Just in - Review of RSW-15, SVS Ultra & HGS 18

kleggatt

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great to see my hgs-18 complemented on it's performance

on music. i agree! cwm4.gif

it seems the svs ultra are a great sub & value, but why do they get reviewed as a pair here? was this a review for subs or sub packages? a lil unfair, but the dual ultra's do still seem to be the best for overall performance/cost. but guess i can say i paid the premium for those bass qualitative attributes he mentioned w/ the hgs Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 12-17-2001 at 02:21 AM

With a quick look, I would say the RSW's performance is very disappointing. Makes me very happy to have purchased my VTF-2's. Although I am sure that my subs run out of gas at around 105-110db, that is far louder than my normal listening. But for $1000 (for two subs) they measure flat, in my room, to 20hz. I have not seen any subwoofer review since my purchase that makes a compelling, real world usage, argument to spend more.

Congratulations to SVS for being the obvious choice in this shootout, however.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

This message has been edited by Kevin S on 12-17-2001 at 09:03 AM

The Klipsch RSW15 has no real deep bass power! Frown.gif The RSW10 I have on test also(to a much greater extent) lacks deep bass,in fact the Sunfire Junior beats it hands down on deep sub bass! HA The KSW15 looks like a Goofy sub in there with the SVS and Velodyne.

Not for me the RSW,Klipsch you better ask Bob Carver to design an amp and EQ for your subs.Even some Velodyne techs could improve the lower octaves alot.

The high SPL above 70Hz are of no use,I cut my subs around 40Hz.A sub should linear,not peaky like the stock market.

My HGS18 fares damn well Smile.gif The best sounding sub(to the reviewers ears),me I prefer the SVS Ultras with a better amp,with a better amp I am sure the SVS Ultras would best the HGS-18 in percieved bass quality.

Amps have no impact on bass quality?! BS They have

My trusty Carver TFM-75 knocks a bass hole in the Samson.

Now time they compare the best subs to the Revel B15 they are in for a surprise. Smile.gif Will nor best two Ultras but will come damn close from 25Hz up.And where is the Aerial SW12? Hmm they need more high-end subs in there.And to make TV mad they should include a master JBL Ti-K sub with a slave Ti-K!A pair can top all the subs in the article above 20Hz.Scary power and quality.The Ti-K enemy is price,6 grand for the master sub and 5 grand for each additional slave!BURP

Overall a good article,shows no sub is perfect. Frown.gif

Just for fun they should get the Krell MRS and compare it in there.Would be fun to see how it fares.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Wow great article. Anyone else notice that the reviewer's main towers where KHorns? Too awesome. He mentioned that the SVS's were a good match with them.

Bye,cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 12-17-2001 at 12:40 PM

I'm glad you liked the review. I contaced every manufacturer I could think of for this review (including Krell). Most of them returned my calls, but when I sent the list of the subs that had alredy signed onto the list, some became suddenly silent.

Sunfire, Krell, . . I tried to get them all.

The artlice started on the premise of $1000-$3000 price range, since a single SVS-Ultra was near the bottom, I asked for two.

If you have any questions about anything feel free to ask...

I am sure the answer is no, but is there any way to extrapolate the data out and compare it to the data from the TN list? At least roughly.

I have a Veldoyne SPL 1200 - I am just curious as to how it would compare to the measurements on this list. If the RSW 15 can only do 93 db at 20 Hz here, what would it do in TN's room? My SPL did 90 db at 20 Hz in TN's room, what would it do in this room? More, less?

I am beginning to think more and more that I made a good decision by not waiting for the RSW subs and snatching up an SPL at a good price.

And what's with the LF 10's? I went in to my local dealer to listen to some new RSW subs - they didn't even have one to display. But the first thing I saw when I walked in the door (literally, on display as I walked in) was an LF 10 "on sale" for "only" $649. They have them in their adds, too. For all of you AZ people, I am talking about Showcase. I called them back in October, and they were expecting a shipment of RSWs anytime. Now here we are in the middle of December, and nothing - I don't think Klipsch has shipped any of these out yet, and if they have, they haven't been received by anyone.

quote:

SVS was contacted and asked what our baddest subwoofer system we sold was...we sent out the dual CS_U/S1000 package.

Relatively flat to 14hz,3x the bass as the closest competitor at 20hz...

...we did ok,

Uh - yeah - I would say you did ok when your product(s) costs less, and obliterates everyone else, especially when some are considered the king of the hill. Congratulations! Some day, when I have a dedicated room, SVS will be the first ones I look at!

Bryan

This message has been edited by bacevedo on 12-17-2001 at 03:32 PM

It appears that Brian Weatherhead's review in Secrets has added another jawdropper to the SVS arsenal.It looks like Tom and Ron's Viper has struck again.Ugh....

Is it me or can I hear crickets chirping in this forum.

