Updating La Scala Crossovers

You may have seen my recent thread that I am the proud new owner of some 1977 La Scalas. I am already enjoying them immensely but it has been strongly recommended to me that replacing my crossovers with new ones will dramatically improve the speakers. Currently I have what I believe are the original networks, AAs. They also have a strange little box attached to each one that has a little knob for the tweeters and midranges. I'm not sure why.

I called Klipsch to find out the price of buying their latest crossover networks for La Scalas and was told that with '77 Scalas, I would have to buy the entire upgrade kit (crossovers, tweeter and woofer drivers) because their latest networks wouldn't be compatible with my tweeters and woofers. He also said the midrange drivers may or may not be compatible. I didn't know what I had at the time of the conversation but I have K-55-Vs.

Anyway, this upgrade kit from Klipsch is $1,000. I have since heard that through resourceful members of the forum I can purchase other networks for significantly less that would work with the drivers that I have. So here are my questions: Can anyone recommend the Klipsch upgrade kit? Or tell me more about the advantages/disadvantages of swapping out so many components? I can tell from so many signatures here that Bob Crites' kits come well recommended. I'd be happy to hear about that too. I'm all ears, thanks in advance for entertaining an issue that must come up a lot on this forum.

Seth Hitsky

Seth,

Congratulations on your on your new speakers. I am going to suggest a two-part experiment that will only cost $20.

Part One: Phone Parts Express and get replacement capacitors for the stock crossovers. For about 20 bucks you can get Solen (metalicized poly prop) caps. Personally, I would not bother with "fancy caps" at this point in time. With a bit of soldering skill you can replace them yourself. This is actually the expensive part of the experiment.

Part Two: Do nothing. Simply listen, listen, listen. If you must do something, try re-arranging where the speakers and listening chair are located. Then continue with the listening. This is the time-intensive part of the experiment.

I did this with K-horns (and 25 year old caps). Replacing the caps themselves, gave a modest (but noticeable) improvement. For $20 it was a great value.

Moving around the K-Horns (and chair) gave a substantial improvement. For the cost, the value was phenomenal.

Good Luck,

-Tom

"this upgrade kit from Klipsch is $1,000."

Thats actually a good price for AL-4's, K-77-F's, K-55-X's....and woofers?

You can sell your old stuff on ebay to re-cope part of the cost.

But certainly, a few caps from partsexpress for a few bucks might be all you need.

Sky,

I am a big fan of Al Klappenberger. In addition to providing a first class replacement for LaScala crossovers, he also discovered white bread, knew about the internet long before Al Gore, and may have walked on the moon months before Neil Armstrong.

Spend your money wisely. However, you should get in touch with Al at http://www.alkeng.com/ and find out what he has to offer. Even his lowest price crossover will sound better than you can imagine!

Here is a photo of one of his crossovers installed in my right speaker. Replacing those old damaged AA's was one of the smartest things I ever did........

Dave in Nashville

post-20158-13819338900394_thumb.jpg

You've gotten good advice for your LaScalas. You will be amazed, at how improved they will sound simply to return them to factory spec by replacing the caps.

Well, I should say, that is as close to factory spec as they can be.

Bob Crites (BEC) on this forum can sell you a kit with all the parts you need. The price is quite reasonable if yuou want a DIY? project. He can do a turn key job if preferred, also reasonably priced, IMO.

One thing that's interesting about a diy project, is that you can do one crossover and compare the sound with the worn out crossover, before completing the project.

Seth,

Congratulations on your on your new speakers. I am going to suggest a two-part experiment that will only cost $20.

Part One: Phone Parts Express and get replacement capacitors for the stock crossovers. For about 20 bucks you can get Solen (metalicized poly prop) caps. Personally, I would not bother with "fancy caps" at this point in time. With a bit of soldering skill you can replace them yourself. This is actually the expensive part of the experiment.

Part Two: Do nothing. Simply listen, listen, listen. If you must do something, try re-arranging where the speakers and listening chair are located. Then continue with the listening. This is the time-intensive part of the experiment.

I did this with K-horns (and 25 year old caps). Replacing the caps themselves, gave a modest (but noticeable) improvement. For $20 it was a great value.

Moving around the K-Horns (and chair) gave a substantial improvement. For the cost, the value was phenomenal.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Replace the caps immediately. It is the single easiest return on investment you will get. I had mine for almost 30 years and never noticed the detorioration because it was so gradual, but it was night and day difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for advice here. I did contact Bob Crites and purchased his AA cap kits. I even gave myself a little time after updating one speaker to do some proper A/B-ing. Used a mono recording, (Johnny Hartman's "Just Dropped By To Say Hello") and listened back and forth. There is definitely a significant improvement in the clarity of the midrange. This was noticed separately by me and two friends.

Also, there had been a lack of overall output when comparing the right channel to the left, and I assumed this was my clunky olde sony integrated amp. But, sure enough, replacing the caps has gloriously restored balance between the two channels.

So thanks Bob, for guiding me through it, and to everyone who responded with advice in this thread.

So far I've enjoyed Burning Spear's "Marcus Garvey" and am currently listening to Miles Davis' beautiful "Someday My Prince Will Come".

Happy Listening!

Seth