Play me a tune, man!

• Moderators

Thanks Seadog- good suggestions. I think some Steely Dan is a winner. Looking at some SRV or maybe Robert Cray for blues guitar.

What for rock? Is that going to be the toughest category? Leave it to me and I'll have some classic Zep and Yes or Stones!

Yes to all of them, can't go wrong there ! [Y][Y]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have to ask... Why no Diana Krall or Norah Jones?? Even if

you don't like the musical styles, you have to admit that the

production and recording values for these two artists are nothing short

of outstanding. And IMO, very good recordings are what should be

used to seperate the "wheat from the chaff" when it comes to

speakers. No big deal...just curious.

The problem with Krall (dunno about Norah Jones but it's gotta be similar) is that the natural distortions of most speaker systems don't affect the perceived quality of playback. In other words, Krall sounds good on anything. The recordings are also done in a manner to present everything larger than life...again making lessor systems sound better than they should.

I dunno...what are you listening for when trying to judge the quality of a speaker when listening to Krall? Like what are the better speakers going to do better? And how readily audible is it going to be?

Personally I enjoy auditioning speaker systems with difficult passages and instrumentation.

Rock bands with three different brands of guitar overdubbed where each can be distinctly heard are one test. The true grittiness of Jon Lord's Hammond B3 organ (Leslie and tube overdrive) is another. The snap of the stick on drum of a delicate player like Carl Palmer or Ian Paice. Brian Jones' mellotron and maracas in the heavy mix of some early Stones recordings. Stuff like that.

The recordings are also done in a manner to
present everything larger than life...again making lessor systems sound
better than they should.

IMO larger than life
presentations require larger than life speakers to do them
justice. This is where I feel that the big Klipsch really
"seperate" themselves from most other speakers...

• Moderators

Personally I enjoy auditioning speaker systems with difficult passages and instrumentation.

Rock bands with three different brands of guitar overdubbed where each can be distinctly heard are one test. The true grittiness of Jon Lord's Hammond B3 organ (Leslie and tube overdrive) is another. The snap of the stick on drum of a delicate player like Carl Palmer or Ian Paice. Brian Jones' mellotron and maracas in the heavy mix of some early Stones recordings. Stuff like that.

Michael,

I understand the principles behind difficult passages and instrumentation, but what difference does it make if I am not familiar with the selection? I thought you always said, "Be sure to bring along musical selections you are familiar with when auditioning speakers."

Maybe you should make the selections you want us to audition the speakers at the Pilgramage and "call it done".

They should be BOTH, it's difficult task to do for a varied lot like us. I'll just do my best at it, it was too difficult to try to do by committee.

Suffice to say that there will be very varied musical styles of well recorded, interested selections that most members should be somewhat familiar with.

Thanks for all the input gang!

Personally I believe it would be easier to listen for exteme passages if one is UN-familiar with the music selection. That way the mind wouldn't be as distracted by wanting to "mentally hum-a-long" with the music instead of paying more attention to the high dynamics or frequency range.

• Moderators

Michael,

I understand the principles behind difficult passages and instrumentation, but what difference does it make if I am not familiar with the selection? I thought you always said, "Be sure to bring along musical selections you are familiar with when auditioning speakers."

Maybe you should make the selections you want us to audition the speakers at the Pilgramage and "call it done".

Bingo!

I don't think there is one compilation CD that can get the job done.... Unless you use tunes like Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Stairway to Heaven, Hey Jude, or the Theme from the Flinstones. Ok, so not really those, but you get the idea. We need to listen to things that everyone knows...especially considering the large number of "non-audiophile" guests that will be attending. It's a lot more fun to listen to stuff you know, also...

• Moderators

Allison Kraus--When You Say Nothing at All...excellent voicing and instrumentation, some James Taylor, ZZ Top, Doobie Brothers.......

But, of course, Michael you know better what we should be listening to when auditioning the speakers.

