DWILAWYER: Awwmygawd!!!!!!!!!

Our Lady of Low Frequencies protect my woofers! Dang, Travis, you in good with the man upstairs, or what? I got a call at work from the school nurse that my daughter had an issue and she couldn't contact my wife, so I had to come pick her up. Turned out to be nothing (a GOOD thing!), but when I got home there was the below tape on the kitchen table. I'd planned to go back to work, but that urge quickly went away. Instead, I returned to the bench to finish my restoration of the Sony (also below). I'd abandoned it for More Important Things (read: honeydoos) a couple of weeks back. However, now I was free with an afternoon and the promise of FUN. After lugging the 75 lb. beast up to the listening room I plugged it into the back of the DBX4BX, threaded her up, and crossed my fingers. Transport took off smoothly and then...

The house SHOOK as the Mighty Wurlizter roared to life. Ever see Klipschorns SMILE? THAT's what I'm talking about. Frankly, I expected them to dance. Made me want to withdraw my "CD's with the sound of analog" thread. They are far better than all but a few, but this 40 year old tape ROCKS with effortless sound from DC to light. After the first piece, I flipped to the DBX active mode, and the hiss disappeared (had not been a lot to start with) and the dynamics opened up to "real world" virtual presence. I swung and swayed through side A, then deftly flipped the reels without rethreading as though it had not been 20 years since I packed my R2R away and continued through about 2 beers worth of total fun.

Thank you, Travis!! You da MAN. I'll have to figure out how to reciprocate someday, and you are welcome to Seabrook anytime. I consider a knock at the door adequate warning.

As I mentioned on my other thread, I am wanting to use one of my sites to make some stuff available for download to the group. I will definitely digitize this one to see how well digital holds up...BIG JOB in this case.

So now I head to the garage to dig up my several cases of reels from the auld days. At least I know there won't be any seed burns on them like some of my original LPs...[H]

Dave

post-9494-13819333816546_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Mallett,

Great write up. When I saw the cover of that box it had your name written all over it! I was really hoping it would have great sound because I know how much you like HIGH QUALITY recordings of organ music. I gave it a spin on the Tandberg, no NR, no expansion, and I thought it sounded incredible and I don't even care for organ music. I tell you what, you are very lucky. If I had not posted that you had something coming your way before I even received that tape, it probably would not have made it down your way. I hope you get a lof of enjoyment out of it, and I also hope it gets you into using that Sony more.

Travis

I've just found out that playing my 40-year old pre-recorded R2R tapes on my Revox A-77 is a REVELATION -- extraordinarily clear, full-sounding, strong bass like nothing else from any sound source including vinyl. I bought a smallish bunch of these tapes when I thought I was going to phase out LPs and only do pre-rec R2R (I recorded a handful of good LPs first). That fell apart with the collapse of the pre-rec tape market, I guess in the late 1960's. They've been sitting in a little bookcase, mostly unplayed, ever since. I now have the Revox hooked up to the preamp, where it will most likely stay through the October 20 Klipsch/Strathmore fest.

The tapes have a unique, effortless, linear sound quality. Individual instrument tone qualities sound uncannily clear, accurate, and real, and well separated from other instruments and what little noise there is. Gary has heard one so far, and seems to agree. I thank Travis for keeping after me and being the inspiration for doing this.

Larry

Right on Gary. I borrowed my parents rtr for a while back in the eighties, loved that big sound. It only recorded on one channel though, and I ended up giving it back when I moved. It was a sony from the seventies I think, and long since donated.

I guess I feel the same way. Back in the 70's the first play of every new LP I purchased was directly to my Teac 2300S, DBX encoded. I actually felt they sounded better (though that makes no sense scientifically) than from the LP. There is no doubt that one did not have that anticipation of a new tick, pop, or crack playing back from the reel. OTOH, I can't really see going back from digital now for archiving. That includes my several cases of R2R. However, I think I'll keep it around in the system even when that is done for the occasional pickup from a flea market or surpise Easter Bunny visit. Looks cool, too. Young'ns come in and say, "WOW, awesome...what is it?"

Gary: Perhaps I missed it, but I did not understand just WHAT R2R you heard recently?

Dave