How much will a pair of Klipsch Chorus II benefit from new capacitors in the crossover?

paully

I plan on living with them for a while, as suggested, before I do

anything. But I have another major audio project in the works

right now and have to decide how much money to spend on it. If

doing the crossovers is something I should be thinking about doing a

month out then I will spend less. If it something that will make

a major difference. If you think I will be fine for 6 months to a

year than I can inject more into the current project and worry about

that later. Just trying to spread my audio cash around in the

most effecient way. I know it is something I will do eventually,

It is not a matter of whether as much as when.

Paully, I'm one of the most vocal advocates of crossover recapping and/or aftermarket crossovers in here, but even I think that you would probably be fine for about 6 months to a year. So, I would concentrate on your other project first. The Chorus IIs were manufactured from 1990-1996. On the lower (or older) end of that, the caps might need to be replaced simply due to age.

I've also heard some pretty nice quantifiable benefits from upgraded caps in crossovers. My recollection (and my memory could be faulty) was that Klipsch did not use a high quality cap in that speaker so you could probably improve those speakers by upgrading the quality of caps, and it would probably be worth it to you if these are going to anchor a two-channel system.

On the other hand, I would not do anything for awhile. Crossover refreshing/upgrading should probably not be a pressing issue. New and/or upgraded caps will bring you more detail, and it may seem like a veil or towel has been lifted from your speakers. On the other hand, worn caps may mean that your speakers may simply be a bit dull for awhil, which sometimes is not a bad thing......But, in any event, not a pressing issue.

Carl.

Paully, I'm one of the most vocal advocates of crossover recapping and/or aftermarket crossovers in here, but even I think that you would probably be fine for about 6 months to a year. So, I would concentrate on your other project first. The Chorus IIs were manufactured from 1990-1996. On the lower (or older) end of that, the caps might need to be replaced simply due to age.

I've also heard some pretty nice quantifiable benefits from upgraded caps in crossovers. My recollection (and my memory could be faulty) was that Klipsch did not use a high quality cap in that speaker so you could probably improve those speakers by upgrading the quality of caps, and it would probably be worth it to you if these are going to anchor a two-channel system.

On the other hand, I would not do anything for awhile. Crossover refreshing/upgrading should probably not be a pressing issue. New and/or upgraded caps may bring you more detail, and it may seem like a veil or towel has been lifted from your speakers. On the other hand, worn caps may mean that your speakers may simply be a bit dull for awhile, which sometimes is not a bad thing......But, in any event, not a pressing issue.

Carl.

listen, listen listen...THEN decide if you want to change things...I have been listening to my nearly same vintage Quartets for over a year now...I know they should get a freshening but I am still enjoying them so much that everytime anything else comes up, the new crossovers gets put to the end of the list...

Bill

On the other hand, I would not do anything for awhile. Crossover refreshing/upgrading should probably not be a pressing issue. New and/or upgraded caps may bring you more detail, and it may seem like a veil or towel has been lifted from your speakers. On the other hand, worn caps may mean that your speakers may simply be a bit dull for awhile, which sometimes is not a bad thing......But, in any event, not a pressing issue.

Carl.

It is a good idea to get a benchmark for at a min of 4-6 weeks before changing caps or anything for that matter. My habits would be boring for some but I changed networks in the Belles in December 2006 as my last change. I will get a new amp in the next month or so.

Only one change to my 2 channel system in 13 months. I have new driver tubes for my Scott 208 but it sounds so nice I have just left it alone.

My recommendation is listen to the Chorus IIs for a month or 2 and then contact Dean G for recapping.

My improved Chorus II networks sounded like mid bass definition improved and soundstage had more depth. A bit better on cymbal realism and less edgy, which is one of my best reference instruments.

I agree with waiting and at least see what you get when they arrive and how they perform. But in the meantime you could use the forum to produce the schematic and just look at the cap values to see what it would cost to recap.

Nice job finding some Chorus II. I think you like them.

How much would changing caps cost? $100? I would argue $100 of acoustic treatment would have a much larger impact if not the most bang for the buck. I would also argue that upgrades to upstream equipment (like moving to seperates or finding a better DAC) will yield bigger results too. Heck, moving to an active crossover and bi-/tri- amping will yield even better results - and then you don't even need to worry about all the losses introduced by passive crossovers.

I know many of these ideas enter in at a way different price point, but I mention them to see how insane you want to get with your setup. My philosophy is to always purchase towards the end goal. Intermediate steps only end up costing more money in the long run.

