RF 83: Klipsch's most underrated speaker?

ibanezhater

It's hard to find online reviews of it, except for one where they review a whole HT speaker system. It looks like one badass speaker, but not many forumites seem to own them, or have even heard them. The list price of $2,500 is nothing compared to what else is out there of similar quality.

Why no love for the RF 83?

well, we have a pair, and we love our 83s. they are tamer and more refined than the RF7s, which we also have, but it really still is a great speaker. shame its not reviewed more, but i guess klipsch doesnt really showcase their high end stuff, but advertise moreso their low end stuff that you find in the mass market retailers.

The new R series from Klipsch are the least Klipsch souning Klipsch speakers ever,that yes. They try to please a broad audience who found previous speakers like RF7's,KLF30's and company too forward sounding and bright in the upper registers. I for one prefer RF7's over the RF83's,question of personal preference.

The higher end amplification you youse the less you will hear any complaints about HARSHNESS.

Lets face the music here,how many use very high end tube amps and upper elchelon solid state class A amps? Lets be honnest here,a minority.And I as one of the few with true reference grade amps I can say the RF7's are not harsh at all.

Lets face the music here,how many use very high end tube amps and upper elchelon solid state class A amps? Lets be honnest here,a minority.And I as one of the few with true reference grade amps I can say the RF7's are not harsh at all.

True, cost considerations aside, many of us live in climates not conducive to using space heaters most of the year.

Well, the RF 7 was a very well regarded speaker - so Klipsch discontinues it! They replace it with the RF 83, a speaker that few people have.

If it wasn't broke, why did Klipsch choose to fix it?

How would a pair of 83s match with higher end tube gear, a la Blueberry + VRDs?

Well, the RF 7 was a very well regarded speaker - so Klipsch discontinues it! They replace it with the RF 83, a speaker that few people have.

Do you own a pair of RF83s or are you naturally defensive about this particular set of speakers?

I think TheEAR pretty much nailed it. RF-7s are superb speakers once you get them right. That is, they are very demanding as to sources, amps, etc. But, when RF-7s are "on," they are breathtaking. But, run by certain gear, RF-7s can also sound like nails on a chalkboard.

Klipsch made a decision to replace the RF-7s with a speaker that sonic-wise, is more palatable for the vast majority of people that do not run speakers by exotic or $$$ gear. Nothing wrong with that decision. I'm also not sure that the move to RF-83s meant that there was necessarily anything "wrong" with the RF-7. And it is always highly subjective to one's ears which speaker is better.

I also agree with TheEAR that RF-83s are one of the least Klipsch-sounding speakers that I have heard. On the other hand, to many people, that may be a good thing. Again, the RF-83s may end up having a more broad appeal than the RF-7s did. Its early yet - give them a chance.

Most underrated Klipsch speaker? In my humble opinion, either the Forte I or II.

Carl.

P.S. I'm sure that RF-83s would sound very good with a JM/VRD combo. On the other hand, quality separates (SS) would also probably do RF-83 proud.

My .2 cents on this one

The RF 83 while may be being the least Kilspch sounding speaker ( which I can't tell since I never heard all the klipsch speakers) are still very good speakers.
The Ear hit it right on the nail, the RF 83 seem to be a response to the people who have enough founds to buy quality but not that much founds, if you know what I mean..
The RF 7 need good quality gear to come alive (which means more expensive gear), the RF 83 are a easier to drive and don't require high end equipment to sound good, don't give me wrong better the equipment is better they will sound. However, I don't  know and found myself wondering if you could reach the same quality with the RF 83 that you would with RF 7  using the same high end equipement on both.
I might just have to get a set of RF 7 to see it my self, but I don't have high end gears, anyone willing to loan me the equipment?
Anyway I'm getting worry about the direction that Klipsch is taking, trying to sale cheap so they can reach the masses ( AKA BB) it seems that volume takes over the quality.
I'm affraid that they have done that with the RF 83 by tone it down so more people would like it but to get there they gave up some the performance of the speaker, therefore the few of us who are into the high end stuff would have to go back to the RF 7 to achive a higher quality.
Next thing you know the top of line is design that way but yet the price stays way up there, so you might as well go buy your polk speakers at CC or BB and save yourself some money.
It is not like it has not happen with other things, right? All I need to do is olok arounf my house and I can come up with countless examples of compagnies which have done this.
Most of us are still under the impression that the most expensive product of the line will get you better quality, the big corporates know that and using it, but unfortunatly is it not case anymore.
It seems these days they are more interested in making money then quality, the thinking being since you don't have the choice what you gonna do about it?
You don't like paying $3.00 a gallon for gas but you don't have the choice so you do it anyway.

Do you own a pair of RF83s or are you naturally defensive about this particular set of speakers?

I think TheEAR pretty much nailed it. RF-7s are superb speakers once you get them right. That is, they are very demanding as to sources, amps, etc. But, when RF-7s are "on," they are breathtaking. But, run by certain gear, RF-7s can also sound like nails on a chalkboard.

