DirecTV gets a poor review

33klfan

Well, we were going to get set up with directv friday, and i got the hd package and all of that, but the guy said that he couldn't get strong enough signal for hd. I don't think the young kid was real knowledgeable but i don't know. We have trees around our house and to get it above the trees the angle was too severe and wasn't strong enough. I read about this on the internet and someone else said this happened to them so it sounds kind of funny. Dish network came out to the same people and they were fine. Now, i wonder if i should try dish. I also read that people have a lot of problems with the directv hd dvr. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shouldn't get started on DirectTV. Horrible, lousy, crooks, inept, .........................

I had directTV for a year. In that year they were here on 12 service calls. No service signals, lousy equipment, incompetent service people. I had service less than half the time I was with them. Oh, and my TV was pixelizing with black squares on the darker screens. They had the nerve to tell me it was my new TV. While the tech rep was here, I drug the TV out of my sons room and swapped the cable to it. SAME THING. Then I went to my bedroom and got my 26" older tv out and plugged it up to the dish. SAME THING. He had the nerve to tell me I had 3 defective TVs. After the 12th service call with the 7th new box and listening to their crap I asked/TOLD the tech to get his A$$ out of my house FAST.

10 minutes later I was on the phone to Dish Network. 3 days later I had full service including HDTV Dish Network in my home. It's been almost a year now and I have had ZERO problems. Perfect picture and excellent products. Oh, BTW, same 3 bad tv's. Yea right!

What do I have to say about DirectV? Same thing I told their attys when they want me to give them the $246.00 balance on my contract. GO F>>urelv.

Just my experience with them though.

My mom had DirecTV come out and they told her they couldn't put up the dish because of the trees. I called Dish Network, a couple of days later she has Dish also. Works great. She just hasn't figured out the remote. Still griping about it.

I have absolutely nothing good to say about DirecTV.

HarryO

• Moderators

We have dish and the only problem we had was when they installed one of the dishes they didn't cement one of the poles in the ground. The poles are only about 4 feet tall and worked itself loose enough to move a little. I tried to get it lined up myself, but had to call them out, the man they sent couldn't figure out why only one of the poles were cemented? There are two small dishes, I think one if for HD only ?

We are about to call them back again because we have to upgrade the HD box to the new model to get the newest HD channels and add another room and one more HD receiver. Hope it all goes OK

Well, I don't know, I have DirecTV, have had it for several years. Have had HD for almost a year now, and have had no problems.HD looks fantastic, surround sound could be better. I even installed the HD antenna myself when upgrading from the regular antenna. Maybe it is just where you are located. I've ordered a few boxing matches from them as well in HD, and it is just awesome.

For me, it was DirecWay... DirecTV's broadband provider. They basically bilked me out of $300 for "services" that they never provided, but billed me without my knowledge.

Not only will I never again do business with any DirecTV company, but I take any opportunity available to educated others about DirecTV's practices.

I've had Dtv for a long time, can't remember how long, probably since '96 or so and never had any real problems anywhere I've been and I move from town to town like gypsie. It's good I guess, but the only real reason I won't switch is because of Sunday Ticket. I just ain't gonna live without it.

Direct TV had, overall, been fine. The last house I was in was fine until trees grew up, then my HD signal was just OK.

I put it in our house and it does great. Beats the crap out of our local cable people, cheaper. Only complaint I had was they sent a wuss out to install it. He winned the entire time about having to run new lines to each room. Finially I went into the attick with him and helped where eventially I fell through the ceiling which cost me about $500 in repairs.

Other than that it is fine!

Any Photos? Please!

I must be a sick person. I got a pretty good chuckle out of this Phil. My apologies. It's just a fleeting picture of plaster flying and a look of "Holy crap" on your face. I hope you're ok.

I wonder if the dish installers have a Pool on the best install of the day. That's a story worth retelling.

Harry

I've had Dtv for a long time, can't remember how long, probably since '96 or so and never had any real problems anywhere I've been and I move from town to town like gypsie. It's good I guess, but the only real reason I won't switch is because of Sunday Ticket. I just ain't gonna live without it.

That's me. I basically don't have a choice as long as DTV only has the NFL. I have had them for a long time-10 yrs plus-and have been happy. The DTV HD DVR has worked itself out. Tivo it is not, however. Also, I was not to happy to pay a $300 upgrade charge for the privilege of RENTING the unit. I have been able to get about $150 back in credits for pain and suffering. They were throwing $50 at me every time I called for a while just to get me to say I was satisfied at the end of the call.

I am very much looking forward to more HD channels!

The new dish network vip 622 system is fantastic.

I just got the same system installed today and am impressed so far.

They have a couple of issues to work out with my attic TV due to a split I have in my cable line, but I am confident they will take care of it. Moving to Dish Network is going to reduce my cable bill by over $40 per month from Time Warner - after the 10 month promo period - with an increase in services.

Any Photos? Please!

I must be a sick person. I got a pretty good chuckle out of this Phil. My apologies. It's just a fleeting picture of plaster flying and a look of "Holy crap" on your face. I hope you're ok.

I wonder if the dish installers have a Pool on the best install of the day. That's a story worth retelling.

Harry

I don't think I took pictures. However, my wife and daughter were doing homework at the table where I went through. Daughter started crying as well as son (scared them), and I'm cussing. Daughter eventially looked at mommy and asked if we had to move again (we had just bought the home a few months earlier) now that I broke the house.

The new dish network vip 622 system is fantastic.

I just got the same system installed today and am impressed so far.

They have a couple of issues to work out with my attic TV due to a split I have in my cable line, but I am confident they will take care of it. Moving to Dish Network is going to reduce my cable bill by over $40 per month from Time Warner - after the 10 month promo period - with an increase in services.

Check out that dbstalk link I posted. Really good info with useage tips & tricks. I added a laptop chill mat to help mine run cooler.

Talk about bad Karma!

I just got my latest bill and it jumped from $85/month to $120/month.

They "adjusted the bill" outside of our agreement. I am now "discussing" this with a customer service rep in, I guess, India.

I have just dropped HBO, HD services, and DVR services.

I have always talked very positively about their services, but now I am being told this was a deal with Primestar and that DireTV has changed the "agreement".

They just royally shafted me, with a two year contract as well.

I now HATE DirecTV.

BEWARE!!!!