How much would changing caps cost? $100? I would argue $100 of acoustic treatment would have a much larger impact if not the most bang for the buck. I would also argue that upgrades to upstream equipment (like moving to seperates or finding a better DAC) will yield bigger results too. Heck, moving to an active crossover and bi-/tri- amping will yield even better results - and then you don't even need to worry about all the losses introduced by passive crossovers.

I know many of these ideas enter in at a way different price point, but I mention them to see how insane you want to get with your setup. My philosophy is to always purchase towards the end goal. Intermediate steps only end up costing more money in the long run.

Wow! Be careful there 'young grasshoppa', as you are overturning quite a few vested apple carts!.

I continue to be amazed at the amount of money - especially those paying near $1000 for passive crossovers when an $150 Rane and an additional amp or two would offer MUCH more substantial improvements for less money!

And of all the listed mods, I would rank the DACs lowest on the list.

But I would also be amazed if folks started first by identifying a real defined PROBLEM to be remedied before they run amuck implementing solutions and then setting off in search of a problem!

I don't know that simply being 'different' is really a solution!

[;)][:o][:P][:D]

There is a 6uF N.P. electrolytic as high pass for the mid and two 2uF (blue plastic of some kind) caps in the tweeter high pass. I'd replace the 6uF with at least a good metalized polypropylene cap. There are plenty of opinions about the two 2uF caps. I like Hovland "Musicaps," but did find I had to "Voltage condition" them by applying about 80V DC in each (of two) polarity to each unmounted cap before insertion. There are plenty of opinions about that also.

Good caps make a substantial and positive difference in the sound of the Chorus-II.

I also added some plastic acoustic damping material (Acousta-Stuff?) in the cabinet which I found improved bass definition (plenty of opinions about that).

And, finally, I set the cabinet on spikes, building up the base, front and rear inside the riser, and attaching spikes so the riser is just off the floor. That cleaned highs and lows (plenty of opinions about that).

The Chorus-II is a nice speaker and fun to customize if you're so inclined. Give them good amplification that has low distortion at low power. (not all amps do that).

Leo

Wow! Be careful there 'young grasshoppa', as you are overturning quite a few vested apple carts!.

I continue to be amazed at the amount of money - especially those paying near $1000 for passive crossovers when an $150 Rane and an additional amp or two would offer MUCH more substantial improvements for less money!

And of all the listed mods, I would rank the DACs lowest on the list.

But I would also be amazed if folks started first by identifying a real defined PROBLEM to be remedied before they run amuck implementing solutions and then setting off in search of a problem!

I don't know that simply being 'different' is really a solution!

[;)][:o][:P][:D]

Upgrading the caps is far cheaper than any biamp solution. and he already has separates, a nice low power 300B system. Ought to sound pretty nice with the Chorus II. Don't think he is in the group that will add lots of electronics in the signal chain.

Bruce

Do not ***** out your virgin Chorus II crossovers, IMO it will reduce their resale value. What you really need is the simple DENON DRA-37 AM/FM 2 channel receiver with loundness button and tone controls for a full rich 3D sound. FM radio will sound simply awsome.

I once called Klipsch asking about a good amp recommendation for my speakers and they recommended a new Denon .

Circuit City has a 30 day 100% money back return policy if you do not like.

Do not ***** out your virgin Chorus II crossovers, IMO it will reduce their resale value. What you really need is the simple DENON DRA-37 AM/FM 2 channel receiver with loundness button and tone controls for a full rich 3D sound. FM radio will sound simply awsome.

I once called Klipsch asking about a good amp recommendation for my speakers and they recommended a new Denon .

Circuit City has a 30 day 100% money back return policy if you do not like.

Ummm, yeah.........forget about anything else and just go buy a Denon. Wasn't aware that he was shopping for new stuff, but maybe the Denon is just the ticket.

"***** out" your virgin crossovers?? Looks like someone's been spending too much time on the net lately. [:$]

Reduce their resale value? I'm unaware of that rabid market out there for those vintage untouched Chorus speakers. This is not a Marantz 8B that we are talking about. Plus, what are Chorus going for anyway, $500-650 a pair?? More like increase their value with updated crossovers.

But, this is still a free country (I think), and you are entitled to your opinion.

Carl.

Thanks. I am going to listen to them for a few weeks, maybe months like

everyone says. I think I will build an external crossover eventually so

I can easily swap parts in and out. I don't know anything about

active crossovers so I might do some research on that. I did

already get the schematic from the forum, it will be about $130 to

recap. I will let you know what I do!