Cornwall-1 changed to Titanium drivers

Catbo

Hi, I'm hoping I can get some help from others here. I just came across a good deal on Cornwall speakers I just bought. It has the K-55-V midrange
and K-77-M tweeter. I've just updated all the parts on the crossover type B and I'm thinking about changing the midrange and tweeter to a higher quality
titanium drivers I see listed at partsexpress.com and usspeakers.com and I'm wondering if anyone has done this as a drop in replacement that doesn't
require changing the crossovers.

If I get the titanium compression drivers for the midrange and tweeter and get the same near values as the Klipsch drivers, such as keeping the
sensitivity, ohms, and frequency range near the same, will this allow me to changes this parts without making any changes to the crossovers?
Will this work? Any suggestions to upgrading to a better woofer that will work with this too? I just don't know enough about how to do this and
curious if matching up values will allow me to change these parts without re-working the crossovers. Much thanks to any help any one can give me!

Have you listened to the speakers yet? Other than randomly changing parts, what kind of sonic improvements are you hoping to achieve?

The material of the diaphragm is probably one of the least informative attributes when it comes to predicting what a driver will sound like. The stock drivers Klipsch uses were engineered to work with the horns they were mounted on. And then the networks were tailored to work with the driver+horn combination. As such, I would not expect to find a better drop-in replacement.

That's not to say that improvements can't be achieved, but it's going to take more work than simply finding a "better" driver.

Personally, I would look into replacing both the squawker and tweeter with a single horn that covers the same bandwidth. Something like the Grand-HF-T or KPT-904-HF from the cinema line would yield huge improvements. The only downside is that you'd need a new crossover.

http://www.klipsch.com/media/products/literature/Cinema%20Brochure.pdf

(specs on page 11)

for the mid driver....there are few options on a Titanium driver that can operate at 600hz.  They are out there....but their size is significantly large than a k-55-v.

The speakers had high voltage damage from the owners son and haven't been fixed in 17 years just sitting at office storage room and said they were mine for only $100.00 for the pair. The crossovers didn't work but now have crossovers working, only 1 midrange not working in one speaker and the other the tweeter doesn't work.

I have other Klipsch phenolic and titanium speakers, the titanium just sounds clean, clear, smoother and little more detail to me vs the phenolic for both the midrange and tweeter so I was just hoping to come up with changing them to titanium drivers that could possibly be compatible with these Cornwall's since I have to fix them.

The Grand-HF-T and KPT-904-HF sounds very nice, would love to try that but I'm too limited in the know-how to know where to start with that.

speakerfritz, what are the other options I could try? If too large, I could always make it work from building a top section for it.

Thank you every one for the advice so far, much appreciated !!! :)

" what are the other options I could try?  If too large, I could always make it work from building a top section for it."

Not titanium but, These pop up for sale often.

post-22082-13819338910824_thumb.jpg

Hi, I'm hoping I can get some help from others here. I just came across a good deal on Cornwall speakers I just bought. It has the K-55-V midrange

and K-77-M tweeter. I've just updated all the parts on the crossover type B and I'm thinking about changing the midrange and tweeter to a higher quality

titanium drivers I see listed at partsexpress.com and usspeakers.com and I'm wondering if anyone has done this as a drop in replacement that doesn't

require changing the crossovers.

If I get the titanium compression drivers for the midrange and tweeter and get the same near values as the Klipsch drivers, such as keeping the

sensitivity, ohms, and frequency range near the same, will this allow me to changes this parts without making any changes to the crossovers?

Will this work? Any suggestions to upgrading to a better woofer that will work with this too? I just don't know enough about how to do this and

curious if matching up values will allow me to change these parts without re-working the crossovers. Much thanks to any help any one can give me!

Sent you a PM

Claude

My best advice already said here...

Colterphoto1's "I'd replace the diaphrams and call it a day."

Yep.. do that.

Look for replacement parts for your diaphrams BEC and others on here. Or look for parts on Ebay as well.

Start with what the speaker was designed with to judge it. Don't "Frankenstein it" without knowing the full potential in your house! I hate these people, "I just bought the so and so speaker.. What do I need to tweek and or change (even before they get them home!) right off?" Listen to em for a while if all the drivers work. You just might be pleasently surprised. That is not to say in all cases you may not want to upgrade them, but you may like em how they are!

Have you listened to the speakers yet? Other than randomly changing parts, what kind of sonic improvements are you hoping to achieve?

The material of the diaphragm is probably one of the least informative attributes when it comes to predicting what a driver will sound like. The stock drivers Klipsch uses were engineered to work with the horns they were mounted on. And then the networks were tailored to work with the driver+horn combination. As such, I would not expect to find a better drop-in replacement.

That's not to say that improvements can't be achieved, but it's going to take more work than simply finding a "better" driver.

Personally, I would look into replacing both the squawker and tweeter with a single horn that covers the same bandwidth. Something like the Grand-HF-T or KPT-904-HF from the cinema line would yield huge improvements. The only downside is that you'd need a new crossover.

http://www.klipsch.com/media/products/literature/Cinema%20Brochure.pdf

(specs on page 11)

Wait, I thought you were against two way speakers.