LEVON HELM

Had the GREAT Pleasure of attending Levon Helm's Midnight Ramble at the Egg in Albany N.Y. last night...I really don't know where to start other than saying, It is so refreshing to see a Band like that without the Rock Star Attitude....just get on stage, play your music without the [bs]. What a joy to see Levon drumming, singing, leading his band, and all the while smiling. The music ran the gammit of Rock, Blues, BlueGrass, and a few BAND classics. My hands are sore from clapping, my face is sore from smiling, my voice is strained from singing, damn I loved it. Trust me here people, not much really excites me anymore, but this was one of those evenings worth waiting for. It was all there, twin guitars, Horn section, Levon's daughter, and other female singers, and little Sammy Davis, the man on harmonica, stand up acoustic Bass. Great musicans all, but my hat's off to Mr. Larry Campbell, what a talented man on guitar, and violin, the Glue that holds it all together, a Fender player to boot. The final two songs, in a 2 1/2 hour non stop set, The Weight, and Take Me to the River were worth the price of admission.....What really struck me the most, was the feeling that nothing was planned, no real song list, just Levon and his cohorts, on stage, playing some songs for us. On the other side of it, the 950 seat theatre was only 3/4 Full, such a shame, but Hey, I was there and in the end, that's all that matters. This music isn't for everybody, I understand that, but if you really like music, you must see this Band. I will probably get some flack for this next statement, but I don't care, Levon and Company present an evening of Good Ol' American Music, it's the best way for me to describe it, American Music at it's finest. I'd say God Bless You Levon Helm, but I see he already has!!!

Now if I can get to see Delbert McClinton, and Jerry Lee Lewis Live, I will go to my grave a Happy Oldbuckster...Thank you Levon !!!!!!

I know, I know, he is not much of an actor, but I still smile whenever I see him in a movie. Just watched the DVD "Shooter" in which he had a small part as an accomplished Gunsmith. Liked him as the preacher in "Fire Down Below" as well. He has a very pleasant way about him.

Actor, NO.....but Drummer, Yes Sir,.....It was so refreshing to see a concert like that, No set list, No rock star crap, even his dog was on stage,just a good ol' boy, surrounded by family, and friends..........and I will always remember that night with a great Respect for Levon Helm, I loved it.....

Sweet OB, sounds like he put that show on just for the O-Buck[;)]

And that's the way that show went down..............they were playing for Me, I bet everyone felt that way! He played music I don't normally like, but to see Levon onstage and enjoying himself, pickin', grinn',singin', and playin' his drums........Was enough for me. I can't imagine going to his studio in Woodstock to see a show, but I won't rule that out..........Excellent Night.....A Good Man Levon Helm......

I know, I know, he is not much of an actor, but I still smile whenever I see him in a movie. Just watched the DVD "Shooter" in which he had a small part as an accomplished Gunsmith. Liked him as the preacher in "Fire Down Below" as well. He has a very pleasant way about him.

Don't forget his wonderful "gravelly", southern-tinged voice as the narrator in "The Right Stuff". [*]