using one amp per side or a stereo amp.

Paul

I had really wondered about whether the trachorns were enough bang for the buck. That answer, is of course, a subjective thing, but I was definitely impressed with the sound. It is a more open, free, and airy sound. I was actually surprised that the difference was as noticeable as it was. To my ears, I would call the difference an improvement. I don't think I realized the K400 had a somewhat constricted sound until I heard the trachorns.

Dean has mentioned an interesting thought, that the trachorn is the single most significant upgrade one can make on a Khorn.

I think I'd agree that it ranks as a significant upgrade. To my ears, though, I think the single most significant upgrade for Khorns would be changing the K77 to CT125 and crossing over to the K55 at 4500hz. That one made me say wowie. In the bang for the buck dept, it's a champ. In my system, this tweak was a shot over the fence.