AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

I asked this question before on another string - Does anyone have any experience with the inexpensive Sherwood Home Theater receivers? I have seen them at circuit city for as low as $129. 100 watts X 5, dolby digital and DTS decoders built in. I am looking for a second system ( for bedroom) and am considering this receiver. Any comments?

Thanks

Keith

re: Sherwood--Junk--You are better off with a cheap Sony. Oh, and one more thing--I wouldn't buy any receiver without hearing it first, with or without someone else's glowing reviews. I hate everything Outlaw represents. Sell your stuff in a real store if it is really any good, and don't give me this crap about "We save you money buy selling direct" I guarantee they make more profit per receiver than any of the "Real" manufacturers.

Regardless of Outlaw's chosen mode of distribution and ignoring the profit margin they do produce a quality product at a very competetive "Who makes more?" or How is it distibuted?". Yes they cut out the "middle man". Some hate everything they stand for because it represents a personal threat (they are the middle man). All that aside, Outlaw is a SERIOUS contender. End of story!!!!

Damn those Outlaw people - offering a very high quality product at a low price - real substance rather than glitz and inflated claims - AND that annoying courtious and knowledgable customer service - they have some nerve! - Downright un-American! How could they stand for this sort of stuff? They should be ashamed of themselves!

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

Geez, pardon me for expressing my opinion. In all fairness, Stu, you are right about how I make my living. I don't really consider them a threat though, they can't really compete with the big boys. I know that everybody loves their Outlaw Receiver, I just wonder what they had before that makes this receiver seem so great. Jim, I like your list of equipment with "Any Questions" afterwards. I'm not sure what you were trying to prove. Isn't Optimus the Radio Shack brand? And Apex is the $99 DVD player right? Anyway, the Outlaw may well be the best receiver in the world. I'll probably never find out though. You have to admit, it's damn ugly though!!!

Jim,

Go to www.hometheaterforum.com and check out all the favorable comments regarding the Panasonic RP91 DVD player. I got mine from www.ecost for $480 shipped. This is a progressive scan player (for HDTV) as well as DVD-Audio. Since I don't own a CD player at the moment, it handles that duty as well. Just another thought...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 12-27-2001 at 02:45 PM

I'd give Yamaha a look... for excellent performance, lots of hook-up options, and (in my humble opinion) the best collection of surround/digital effects for the money. You should be able to get the 596 for less than $400 and the 800 for just over $500. Don't let the salesperson steer you into another product until you give Yamaha a thorough test and decide for yourself. Make sure you're dealing with a store that has the high-end Yamaha products, not the line they carry at Best Buy (different model numbers and worse performance).

Mike, nice DVD player! I have decided on that one myself. Hope to have mine within a couple of weeks, along with the TU-HDS20 High-Def box. You got a really good deal on the RP91!!!

Bulldawg, Listen to Big K--Yamaha is a good way to go. If you can get ahold of an 800, they are hard to find anymore, you can get it cheap, and it is a nice recevier. Little tougher to set-up but high quality for the $$.