3 minutes to Miller Time

jacksonbart

Enjoying reading about the high end shotguns as I sip a bourbon and water. Tonight is my value bourbon which is Ancient Ancient Age Ten star (90 proof). It holds up pretty well. I'm glad I only tote around a cheap gun while I stumble around a stray beaver swamp or creek trying to harvest a duck now and then. I couldn't imagine dunking a nice gun in the water in an unseen hole.

Cheers Gentlemen,

Carl

I remember hunting ducks with a friend and a biology professor from UNC-W. My friend wades out to throw out the decoys and stepped into a hole deeper than he is tall. All you could see was an arm holding up a 12 gauge Browning....still dry.

Hey Tarheel,

Is your friend named Richard (goes by Dick)? I'm an alumnus of UNCW with degrees in Marine Biology so I think it may be him. I know he is a humter. Speaking of getting wet while hunting, I was set up at the back edge of a beaver lodge (using it for cover) in waist deep water when a pair of wood ducks came overhead. As I pulled the gun up and fired, I lost my footing and fell backwards on my butt with water pouring into my waders. It was a rather humbling walk back to the truck....

This round of bourbon and water is on me fellas.

Carl

Is your friend named Richard (goes by Dick)?

No....his name was Frank and this was way back in the early 70s. We use to hunt rabbits, quail, and squirrels where the University is now. I'm an alumnus as well.....class of 72.

Stop by some time and say hello....I'll buy us a drink and we can fire up the tubes. I live on Leeward Lane (off of Greenville Loop Road) (395-0825).

New years day- around 1980-temp +5 degrees- Mountain island lake near charlotte. Hung over like you would not believe- 20 mph wind. bluebird day- not a duck in sight- couple of sips on peach brandy moonshine- I crawled outside of the blind and passed out. About 11:00 my buddy is kicking my foot- handing my Browning 12 Ga a-5 through a opening ion the blind- saying DONT MOVE- 2 DRAKE CANVASBCKS ARE SWIMMING INTO THE DECOYS- I started to bellylaugh and cal BS. I looked at Gary and he gritted his teeth at me and growled - DONT MOVE!!!!!!- He was not kidding. I took my A 5 and slowly turned to see a duck hunters wildest fantasy come true before my eyes. When the 2 drakes came within 30 yards gary stood up and yelled TAKE EM!!!!!. I supn apound and shot the left bird as he flew off and Gary dropped the right bird with one shot. My lab sprung up from his sleep and started after the ducks- of course one ws wounded and diving. I was giving my dog comands and hand signals when I stepped off the end of the point itto the main channel- 15 feet deep. I clawed and dug my way to the surface using my A-5 as a digging tool. My buddy dragged me out of the water. The power house was running the wheels that day so we had to drag the 16 foot Alumacraft from behind the island to the water-like 50 yards. I had borderline internal hypothermia. I laid in bed under a pile of covers for a week shivering- but we got both Canvasbacks- I am looking at one as we speak. AN expierence that I will never forget.

Pour me another Vodka- Pour one for your self too.

Woodford Reserve

Kinda high on the hog huh AceYes

I would say spring cleaning but it is summer...just shuffling through my liquor cabinet and found some hanging out in the back. As for a review, I can say it is probably my favorite brown...you may have to take that with a grain of salt, since I am really a gin man, but I do enjoy it. Honestly, I can compare it to candy...it is smooth, no burn, and very flavorful. It is not ungodly expensive on sale here atleast, so I would say get yourself a bottle and give it a try...I love it. Even if you do not like it as much as me, it is a great one to have on hand and give out to friends to try...that is how I came to like it. But in all honesty, you probably won't be dissapointed.

Dang Winchester!

Canvasbacks around Charlotte?! Who would of thunk it...that's awesome. Although, there were some particularly cold winters for several years around that time so I bet birds were looking for any water they could find that wasn't locked up.

Tarheel - No guarantees, but I'll try to take you up on the generous offers you have extended to get together. It would be nice to meet you. Small kids and work seem to take my free time but I'll try to give you a call soon.

Carl

Get your but up to Charlotte for a drink and a listen and I will show you the canvasback. I have seen exactly 3 in 30years of duck hunting- the 2 dead ones and the one I missed in Louisana 4 years ago.

The story is too crazy to make up. In 30 years of hunting- that was one of the top 3 moments. Yes the potholes were frozen over. lake Norman had ice in places. Mountain island had a strong current for the powerhouse and did not freeze. I came dam close to cashing it in that day. The browning was coated inside and out with Armaloy which saved it from total ruin. leaving work now- somebody please buy me a drink- back at ya in 30 mins.

Its Thursday somewhere so what's the problem????? Besides Wed is happy hour- humpday- party time!!

Sipping on a jack and coke- drank a carolina blonde earlier and...Yuck.... barf... what possessed me to do that??? Dismal- dreadful and awful.

To each his/or her own.. but none for me thanks

We do shoot live pigeons but it is generally for money.

+ one on the Belvedere- You are the man.Careful.. diffficult to downgrade when it is gone.Makes the worlds best martini IMHO- straight up - shaken-with a twist of lemmon rind.

However, I drink it like I do the bourbon, either over ice or with a little water

+1 Chili bone. Had a history prof in the 60s who was an authority on whiskey....he could tie whiskey into any part of American history....did his dissertation on it. He told us young whipper snappers that if we are going to mix then go with the cheapest, highest proof. If we drink whiskey on the rocks or straight up to go for the best quality you can afford. Good advice IMHO.

And you guys said I didn't learn anything in school[^o)]

Problem with cheap burbon as mixer is - even small amounts will kick your @ss the next day. Mid grade- like black jack works vwery well in mixers. If I am in a sipping on the rocks mood I will go for basil Hayden or jump ship to scotch.

Dont ever mix 151 rum with any kind of medication- I made that mistake many years ago after a wreck with pain killers- not too bright-bad results.

Dont ever mix 151 rum with any kind of medication- I made that mistake many years ago after a wreck with pain killers- not too bright-bad results.

One of those meds that have "do not drink alcohol while taking this medication" printed on the label? I have one or more of those so avoid alcohol entirely. Don't like beer anyway and the other stuff can get pretty expensive.

ahh yes, the topper of 151 is sweet indeed. The difference between a pina coloda and a turbo coloda haha. I'll be at the bar later...I used my lunch break to frame up a wall and insulate it in my basment (the one I had to tear out for foundation repairs...you have to love ripping out walls you just put up, that may have been the saddest think I have ever done). I am hot and sore and will probably stop at my favorite chair at local resturant for a quick shiner, then go home and either start drinking or hang drywall...either way all good!

post-36287-138194987564_thumb.jpg

Excellent review on the cambridge winchester...fortunatly I am happy with my CD/DAC combo and I am refusing to audition new gear at this point because I may like something and then feel the need to buy something I shouldn't haha.

Tarheel, that is indeed my music and general purpose room in the works...there is a bar on the other side with a 4 barrel kegerator in the works too! (It is actually in my garage at this point...I am debating moving it down there, or running a glycol pump through the ceiling and just having the taps down there...this consumes most of my brain power debating the pros and cons of both ideas) I have a nice stone fireplace to the left that will be a nice sitting area for sipping burbon on them snowy winter nights with some blues on the cornwalls. Here is another nice pic that proves you should never let a computer geek/stereo nut loose on an unfinshed basement haha

post-36287-13819498807994_thumb.jpg