Just having some fun fellow Klipschters.Good luck Tom and Ron. Adios

I said it before and i'll say it again, Klipsch make excellent speakers and i'll hopefully have mine for a long time and then upgrade to better Klipsch like Khorns. But i've been around now form 4 series of klipsch subs, KSW 100, KSW 200, KSW 300, LF10, LF12, KSW 10, KSW 12, KSW 15, and know the RSW 10, 12, 15 and of all of these excluding the RSW series I thought the original KSW series the 100, 200, 300, were the best but were also the largst. Now i see again that SVS has beat even the GREAT RSW 15!!! I owned both the KSW 300 and KSW 15, no contest the KW 300 was better!!! So what's going on!!! I own SVS and i'm glad for the price/performance that i recieve. Believe it or not i was rooting for you this time klipsch, but to no availe again. Speakers are definately your strong point. Before you all let the flames begin i do love klipsch it's just the sub department where they need to go back to the drawing board again.

Craig

quote:

Originally posted by TheEAR:

Kleggatt,

Thanks for the link,GREAT ALL THESE SUBS I FEEL LIKE HOME
Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

What you mean here? You and Kevin must feel like an OUTCAST. Smile.gif Most of ears subs & hsu not here because they too chicken. Bawk, Bawk, Cluck, Cluck

I rest my case. MUHAHAHA

------------------

go forth & hump the world

well guys,i think the test should have still been one on one ,lets compare one svs ultra to one rsw15 or better one svs ultra to one revelb15 , i don't care how much money they are if i want the best performance i'm not to worried about money {within reason} if i only have room for two subs well give me specs for 2 b15's or 2 rsw15's versus 2 svs ultras also were the subs in this test brand new or were they broken in and ready to run? also congrad's to tom v and company looks like your subs are a great buy,i'm in the market for some subs and i have emailed you with a great response,it's still fun to compare thanks

This message has been edited by h2xmark on 12-19-2001 at 07:37 PM

Subtract about 5-6dBs from the SVS output to get an idea of what the single CS_U/S1000 would do. At $1399...it's still a good performer I think.

And the whole idea of *let's forget about money* is somewhat far fetched for any sort of meaningful comparison test regarding ANY type of HT gear. 99.9% of us...shop within a given budget...I know I do. If you have one guy out of 1000 who doesn't need to bother worrying about prices...that's nice for him...

TV

ForrestDump,

Dont you have anything informative to say?Your barking has become bothersome.Take your medication pal.

My army of subs is world class and will get larger with time,I plan to have a good 10 heavyweight subs in my systems.

Aerial SW12

Revel B15

Velodyne HGS18

Sunfire Signature

Sunfire Mark II

Sunfire Junior

Carver Knight Shadow

7 in place and 3 to go...

SVS Ultras(pair)

SVS SS(pair)

B&W ASW4000

WHO MORE CRAZY? WHO?

TV,

Yes the SVS Ultra performs like a true champ,even if used as a single sub it will outperform many.And to top this off its a GIANT value and THE BEST BUY IN SUPER SUBS.

The Velo HGS18 did a great too,for a single driver unit(make this a BIG driver).

I doubt the Revel B15 would do bad,or the Aerial.Its just these cost more to much more then the Ultra and would not be GREAT BUYS after comparing to the SVS Ultras.With the Ultras you pay for drivers and OUTPUT,not for fancy construction and finish.Plain and simple.

The Krell MRS is simply a bad value when you consider its monster price tag.

Oh by the way TV,today I was able to test the newest Wilson Audio sub the WATCH DOG.This beast has to be heard and seen to realise the quality and quantity of bass that comes out of it!This sub is also built like NO OTHER(besides the Krell MRS),its a NUCLEAR RESISTANT chest that weighs over 280lbs!A real piece for the wealthy and sickos.I have to say even my Aerial SW12 is not up to this level of quality and built quality! WOW What a piece

Again if you can listen to a well integrated Wilson WTACH DOG do it just for fun.Damn its 18 grand Canadian $. BURP

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ear,

I have a question for you since you have a vast array of subs. How would you compare the Revel B15 to the Aerial SW12 in SPLs and in quality/articulation of bass? Also, you would equate a single SVS Ultra to roughly the same performance as the Aerial SW12 correct? I'm trying to get an idea how these three subs would compare to each other. Oh, how is the B15 compared to the HGS 18? I only have had the opportunity to hear the HGS 18 and the B15.

quote:

Originally posted by TheEAR:

ForrestDump,

Ultras.With the Ultras you pay for drivers and OUTPUT,not for fancy construction and finish.Plain and simple.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Earmite you really mean with SVS you dont pay for the image and hype like you do with the likes of Carver Sunflower, Krell, Aerial, Revel and Wilson,

dont you? MUHAHAHAHA

------------------

go forth & hump the world