Something wrong with TV

seti

Ok maybe not that mad but greatly annoyed. It is bad enough that we have pop up ads on the internet but now on TV. At least on the internet we can block most of these pop up ads but with the TV we are stuck with these supremely obnoxious pop up ads. They are starting to get louder more animated and bigger as time goes by. I want to throw things at my TV everytime I see one these ads. I was so annoyed the other day after a couple glassses of wine that I called Dish to complain that there was something interfering with my subscribed channels. This didn't really get the reaction I was going for and the lady was really confused. It took her a while to find out what I was talking about and said there was nothing that could be done. Am I over reacting........maybe.........no I don't think so after all I am paying for TV and it is bad enough I have to watch commercials but now I have to watch ads while I watch TV. In the immortal words of pwk BS.

Going to talk to my shrink in the morning perhaps he has some pills that can make the ads go away or perhaps they are a halucination and don't really exist. Yeah that must be the answer.

http://stoptvpopups.com/

Well as you know our home does not suscribe to any pay TV and we only get abot 7 stations all of which are local with no pop-ups but the do have those pesky commercials and een worse the dreaded info-mercials[:o]

Can't believe a guy's got MC-30's on Belle's and he watches TV[;)]

I gotta have my chewing gum for the eyes.

Seti,

Wow. That is irritating. I don't think I get popups on directv, however, I don't watch all that much.

Lately I've been sick of SBC/ATT Yahoo dsl because it now has up to half the page of the mail client covered up with ads, sometimes with flashing backgrounds. I was looking around for info and found out that by paying an additional price I can have an e-mail client with no ads. This is outrageous because I am already paying for the service.

I've just been reading more. Last night started re-reading The Source by James Michener. Last time I read it was in 1976.

Well as you know our home does not suscribe to any pay TV and we only get abot 7 stations all of which are local with no pop-ups but the do have those pesky commercials and een worse the dreaded info-mercials[:o]

Can't believe a guy's got MC-30's on Belle's and he watches TV[;)]

I refuse to be a slave to CATV. They won't get a dime from me. I'd rather watch the same movie I've seen dozens of times and those 100 channels of junk.

Turn off the tube and turn ON some tunes!

Something wrong with TV?

Yes, it is mind numbling schlock; and most of it is designed to control (limit) your thinking - why do you think they call it "Programming"?

Kill your TV and discover that you have lots of free time to read, study, walk, think, and be free.

The reality is that in the whole history of the world there are only about fourty different plots for a story. They have all been done to death over and over using different sets of characters...

Even the sets of charactors has its favorites... Ever notice how many shows use the trio of men?

Western version is Gunsmoke: Hero/leader is Dillon, side kick is "Doc" (medical and notice nickname), other side kick is Festus (notice physical anomoly of ears)

Science fiction version is Startrek: Hero/leader is Kirk, side kick is "Bones" (medical and notice nick name), other side kick is Spock (notice phyical anomoly of ears)

Cop show version is The X-Files: Mulder is the Hero/leader, side kick is Dana, medical and with nickname "Scully", other is Skinner (phyical anomoly is baldness).

Sitcom version is Seinfeld: Hero/leader is Jerry, side kick is George (not a doctor, but very hypochondriacle, nick name "Georgy boy"), other side kick is Cramer (physical anomoly is clumbsiness).

Get it? Can you think of some more?

Seti,

Wow. That is irritating. I don't think I get popups on directv, however, I don't watch all that much.

Lately I've been sick of SBC/ATT Yahoo dsl because it now has up to half the page of the mail client covered up with ads, sometimes with flashing backgrounds. I was looking around for info and found out that by paying an additional price I can have an e-mail client with no ads. This is outrageous because I am already paying for the service.  

I've just been reading more. Last night started re-reading The Source by James Michener. Last time I read it was in 1976

I  re-read Stranger In A Strange Land a little while ago. Heinlein is a hoot.

Programming it would be funny if it wasn't so true.

I like the Documentary Film Channel, DIY shows, dreadful sitcoms, and old movies. The ads are some sick marketing executives idea of evil genius. Perhaps I will buy $50 of DVDs once a month and ditch the dish.

I re-read Stranger In A Strange Land a little while ago. Heinlein is a hoot.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan

an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a

sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,

take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,

analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty

meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Lazarus Long, from Robert Heinlein's
Time Enough for Love

I'm glad I subscribe to TV Week. Every night, I check the evening's programs before turning on the idiot box. Many nights it doesn't get turned on and I hear some great music instead. Remember the "Crap on TV? Great!" thread?

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Time Enough for Love

Heinlein's immortal wisdom...

Have you read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars), or for the nearer future, anything by William Gibson? Gibson invented the cyberpunk genre, but oddly doesn't even own a computer.

As soon as Football and other sports becomes pay for view, don't laugh sports fans, it's coming, I'll ditch the TV. I do like PBS, and Discovery Channel, but I didn't have one for almost 10 years when I lived alone.............I was probably better off because of it......funny, you say Tube now, I think of my Scott............

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan

an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a

sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,

take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,

analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty

meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Time Enough for Love

I have the illustrated notebooks of lazarus long great quotes. Friday, Job, and The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress are my favorites.

A poet who reads his own verse in public may have other nasty habits.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Time Enough for Love

Heinlein's immortal wisdom...

Have you read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars), or for the nearer future, anything by William Gibson?  Gibson invented the cyberpunk genre, but oddly doesn't even own a computer.

I like William Gibson. The cyberpunk genre has evolved into something cold steampunk which is not just writting but also various art forms mostly extraordinary DIY.

Gave away my only TV to a fellow coworker who moved into her new apartment 4 years ago, and haven't watched any network television since. My brother has digital cable for the internet, and maybe one night a month we'll watch a program on the Discovery Channel (mainly his 109" screen and rear projector is used for a movie or concert DVD).

I don't miss watching the boob tube one iota! I'm not into watching sports, and I catch all my news online or on NPR. Reality programs are the biggest waste of time and money I've ever heard of (never watched a single episode from any of 'em, nor do I care to). I'm quite content in front of my audio system enjoying all my favorite music, or when on the computer I'm listening to music on the many internet radio stations on Live365 dot com!

If television was to suddenly disappear tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a tear over it. I don't need it...but that's just me.

Something wrong with TV?

Yes, it is mind numbling schlock; and most of it is designed to control (limit) your thinking - why do you think they call it "Programming"?

Kill your TV and discover that you have lots of free time to read, study, walk, think, and be free.

The reality is that in the whole history of the world there are only about fourty different plots for a story. They have all been done to death over and over using different sets of characters...

Even the sets of charactors has its favorites... Ever notice how many shows use the trio of men?

Western version is Gunsmoke: Hero/leader is Dillon, side kick is "Doc" (medical and notice nickname), other side kick is Festus (notice physical anomoly of ears)

Science fiction version is Startrek: Hero/leader is Kirk, side kick is "Bones" (medical and notice nick name), other side kick is Spock (notice phyical anomoly of ears)

Cop show version is The X-Files: Mulder is the Hero/leader, side kick is Dana, medical and with nickname "Scully", other is Skinner (phyical anomoly is baldness).

Sitcom version is Seinfeld: Hero/leader is Jerry, side kick is George (not a doctor, but very hypochondriacle, nick name "Georgy boy"), other side kick is Cramer (physical anomoly is clumbsiness).

Get it? Can you think of some more?

Doug, Deacon and Spencer

Skipper, Professor and Gilligan

Ray, Robert and Frank