Here's your chance to get a copy of Gary's favorite West Coast record . . .

I had my copy autographed by Jack Sheldon on my last trip to LA. The guy can still play his a$$ off! It was hilarious when I brought the album in the club, all of Jack's buddies wanted to see it since it's about 25 years old and Jack was about 75lbs lighter. I finally had to grab it back from them as they kept passing it around the table laughing hysterically. I was worried it would come back with BBQ sauce fingerprints.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new fan of Art Pepper - - sorry, I couldn't resist tossing a bid in there when I saw it was a M- record. I bought several of the Art Pepper CDs a few months back to check it out and I really enjoy them, so I figured collecting a few LPs would be fun if I didn't have to pay $100 for them.

Mark (and others),

You can buy two or more of Art's best LPs for $25 each new at Acoustic Sounds or Elusive Disc. Meets The Rhythm Section, + Eleven, So In Love. Analogue Productions pressings......amazing! Also, his later stuff on Galaxy is great and Richie Cole, Return To Alto Acres on Palo Alto Records. Any of these can be had for less than $15 NM from ebay. They're all great! Any other Atlas records that have Art as a sideman are great. He always stole the show anyway.

Youre all nuts! You believe anything Garry and Allan tell you. That record isnt worth the minimum bid. Lordy, with all the chumps on this Forum they could make a fortune in the retread record business.

Edit:

ONLY KIDDING!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Youre all nuts! You believe anything Garry and Allan tell you. That record isnt worth the minimum bid. Lordy, with all the chumps on this Forum they could make a fortune in the retread record business.

What's not to like about this session? It an incredible recording of a nice, loose session from some of the best L.A. musicians of the era. I never said it was one of MY top five records, but it IS worth owning--as are ALL of the Atlas sessions (I think there were about 20 of them before the label went under).

Then again, you're the guy who thinks Giant Steps stinks, so we'll have to take your assessment with a HUGE grain of salt!!

Love you, buddy!

Gary has never steered me (or anyone that I know of) wrong.

I can SOLIDLY 2nd that vote. Gary has always been on the square with me, and has done everything to steer me away from spending money foolishly (shame I rarely listen to that part), so as far as I'm concerned his opinion and recommendations matter and are respected.

Gary, if I never said it before, I'm saying it now, thank you for being you.

Ciao'

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Gary got Jack Sheldons autograph so hes in love with the guy. If the LP sounded like crapola hed still promote it!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Every once in a while Allan comes up with a stinker and this is one!

Some bonehead will probably bid $60 on this thing

Edit:

ONLY KIDDING!

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Gary got Jack Sheldons autograph so hes in love with the guy. If the LP sounded like crapola hed still promote it!

Every once in a while Allan comes up with a stinker and this is one!

Some bonehead will probably bid $60 on this thing

Anyone who would take your advice over mine when it comes to jazz recordings gets what they deserve!!! [:D]

You have probably listened to this record once or twice at most!

Let's hear why YOU think this one is a "stinker." And I want DETAILS!! LOL!!!

As I said before, anyone who said --AND I QUOTE YOU DIRECTLY-- that Giant Steps "stinks" should NOT have their opinion taken seriously!!!!

Jeesus, pal-- LIGHTEN UP--what on earth are YOU bent out of shape about?

So, is it or isn't it worth $60? I like Jack Sheldon. And as an added bonus he's funnier than hell too. Cracked me up the way he ran that snooty ******, the self proclaimed musician from Jersey right out of Jax the night I met you guys there. That was all time!

Lordy another voice and opinion from the flaky west coast! It isn't worth 60 cents you snappy fish!

Lets see Mr. Jazz sensei, (as you have been called!):

Art Pepper squeaks through most of the cuts; much the same way Coltrane does in Giant Steps. Random horn squeaking as Craig would say! Sheldon should stick to comedy. I only wish I had a 10 spot for every sour note he hit on that date.

Edit:

ONLY KIDDING!

I predict Rick will put in a $75 snipe bid.

I thought Jack Sheldon was cool in the Tonight Show band, and as a voice-over in Schoolhouse Rock....

Oh, I have a thing for Gary, too.

More form the fickled west coast! Will it ever end?

Sheldon in the Tonight Show Band? Could they have had a fifth trumpet? Nah! I think he might have had a gig on some daytime talk show though.

Edit:

ONLY KIDDING!

Lordy another voice and opinion from the flaky west coast! It isn't worth 60 cents you snappy fish!

Art Pepper squeaks through most of the cuts; much the same way Coltrane does in Giant Steps. Random horn squeaking as Craig would say! Sheldon should stick to comedy. I only wish I had a 10 spot for every sour note he hit on that date.

You are so full of crap. Nobody cares what you think. I am done with you.

Sheldon was Merv's band leader if I remember correctly. He also had a sitcom that lasted about 5 minutes.

Maybe Scott wants a second copy and is trying to drive everyone else away. What a sorry piece of work.

Don't bid beyond $35! Another will come up soon. They always do. If not, Scott will sell you his copy for $10 since he hates it so much. Hell, he might just give it away!

Scott, I think it's time to adjust the meds [;)]

Who luvs ya baby? [:D]

Boomac said: Youre all nuts! You believe anything Garry and Allan tell you. That record isnt worth the minimum bid. Lordy, with all the chumps on this Forum they could make a fortune in the retread record business.

IT WAS A JOKE ALLAN I FIGURED TO BID ON IT!

OK, most of you know I like Art Pepper and many of you will recall that I wrote an extensive re-cap of my last trip to LA. Within that post I talked about the great Jack Sheldon and how much I enjoyed his show out there.

I own the LP Angel Wings and in fact, its been on my turn table for a week or so. I went to check out who played the drums on the record and found the cover empty. It gets a lot of play at my house.

I would have bid on the current e-Bay offering but I understand there are a few Forum members that want it too. Since I have one already, Ill pass on this one.

With that, I beg the forgiveness of Allan......... who cant seem to take a freakin joke today!