Heresy III opinions

I wanted to ask if some of you who have heard and are familiar with the earlier Heresy editions might comment on some impressions of this latest version. What physically is different about them -- drivers, overall size, etc., I think I remember seeing that they are a little more efficient than past models, but am curious....

Thanks in advance,

Erik

Erik, when I heard them at the pilgramage a couple of years ago, they were deeper voiced than past models. They have a different woofer and probably crossover as well. The cabinet is slightly larger, the grills go on with magnets, and of course they have the different riser.

I remember being very impressed with the sound, but still too small for my liking.

Greg

I drove over to the coast and looked at a pair of 2006 H-III's a few weeks ago; too pricey for me right now (they wanted over $900 for the pair); but the bass is much better; probably two reasons, cabinet is larger (taller) - thus more volume, and the woofer is now a K-28. I guess with the new drivers, improved crossover, proper riser angle, etc. that alot of the complaints about the lack of "bass" has been overcome as well as can be done with a speaker of that size. Very "crisp"; bass was more "punchy" rather than "room filling", but I think that was due to how they were placed (either side of a stereo H/T setup. They were more of a center channel arrangement rather than being in the corners at an angle.

On the components, you might want to check with Bob Crites re the K-28; He's been playing around with it and it may be the best replacement/ upgrade for the old K-22/24's in the H-I's and H-II's. Right now, other than caps and making sure the cabinets are sealed, the only "factory" upgrade for a H-I/II is the K-24 woofer. I put a new pair of the K-24's (NIB) in a pair of H-I's and they are much better than the original 22's. The 28 may be even better, but I'm waiting until someone tries them in a H-I/II cabinet. They are unfortunately, a little pricey compared to the 24.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the actual enclosure size has not changed just a different set of drivers. I believe Heresy III dimensions are listed higher because the riser is now standard and before it was an option. All other dimensions are identical to the Heresy and Heresy II.

Craig

They didn't change the size but they did change mid and tweeter diaphrams to titanium.

Tweeter K-107-TI 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver and tractrix horn.

Mid range K-53-TI 1.75" (4.45 cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver

This led to higher sensitivity which is now 99db 1w 1m from 97db 1w 1m..

I thought they did a great job on the Heresy.

Erik,

I haven't had the opportunity to listen to them side by side, but from my memory of what the earlier Heresy sounded like compared with what I heard with the HIII's they definitely have a more robust bass.

That K-28 woofer plays a couple of db louder than the K-24, so Klipsch was able to make some adjustments to make the HF (now titanium drivers on both) compliment the new woofer and increase the HIII efficiency, relative to the older models.

From looking at the posted specs for all three Heresy versions, I'm not sure what I'm looking at there. The lower frequency numbers seem ambiguous to me.

The HIII cab is something short of three inches taller than the older Heresy cabs. The other dimensions are the same. It's not enough to make the HIII look much different unless it is side by side with an older cab. How much difference that little bit of increased volume makes is a burning question, eh?

Look for an email from me.

Oh yeh, the crossover looks as complex as the AK-4. LOTS of big yellow caps.

Erik,

I haven't had the opportunity to listen to them side by side, but from my memory of what the earlier Heresy sounded like compared with what I heard with the HIII's they definitely have a more robust bass.

That K-28 woofer plays a couple of db louder than the K-24, so Klipsch was able to make some adjustments to make the HF (now titanium drivers on both) compliment the new woofer and increase the HIII efficiency, relative to the older models.

From looking at the posted specs for all three Heresy versions, I'm not sure what I'm looking at there. The lower frequency numbers seem ambiguous to me.

The HIII cab is something short of three inches taller than the older Heresy cabs. The other dimensions are the same. It's not enough to make the HIII look much different unless it is side by side with an older cab. How much difference that little bit of increased volume makes is a burning question, eh?

Wow almost three inches taller.... I would have lost that bet! 
Did they use thicker MDF as well?

Erik,

Wow almost three inches taller.... I would have lost that bet!

Did they use thicker MDF as well?

I think, like Craig said, the HIII now comes with the riser as standard. Whereas before it was optional. This might be what's accounting for the extra 3" in hieght.

The Heresy II and the Heresy III are the same height, see attached photo. The H III is 7 pounds heavier than the H II and the H III has bi wiring where the H II hasn't.

After A / B both H II and H III the H III had deeper and tighter bass but in the top end there wasn't much difference and IMO the H II sound slightly smoother in the top end.

HERESYII ON THE LEFT AND HERESYIII ON THE RIGHT.

post-24257-13819333950766_thumb.jpg

OK, my bad

Skeg,

Thanks for the pics. I've been wondering about that for months. Below are the published dimensions, but I hadn't imagined that Klipsch was now counting the riser height in the cabinet dimension.

Heresy III

dimensions23.81" H (60.48 cm) x 15.5" W (39.37 cm) x 13.25" D (33.66 cm)

Heresy II

dimensions21.375" (54.29cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm) x 13.25" (33.66cm)

That is really good to know, bro.

The Heresy series is the Pit-Bull of speakers Small, mean, and full of bite. I know understand why they still make them, great all around speaker that can be used anywhere, and not take up the whole room. They suit my purpose just right......the longer I own them, the more I like them................

• 3 years later...