Maybe I will bring along my own compilation of music to listen to....[;)] On second thought maybe I won't bring my own compilation...why would I want to listen to music that I am familiar with anyway?[:^)]

I see some very good selections. I too would want some things I'm familiar with, and some I'm not. Here're my suggestions:

Mars (I think) from Holst The Planets - the section with everything playing full tilt - really sounds like crud on my modest system, I think mostly sending smallish amplifiers into severe clipping with inefficient speakers (not sure I've tried it with my highest power amp, might not be safe with my smallish inefficient speakers) and possibly overloading the front end

Flight of The Cosmic Hippo by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - heard this played as a demo at a high end audio show a few years back through $16,000 / pair Hales speakers to demonstrate bass extension and to dispel the notion of wimpy "Hales" bass - wasn't as impressed as I thought I should be - especially being driven with $60,0000 - $80,000 + of Krell electronics including massive monoblock power amps - thought that the Amrita speakers driven by Aragon components in another room sounded as good with more punch when called for - and John (?) from Amrita and Tony Federici from Mondial designs were a lot more fun

I wouldn't worry too much about non-audiophile types which would definitely include me - I've always viewed Klipsch as being more concerned with music (and soundtracks) than whatever the Holy Grail du Jour is for the audiophile crowd. It seems the audiphile types only grudgingly admit to liking Klipsch speakers - still don't understand why - maybe it's because they're can't stand to actually listen to the music as they seem overly concerned with listening to the equipment - I'm not sure that some of them even like live music

Not exactly a good 'test track' although it may be a favorite. I'm looking for songs that are difficult to reproduce, with complex passages, tones at the limits of frequency response, etc. You guys are kidding me, right?

I've actually found the best "test tracks" to be music you are very familiar with, not necessarily complex with lots of range. It's difficult to tell how good the speakers are comparitively if you've never heard the song before. I guess that's why some of our engineers choose the Doobie Brothers and Supertramp as their test tracks. [;)]

HA!

Amy you read my mind! I'll add Dire Straits to the list.

How about some Chicago, any of the older stuff with the full horn section wailing away.

We make good use of that here too.

Will BS&T suffice? I"ve got a tune of their on the prospective list. David Clayton Thomas' voice is much more interesting than Peter Cetera any day.

Dire Straits is on there too. Take Five by Dave Brubeck, Planets Holst, Allman Brothers, Keith Emerson Piano solo, Steve Howe (Yes) guitar fiddly bits, more jazz.... I'll be recording something this week and putting it to the test here before you guys get here.

How about some Chicago, any of the older stuff with the full horn section wailing away.

We make good use of that here too.

Will BS&T suffice? I"ve got a tune of their on the prospective list. David Clayton Thomas' voice is much more interesting than Peter Cetera any day.

Dire Straits is on there too. Take Five by Dave Brubeck, Planets Holst, Allman Brothers, Keith Emerson Piano solo, Steve Howe (Yes) guitar fiddly bits, more jazz.... I'll be recording something this week and putting it to the test here before you guys get here.

Yes, BS&T will be wonderful - I'm more familiar with Chicago but BS&T has been floating up to the top of the music to get list for a long time.

The recordings mentioned will be wonderful. Even quite a few things I'm at least somewhat familiar with and some I probably should be. Sounds like a good approach to me.

• Moderators

Not exactly a good 'test track' although it may be a favorite. I'm looking for songs that are difficult to reproduce, with complex passages, tones at the limits of frequency response, etc. You guys are kidding me, right?

I've actually found the best "test tracks" to be music you are very familiar with, not necessarily complex with lots of range. It's difficult to tell how good the speakers are comparitively if you've never heard the song before. I guess that's why some of our engineers choose the Doobie Brothers and Supertramp as their test tracks. [;)]

HA!

Amy you read my mind! I'll add Dire Straits to the list.

Supertramp will FOREVER remind me of this place, Andy, thanks to you. [:)]

What about Boston or Rush? Not the obscure tunes--the KNOWN stuff! And how bout some more contemporary tracks, like Chili Peppers, Coldplay, Sarah McLaughlin, Dave Matthews... anyone heard of the John Butler Trio?

Amy, bring me some CD's with tracks marked. Supertramp definitely fits the bill.

Remember folks this is demo music, not test tracks. We want to listen to the systems, not the bands specifically. In that vein, obscure but great tracks by known artists would be comfortable, but not too familiar.

I'm told by several people 'in the know' here that familiar tunes might not be the best for this case, but well played, well recorded tracks that test the limits of reproduction, response and dynamics are what we are looking for.

I think this might be one of the most difficult tasks of the Pilgrimage. Surely some of you will wish to hang me at day's end.