Anyone here into old pickup trucks?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allan,

Your wife's truck is a beauty! My wacky neighbor had one about the same year and the same color, but your's is much nicer.

We are weeks away from the Woodard Ave. Dream Cruise (
). Words can't describe the event. But it's an event that any enthusiast of classic automobiles and trucks would enjoy.

I look forward to the photos of the completed project.

Allan, I am not into old or new pickup trucks but your wife has excellent taste. Studebaker's of any model are cool. Hers is a beauty. As you may know from past threads I am into older vehicles, my newest model car is a 91, which is old to most, the oldest car we have is the 70 beetle.

• 1 month later...

Two new pics. ALMOST done! Waiting on the hood ornament from George Iverson in Minnesota (the GURU of pot metal resoration--he's had the ornament since April and he says I'll have it back here the week of Labor Day). Got to install the dual master cylinder and mini booster yet. But other than that she's pretty much done. We're going to put her on the chassis dyno tomorrow--I'm betting about 190 HP at the rear wheels.

E7front.jpg

E7rear.jpg

Looking pretty damm clean Allan. Obviously a labor of love, ...... how long has it taken? Was the restoration from the chassis up? And lastly, why the Dyno run? And how many break-in miles you gonna put on the engine and drive train before sitting her on the dyno?

Frame up. Started on it mid-April.

Got about 200 miles on the motor. Just doing this chassis dyno for fun. It's a 289 with some VERY mildly reworked "high compression" (8.5:1 LOL!) heads. The Stude V8 is a pretty amazing engine--came from the factory with a forged crank and rods, gear driven cam, solid lifters, etc. Never ever once seen the bottom end let go on a Studebaker V8 and that included MANY Paxton blown motors. The weakness is the heads--small valves, siamesed center exhaust ports--but they flow OK with VERY mild porting. Certainly good enough for THIS old pickup! The stock 224 V8 was rated at 145 HP--this one probably puts out about 225 at the crank and I'm hoping for 190 at the rear wheels.

My blown '64 Lark type was bored .093 over, had SERIOUSLY reworked heads (I still have them--over 100 hours in them back in the 80s), full floating pins, forged Venolia pistons. It put out about 330 at the rear wheels.

Looks real nice !!!!..............Studebaker made quite a few Performance type cars, most people don't realize that....Aways loved the Avante, just something about them, and was it the Lark Daytona model V-8, 4 speed, posi's, anyway, the truck looks great, and should be worth the wait.

• 2 weeks later...

My wifes' '55 Studebaker half-ton V8 pickup is pretty much done!

Still waiting on the hood ornament from George Iverson, but it's been shipped--all we have to do is paint the "8" red on it, bolt it on and we're good to go. After 4 1/2 months off the road, this truck will be back in daily service as of Monday!!! It's almost TOO nice to be a daily driver!

The interior was done to my wife's specs. Leather with a Pendelton Indian Blanket insert on the back and the famous "Studebaker Thunderbird" painted on the glovebox door. Plus, she wanted RED sun visors, so there they are! I think the truck turned out fantastic-- my wife's from Tucson and this is the Studebaker truck she's always wanted-- it's her "Arizona Desert Truck."

Check out the last pic--it's the frame rail mounted dual master cylinder with booster! It fits! Barely! But it fits and works REALLY well!!

1955-04.jpg

1955-10.jpg

1955-32.jpg

1955-31.jpg

1955-29.jpg

1955-22-Bed.jpg

1955-19.jpg

Allan,

It is too nice to be a daily driver, but it's great that it will be driven.

That's an eclectic bunch of cars visibile in the background of the photos, but Studebakers seem to be disproportionately represented. You'd probably have to go to South Bend to see more Studes in one place.

Wrong 289, Duke. This is a STUDEBAKER 289, not that brand-X crap! Factory forged steel crank, gear driven cam, solid lifters, STOUT forged steel rods--they NEVER come apart, Well, not NEVER--saw one explode running 14 pounds of boost from dual Paxtons once.

Studebaker head (with a bit of work I must admit!), Intakes are 2.02, exhaust a puny 1.54. But these flow pretty well for heads designed in 1951 (this version is the "big valve" head brought out in 1957 for the Golden Hawk).

100_0876.jpg

100_0878.jpg

Studebaker introduced the all-steel pickup bed in 1937. Chevy followed about 25 years later.