matching amp to cornwall 1s

randyd3

good afternoon...would like to buy a new power amp that would match up with my cornwalls. I am currently using a Yamaha mx-600u power amp and I was wondering about the Yamaha M80 or M85 having class A. 20 years ago I had a different pair of cornwalls and a Nakamichi 620 power amp and I found that to be more pleasing. Any advice would be much appreciated...thanks in advance Randy

I will tell you what I am running with my Cornwalls.

McIntosh 2100 solid state vintage 1971, running at a conservative 105 watts RMS per channel.

This is an amazing match to the 105 watt rated Cornwalls.

It did not sound perfect with my Yamaha's (any of them) as pre amps.

Perfect arrived with the use of a same vintage McIntosh C-26 Preamp.

Both Mc units re caped by Terry De Wick in TN.

The music has never sounded better.

Welcome as Gbyte said. You will find there are, generally, two "schools of thought": the tube folks and the solid state folks.... As often as not it's WW-III between them, but both "sides" have very valid points as to what's "best". I won't get into that "discussion", but, suffice to say, there are certain good things to look for, regardless of the "mode of delivery"....

"Headroom" or the ability to handle transient peaks... and low distortion, Cornwalls, like K'horns are brutally accurate - crappy amp (and source material) and you'll hear it... While you really only need 20, maybe 40-50 watts RMS, the amp should be able to easily "peak" at 100+ without clipping. That why so many folks have old vintage tubes or solid state with nice hefty output transformers....

Best way is to really make the choice is to "borrow" different amps and test them; always with the same source music that you are familiar with. Whenever I test an amp or a pair of Klipsch that I've rebuilt, I always use the same couple of CD's so that I know what I should be hearing.

good afternoon...would like to buy a new power amp that would match up with my cornwalls. I am currently using a Yamaha mx-600u power amp and I was wondering about the Yamaha M80 or M85 having class A. 20 years ago I had a different pair of cornwalls and a Nakamichi 620 power amp and I found that to be more pleasing. Any advice would be much appreciated...thanks in advance Randy

Go to audiogon.com. Go to integrated amps tube. Look for these items:

Fisher KX-200 nos valves upgrade Item # 1188516415

Scott Classic L-K 48/299b Item # 1188392026

HH Scott Classic 222b Item # 1188391303

Eico HF-81 Item# 1188347963

Buy one of these vintage amps. Trust me you wont be sorry.

Yes, I think it's called a Niles (at least for one brand)

I've got one and it's two inputs to a single output so you could put two amps on one pair of speakers.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/products_niles.php

Well drats... I was looking and can't find the one I have... I wonder if they make it anymore? Perhaps someone else will chime in.

I agree with the 2 schools here. For 20 years ran mine with a Yamaha P-2200 pro and a tube pre,did sound very nice. Have since moved to VRD ST with the same pre. The tubes" to me" are smoother, cleaner and crisper. You might want to think about replacing the Corns caps (if no mods have been done already) a cheap date. Regaurdless no matter what you choose, it will sound great they are Cornwalls.

Enjoy!

Randy,

The obvious question (before folks start chanting: "tubes, tubes, tubes ...") is what do you like & not like about the Yamaha, and what did you like and not like about the Nakamichi?

Also were there any special problems when playing the CWs at low levels or at particularly high levels?

There are many, many alternatives.

Good Luck,

-Tom

thanks Tom.I find that the mid horns are very harsh with the Yamaha...I use an eq and lower the mid levels alot....don't know if my ears are just getting old or if I could improve on my amp....thanks

Randy,

We are getting closer. BTW was the harshness occurring at all volumes?

There are two schools of thought on this topic. I am in the school that thinks that changing amps is a rotten way to implement a tone control. I am also assuming that your current setup and harshness is not simpling reflecting that the system is clipping or there is an over-driven amp or speaker.

With those caveats, let me suggest the following.

1) Have the caps in the crossover ever been replaced? (probably not the cause of harshness...but simple enough to refresh). Personally, I found the original CWs to be a bit "nasal" sounding (this was minor complaint, since overall, I have a favorable impression of them). An alternative crossover design could be a solution, but that is premature at this point.

2) Is there an autoformer on the crossover and is at the the correct tap setting (this regulates the gain to the mid-range and could explain the symptoms)? Someone may have "improved" this setting at one time.

3) Is the amp or speaker being driven into clipping?

Good Luck,

-Tom