Know how to remove scratches?

If i were you i wouldnt worry about it, its not a very bad scratch, and its a speaker, who cares if it doesnt look perfect? you should expect this type of stuff to happen. but if you really want to fix it then id suggest finding a stain that matches or is very close. get a sponge, wring the stain out till its just barely damp, apply the stain then quickly wipe it off with a rag. that way the stain only gets in the scratch, and it should hide it very well.

i used the same technique on my front door and it worked great.

mattyM's idea is good, or , can't you buy a scratch filler pencil type thing, or , doesn't Liquid Gold have color coded Polish, or , some tinted glass pieces to cover tops ? I know what your saying, that scratch, any scratch, drives me crazy, I'd have to try and repair it, and the fact that it's a speaker makes it worse.................

WAIT WAIT WAIT,

Before you do anything, anyone giving advice would need to know whether the finish is either oil or lacquer and whether the scratch is deep enough that it has disturbed the stain or whether it is just on the surface (the finish). It is hard to tell but the scratch looks deeper than just the finish.

Good Luck,

-Tom

I do not know of any fixes, but I now where you are coming from in wanting to fix it. What is it with other people thinking our speakers are a stand to place their objects? One time I was getting new furniture delivered, and the delivery person insisted on putting his metal invoice book on one of my speakers. The first time he did it, I was out of the room, but my girlfriend immediatley went over and put it on the breakfast bar. She couldn't believe what she had just witnessed. He would then do it 2 more times. The last time he did it I was in the room, and said Excuse me, please do not put that there unless you are prepared to pay for the damage. My girlfriend later told me she knew the @8it was going to hit the fan if I saw him do that. She was surprised I was so civil.[;)]

You might not make it as far as making the relative pay for the replacement speaker, buy you should at least make sure they know the cost of the item and the damage their carelessness has caused you. The worst thing you can do is just let them off without making them understand what they did to you.

Anybody remember when guys would flip beer-bottle caps across the room? I had two housemates who would have wars flipping them at each other. My Yamaha CR-1020 receiver wound up with a gouge in its front panel and that was the end of flying beer caps.

That's lacquer on top of the Cherry veneer. I'll find out more but the idea of a light stain ( don't go too dark or it's all over) might work well. I don't think you would want to spritz a little lacquer on top for that small of scratch but getting the color back would minimize it's appearance.

fyi, I had 1/4" glass tops cut for the LS and CW in my main room- saved many a scratch or coffee cup mark!

Ok I checked around. It appears that the scratch is through the lacquer, through the stain, and possibly into the MDF. If it's into the veneer or MDF that's a tough one, and sanding would probably be necessary.

If it's just through the finish layers, wiping a little stain to color it back would help. Using one of the Old English colored products might work, but I"m not sure how that would act with the lacquer.

To smooth the thin lacquer coat, I'm told that fingernail polish remover is a good solvent. You can dab of it on the area and rub with the heel of your hand to liquefy and re-smooth the lacquer over the affected area. I'd be prone to trying a small spot on the cabinet bottom or back first as a test.

I'd be interested to hear the comments of our resident finish expert like Greg928S or MrPaint about this fix.

My advice:

Don't stain it, and don't use any "scratch removers", unless clear.

seal the scratch with clear lacquer. i sometimes pull the wick out of
an unused paint marking pen (fine), and use that tip to draw up and
then lay down lacquer etc.

2. fill the scratch with clear (neutral) paste wax, often used on wood floors.

3. buff the top with paste wax, or your regular polish, and enjoy.

$.02