Best Bass Lines in Rock?

troyphoto

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a perfect circle- the package (definetely a reference demonstration track)

kenny wayne sheppard band- blue on black

metallica- anesthesia, orion, the god that failed, my friend of misery

black sabbath- war pigs

boston- peace of mind, rock and roll band

lynyrd skynyrd- gimme three steps

RUSH. THE WHO. IRON MAIDEN.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes also has some pretty killer bass lines. Colter is the Yes expert,

but I especially enjoy "Starship Trooper" on whatever DVD that Colter

has. It literally blows your hair back (and is a really cool groove too

- so not like it's just noise).

Great suggestions so far.

And I think Colter has every YES CD ever pressed, [:D] so I'm not sure which one of the Starship Troopers performances you heard.

mr. colter is obviously a very wise man then. chris squire is excellent, and starship trooper is one of my favorite yes songs.

not as pronounced, but the bass line in styx's grand illusion is very good.

i have a rick wakeman video where it is just him on keyboards and a bass player--very nice as well.

Ozzy doing No More Tears -- killer intro

His Finest Album...........No More Tears, the OZ-man nailed that one......solid, complete album from start to finish.....

I'm sorry but that is pretty laughable. Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman are WAY superior. Zakk is a wanker guitarist who doesn't hold a candle to Randy Rhoads.

Ozzy doing No More Tears -- killer intro

His Finest Album...........No More Tears, the OZ-man nailed that one......solid, complete album from start to finish.....

I'm sorry but that is pretty laughable. Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman are WAY superior. Zakk is a wanker guitarist who doesn't hold a candle to Randy Rhoads.

Last time I looked Randy Rhoads has been in God's Band for quite awhile ....... It's all about opinion, anyway.........Zakk can hold his own, just right for Ozzie !!!!!!!!!!!!!

OB: What about some of the stuff Mountain did back in the day? IMHO, Papalardi (who unfortunately died in 1983) was super good. Can't find it at the moment, but I seem to recall there was some good stuff on Nantucket Sleigh Ride.

Although.... in that era of super solo stuff... Alvin Lee & Ten Years After had some super bass lines; One of the best was the bass solo on "Boogie On". Leo Lyons and Alvin grew up together and really had their act together. Shame they broke up in 74-75.

OB: What about some of the stuff Mountain did back in the day? IMHO, Papalardi (who unfortunately died in 1983) was super good. Can't find it at the moment, but I seem to recall there was some good stuff on Nantucket Sleigh Ride.

Although.... in that era of super solo stuff... Alvin Lee & Ten Years After had some super bass lines; One of the best was the bass solo on "Boogie On". Leo Lyons and Alvin grew up together and really had their act together. Shame they broke up in 74-75.

I have always mentioned Felix, who also produced some Cream, so many versions of Nantucket Sleighride, all abit different than the other, he certainly could make a bass blatt, and Leo Lyons on" Good Morning Little Schoolgirl", goodness .....nuff said.... it's all about the Rhythm Section, the "Heartbeat" of a band ....... Gotta' Love It .....

OB: Come to think of it; just about any AL & 10YA has great bass tracks. Lyons certainly held his own. Cricklewood Green is probably a really good example of solid bass "foundation".

YUP, and any of the live TYA stuff, is great Bass playing .......... or Mr. John Entwhistle of the WHO, Monster Bassist ..........

It's No Secret/The Other Side of this Life - Jefferson Airplane/Bless It's Pointed Little Head

Water Song - Hot Tuna/Burgers

It's Too Late - Jim Carroll Band/Catholic Boy

Lucretia My Reflection- Sisters of Mercy/Floodland (and for Marshall: Dominion, a most excellent song!!!!!!!!!!!) To be played LOUD.

School Days - Stanley Clarke/School Days

Birdland -Weather Report

Fresh Garbage / Nothing To Hide/ Mr. Skin/ When I Touch You - Spirit (while Jack C. has the growl, nobody has the bottom like Mark Andes!)

Birdland - Weather Report

We've Got To Get Out of This Place - Animals

Walk On the Wild Side - Lou Reed/Transformer

Whipping Post - Allman Bros

Happy Ways - Joe Walsh/Smoker You Drink...

Anything by Peter Gabriel...especially in the remixes...

for a start...

...and as far as the Queen songs, a very talented band, but listening to those 2 songs is like selecting the insipid Bungle in the the Jungle as the premier track from the entire Jethro Tull catalog! Please spare me!