Klipsch made a decision to replace the RF-7s with a speaker that sonic-wise, is more palatable for the vast majority of people that do not run speakers by exotic or $$$ gear. Nothing wrong with that decision. I'm also not sure that the move to RF-83s meant that there was necessarily anything "wrong" with the RF-7. And it is always highly subjective to one's ears which speaker is better.

I also agree with TheEAR that RF-83s are one of the least Klipsch-sounding speakers that I have heard. On the other hand, to many people, that may be a good thing. Again, the RF-83s may end up having a more broad appeal than the RF-7s did. Its early yet - give them a chance.

Most underrated Klipsch speaker? In my humble opinion, either the Forte I or II.

Carl.

P.S. I'm sure that RF-83s would sound very good with a JM/VRD combo. On the other hand, quality separates (SS) would also probably do RF-83 proud.

I neither own a pair nor am I being defensive. It's just that these are the flagship of the Reference Series, but you never hear about them in the magazines or the online forums.

They are priced right, right between the Heresy III's $1,500 list price and the $3,500 Cornwall III. I think they look great, more than likely built like a tank, have a smaller footprint than the Cornwall, great specs...seems like an ideal rock and roll speaker. It would probably kick the butt of any similarly priced full range loudspeaker.

Of course, my crappy little local dealer doesn't carry the RF83 (or any of the Heritage line), special order only. Which means I will need to drive to either the Philly or NYC areas to do some critical listening when the times comes to buy new speakers. What I burn in gas I will save in sales tax.

Isn't it great however, that when deciding on new speakers, it's not whether or not it will be Klipsch, but which Klipsch model. Klipsch has something most brands would kill to have: extreme loyalty from their customers, myself included.

I neither own a pair nor am I being defensive. It's just that these are the flagship of the Reference Series, but you never hear about them in the magazines or the online forums.

They are priced right, right between the Heresy III's $1,500 list price and the $3,500 Cornwall III. I think they look great, more than likely built like a tank, have a smaller footprint than the Cornwall, great specs...seems like an ideal rock and roll speaker. It would probably kick the butt of any similarly priced full range loudspeaker.

Of course, my crappy little local dealer doesn't carry the RF83 (or any of the Heritage line), special order only. Which means I will need to drive to either the Philly or NYC areas to do some critical listening when the times comes to buy new speakers. What I burn in gas I will save in sales tax.

Isn't it great however, that when deciding on new speakers, it's not whether or not it will be Klipsch, but which Klipsch model. Klipsch has something most brands would kill to have: extreme loyalty from their customers, myself included.

I own a pair and if you don't mind a small room, you can hear them in nj. Also I know a dealer that ships so no sales tax and really nice price. pm me for more info

Here's my two cents....I own neither but a while back I was wondering if I should get the Rf-7s before they were nolonger available. I went down to the audio visual systems store and listened to the rf-7 and 83 side by side being powered by a high dollar crown amp and I actually thought the 83s had a better mid sound and the rf7 beat the 83 in the low end, but thats what a good sub is for. The horns are almost identical except for a 1/4 inch difference with the 83s being the smaller one. I personally liked the 83s better. So, I am being patient till I am done with school to buy the 83s although the rf7s for 1000 on the ebay store is tempting.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I am french and I write to you from France. So, could you apologize may very bad english language ?

In France, RF7 are considered as mthycal loudspeakers and RF 83 did not have a successfull launch in 2006. Passionate people are making a dash for the last RF7 still available in France and in Europe !!!

From my point of view it's because RF83 provide a new Klipsch sound which is unusual for RF7 suporters.

Nevertheless RF 83 are very good speakers. I have bought them one month ago and I am very very satisfied. They are my first Klipsch, so I was not customised with the ancient sound of Klipsch....

My listening room is 60 square meters and it's good for RF 83. I drive them with made in France preamplifier and amplifier (2x100 watt, with hight current) ATOLL PR 100 and ATOLL AM 100. The main source is a 10 years old MARANTZ CD 67 SE (I love the soud of Marantz CD drivers) .

This system is wonderfull for classical music, jazz and singers and it is a very very great pleasure to listen to it !

Welcome to the forum/ Bienvenu au forum de Klipsch.

I could not agree more with you, the same thing has happen here in the States. I also think that one of the reason for the RF 83 to be unknown to most people is because it is a new and hard speaker to find to go listen to.

I love mine

Thank you for your welcome in french !

In France and in Belgium, the most sold is RF 63 which is considered as the best by "fanatics". Numerous Web retailers in Europe one can find on eBay or Priceminister, for instance, sale Klipsch loudspeaker at low price, specialy RF 83. I have paid 1990 € for the pair. For this price, I estimate is a good deal compared with quality and pleasure !

Since I have bought my RF83, I very often wonder on numerous blogs, topics and forum about Klipsch in order to have informations and to share opinions about listening. I confirm that RF 83 is very often "bad loved" but, at the opposit, real owners are very satisfied....

The most important is the listening pleasure...and I have found it !....In fact, it's always possible to discuss and, as one say in France, "to cut hair in four parts" or "sodomize flies" . But it's a lot of time lost to the detriment of music !!!