When does a hobby overtake you...

Klipschfoot

It's none of my business what this "audiophile" is up to, much less how he is able to afford it. No criticism is meant at all. I found it when doing a Google Images search for turntable stands. Afterall, we get a lot of good common technology from lofty science endeavours like putting a man on the moon. Enjoy.

http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Playback/MyPlayback.aspx

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny, I agree with everything in the Intro and Objectives (and I also agree in hating the Boston Symphy Orch...). So based on his philosophy of music and sound I would expect him to have a simple system of modest price, not the absurd monstrosity he has constructed. I am quite sure I would prefer my own little system.

Funny, I agree with everything in the Intro and Objectives (and I also agree in hating the Boston Symphy Orch...). So based on his philosophy of music and sound I would expect him to have a simple system of modest price, not the absurd monstrosity he has constructed. I am quite sure I would prefer my own little system.

In what I constructed there is nothing absurdish and whatever I do is with my playback is extremely rational and in precisely follows to my listening objectives. Also, I might assure you would not prefer Sound form a little and simple system to the result of my playback. There is a LOT of done in here that you did not experience in audio. Yes, it is very far from the Klipschs level of audio inelegance...

Rgs, Romy the Cat

In what I constructed there is nothing absurdish and whatever I do is with my playback is extremely rational and in precisely follows to my listening objectives. Also, I might assure you would not prefer Sound form a little and simple system to the result of my playback. There is a LOT of done in here that you did not experience in audio. Yes, it is very far from the Klipschs level of audio inelegance...

Rgs, Romy the Cat

Romy the Cat,

welcome to the forum. I for one am very impressed with the system you have put together. Never in my wildest dreams would I be able to put together something even remotely close to what you have. I am not very knowledgeable in the field of audio like many others on this forum. I just know what I like when I hear it. There is so much out there in the audio world that I will never be able to experience and It makes me happy to see that someone is able to take things as far as their pocketbook and imagination will allow. I am sure what you have put together sounds magnificent.

Again, very impressive!

Tom

Again, very impressive!

Tom, it has nothing to do with impressiveness or the needs to be impressed. Uselessly audio people just look at the manufacturers labels and brands and are blind to recognize the objectives and methodsThey are juts not accumulate all this audio just accumulate in their rooms without any rational or exercising very primitive judgment that the Industry have made them to embrace. I would say a lot about the simplicity, bordering with stupidity of perception, when audio people learn about others playbacks (the Morons most watch pictures), but I see no need to do it at this forum.

The caT

Again, very impressive!

Tom, it has nothing to do with impressiveness or the needs to be impressed. Uselessly audio people just look at the manufacturers labels and brands and are blind to recognize the objectives and methodsThey are juts not accumulate all this audio just accumulate in their rooms without any rational or exercising very primitive judgment that the Industry have made them to embrace. I would say a lot about the simplicity, bordering with stupidity of perception, when audio people learn about others playbacks (the Morons most watch pictures), but I see no need to do it at this forum.

The caT

I am not just impressed with the amount of electronics or the $ amount that you must have spent on your quest for the finest experience in audio pleasure that you desire,but, I am most impressed with your dedication to this quest. And I believe that your objectives and methods in obtaining the goal that you are after are valid and commendable. Like I stated I am not near as savvy about the audio world as I wished I was, I am just trying to learn as I enjoy the hobby. I like old vintage electronics, partly for the nostalgia and I do genuinely enjoy the sound of some of the older electronics. I am just starting to enjoy tube related products and find attributes of that type of audio enjoyable.

Tom

In what I constructed there is nothing

absurdish and whatever I do is with my playback is extremely rational

and in precisely follows to my listening objectives.

Was part of that objective time-smear, early specular reflections, and incoherant

wavefronts?

Rgs, Romy the Cat

Clearly your dissatisfaction with available commercial playback equipment sound has led you to create your system; and like most one-off unique custom systems it is quite a breathtaking sight. I understand that unlike a commercial product which is finished to have a particular appearance appealing to the masses, the results of a personal quest for excellence will have a somewhat unlimited appearance whose beauty is more revealed through the contemplation of it's rational design and fidelity to purpose than it's physical form.

I actually commend your honesty to yourself; it is quite refreshing when someone resists the charms of form and seeks the function for it's own sake.

Was part of that objective time-smear, early specular reflections, and incoherant wavefronts?

Hmmmm, there are many people on-line who just yell from the bushes some empty tradable phrases and who has absolutely zero understudying about nether what they said nor how it might relate to anything. I do not know you and if you comment is one of those many cases. If you have anything to put behind of your presumption of Macondos time-smear, early specular reflections and incoherant wavefronts then please do so. I will be happy to collaborate/address the subject.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Rgs, Romy the Cat

I do not have the time or desire to educate, but I am more than willing

to answer questions and share in the exploration through the realm of

modern acoustics.

Just some articles that touch on various aspects pertaining to time domain spectrometry:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/install/tech_corner/ty2/time.shtml

http://www.prosoundweb.com/install/sac/v28/2/interact.php

http://www.mcsquared.com/tefadr.htm

http://www.rpginc.com/news/library.htm

It's interesting that you talk about "X-Space" which I think can be considered a

non-technical description of the time-domain behavior of the system.

You should consider getting a TEF so that you can quantify the very things you describe.

Back to the initial question. At what point does pursuit of sonic perfection intersect with, and then overshadow, enjoyment of the music? At what point does experiencing sonic imperfection, either real or imagined, lead to obsessive - compulsive behavior (complete with the need to classify anyone who might not share your perspectives and goals as "zombie-idiots" or "audio-idiots")?

Also, if there is no "need to be impressive", why put it all out there on the web for the world to see?