Questions on Heritage HT Setup

shinerman

Completion of my music/ht room is almost done. Flat panel tv to be installed tomarrow. My question is, Which would be the best way to setup my Heritage speakers for ht. I will have Khorns for 2 channel listening only. I was planning on using my belles as mains for ht, a forte for center and 2 sets of cornwall ll's for surrounds or should I use 3 of the cornwalls up front (mainL, center, mainR) and use the belles/fortes for surrounds? If I use the latter setup, what could I use the extra cornwall for? Any and all comments would be appreciated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would use the Khorns as the front mains, a Belle as the center, and the Cornwalls as surrounds. Is there some reason you don't want to use the Khorns in the HT system?

Otherwise I would look at getting another Cornwall and doing 5 Cornwalls (of course I am bias in this reguard). Then perhaps 3 Cornwalls up front and Belles as surrounds.

Or the Belles and Forte upfront, 1 pair of Cornwalls as side surrounds in a 5.1 setup or as side and rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup.

For HT the most important selection is the 3 main front speakers. The best case is that they are all identical. Second best is that they are all timbre matched. Don't forget to use a SPL meter and balance your system once it is all setup. This seems like a small step but it can make a huge difference in the sound of your system.

Laters,

Jeff

Along the lines of KEEPING the Khorns in 2 channel AS WELL as mixing them into the HT setup (I am presuming they're all in the same room) you could look at a Peach preamp for 2 channel listening. It has a HT bypass that allows the two speakers attached to it (the Peach) to do double duty as 2 channel mains as well as become 2 channels for your HT system. All at the flick of a switch. I think it's a pretty cool feature.

If the Khorns are in another room, then the above won't work as well.

If keeping the Klipschorn's in the two channel setup my recommendation would be:

Belle Cornwall Belle

Forte Forte

Cornwall Cornwall

If using the Klipschorn's:

Klipschorn Belle Klipschorn

Cornwall Cornwall

Cornwall Cornwall

I have been through a number of combinations myself before sticking with my current arrangement.

Not a bad dilemma to have. Im probably biased, but Id go with the three Cornwalls up front and experiment with the cricket boxes. To save space, I went with Klipsch KS-525s for surrounds and am very pleased. I tried Cornwalls on the sides and quite frankly the timber improvement, (if any) wasnt worth the lost space. The 525s disperse the sound much more effectively than either the Cornwalls or Heresys that I tried. If you want to use the K Horns for both, you can pick-up a Niles Switch Box for about $100. I have been pleased with the gadget.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for the suggestions, for now I've gone with the belles as mains, cornwall for center, cornwall for side surrounds and forte's for back surrounds.

[:D] yes sir, great direction......

Interesting dilemma here, good problem to have- too many Heritage- how many is TOO many? There are some good solutions offered, it's amazing how many different really great setups could be had with this complement of speakers.

Are the Khorns in a separate room then or do these systems coexist with the HT Belle Klipsch mains just inside them?

The only reservation I would have is that there is a lack of bipolar side surrounds or any height to the system. I have the same difficulty to some extent, alleviated a bit by use of a RS42 rear center between my CW's. Not a timbre match, but fills a hole and gives some 'lift' to the sound field.

Khorns in same room, with HT mains (belles) inside of khorns. Agreed, no height to the system on the side and back surrounds. I guess I could wall mount the Forte's which are the back surrounds. Any suggestions on how to do this would be helpful. Does anyone make a bracket that would hold the weight of the Forte's?

I believe forum member dtel has Forte's in the rear wall mounted. You can ask him how he did it.

Glad to see you used one of the arrangements I suggested. I have tried a great number of arrangements prior to arriving at my current setup.

Please god DO NOT use those awful xS-XX series sound sprayers in the rear - Yuk talk about ruining a good Heritage HT system with echoey non-directional speakers. They do have their place but never in my system.

Oh yeah, Ummmmmmmmmm Shiner Bock! [:P]

If keeping the Klipschorn's in the two channel setup my recommendation would be:

Belle Cornwall Belle

Forte Forte

Cornwall Cornwall

If using the Klipschorn's:

Klipschorn Belle Klipschorn

Cornwall Cornwall

Cornwall Cornwall

I have been through a number of combinations myself before sticking with my current arrangement.

Shinerrman, it seems as though you have made your decision to use the Belles as HT mains and keep the Klipschorns outside for 2-channel duty.

That's good, but I would still give some thought to option #2 above. I did not think that incorporating my Klipschorns in the HT (vs. my Belles) was as big of a deal - until I tried it. Now, I would not go back. Use the Klipschorns for both - and sell a single Belle. Someone surely could use a center.

Carl.

"Please god DO NOT use those awful xS-XX series sound sprayers in the rear - Yuk talk about ruining a good Heritage HT system with echoey non-directional speakers. They do have their place but never in my system. "

The Reference Surround speakers are intended for use primarily as side surrounds.

Agreed, but 1 question. Your plasma looks puny w/all those speakers, why not go projector and fill that whole space in? You won't be disappointed.

Or even ceiling/flush mount a screen that can come down in front of the flat screen for movies (or sports/HD) only?

Agreed, but 1 question. Your plasma looks puny w/all those speakers, why not go projector and fill that whole space in? You won't be disappointed.

1) Sorry late to the party here.

2) Nice looking room great job

3) JW31 I totally agree. You gotta get a projector and screen

4) Move one Belle to the center, ditch the CW and use the Khorns as mains for the HT.

Picture below will give you an idea of what Khorn mains with Belle center looks like with a screen/projector set up.

rpBack.jpg

• 2 weeks later...