Any Corvette folks on the Forum (waaaaaay off topic!)

RFP

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let's see. I had a 67 big block (L-88 aftermarket), 68 big block (L-88 aftermarket), 69 red, 69 blue,70 red, 79 red. The best balanced was the 79 with turbo 350 auto and small block and 4 Mohawk studded 4 row snow tires for winter driving. No one could beat me on snow or ice covered roads. If I floored the thing on a hard pack snow covered road at 50 mph the rear of the car would vier to the left then after letting off the gas it would correct itself and then I would go up to 68 mph just a crusing along with everybody giving me those abrupt hand signals. The snow tires had huge treads and groves which would allow them to easily steer & navigate 6 inch deep frozen tire tracks with a 8 inch snow cover. The only problem was the frame rusting out after 8 years and parts of the inner frame so I just replaced them with all new stuff. What is amazing is a broken frame at the rear wheels is hardly noticeable (just a bit squiggly under power) as the fibreglass body is literally holding the vehicle together. Well, I thought it was amazing. The only Vette that interests me is the Z06.

JJK

OB

Mines the smallest motor available in '67.. 327 300 hp, but I like driving it more than a big block. Much nicer in town and in the mountains and 435 horses ( which was really closer to 500 horses). I have a buddy of mine from MO who is a restorer and judges at Bloomington every year, and he said mine was one of the nicest '67's he has ever driven.

I'm off for a drive now...

KG

ZO6 Specs:

1.....505 hp

2....Dry Sump (20% more horsepowerr)

3....Titainium valves

4....Titainium rods

5....Steel crank (used when going over 7400 rpm)

6....Aluminum 427 big block with 6 bolt mains

7....Aluminum reverse flow heads (enables 17 x 1 compression ratios) high flowed CNC'd

8....Geared starter (big bucks)

9....Magnesium frame

10..Fibreglass front and rear springs

11..Six piston per wheel brakes

12..About a gillian computers

13..Aluminum drive train

14..Real big expensive tires and wheels non rotateable

15. Lots of gadgets

16..Automatic transmission for old people

17..Stainless exhaust system.

18..Full power accelleration anti skid system for maniacs.

19..Styling not bad but you could always throw a Viper body on it.

JJK

not for Z06...I went to Bowling Green and I was really drooling over the Z06...such a nice car...now a "regular" 'Vette (C6) can be had with the steering wheel shifters...this upcoming year the regular C6 has the LS3 with 430HP...get ready for the Blue Devil-Corvette SS or whatever they decide to call the next latest and greatest!...

Bill

Titanium rods and valves aren't necessarily a good thing for street use. They're very light and do save power, but titanium has low fatigue strength and will have a much shorter service life than similar steel parts. It's been used in high-performance motorcycles intended to be used primarily for racing, where it's acceptable to have to replace the rods and valves after every racing season. For a daily driver car that might run up a lot of miles, that would get really expensive.

"Automatic transmission for old people"? The latest automatics shift far faster than any human could, plus they allow the driver to keep both hands on the wheel at all times, a good thing with the speed and power now available. In modern supercars, a manual transmission's primary benefit is its pose value. "See, I'm hard-core, I drive a stick." Modern technology has left that idea behind.

oldbuckster, your 911 is really cool, but I'm sure that if you drove a 2008 911, with either full manual or "auto-clutch" (or whatever it's called), you'd be very impressed. Cars in general get better every year and I don't think the engineers at Porsche spend much time snoozing or dreaming up Bold New Grilles for next year's model.

Car/hi-fi connection: one of the owners of the local hi-end audio shop, Sound Hounds, drives a Lotus (or is that Caterham now?) Super 7. He also has a Smart car. Those Smarts are very popular in this small city with no real highways around.

Nothing like a small block Chevy................EH Silver ? A great piece of engineering, and a staple of general motors. If I ever got a 64 or 65 Goat and it needed an engine, a small block would be my only choice, well, maybe a stroked one to 383 cubic inches, fuel injected...

I wonder how much a gain they would get if they could use direct injection as opposed to fuel injection or even if that is possible with that engine.

Nothing like a small block Chevy................EH Silver ? A great piece of engineering, and a staple of general motors. If I ever got a 64 or 65 Goat and it needed an engine, a small block would be my only choice, well, maybe a stroked one to 383 cubic inches, fuel injected...

I wonder how much a gain they would get if they could use direct injection as opposed to fuel injection or even if that is possible with that engine.

Is this a Jacksonbart trick question? I would think direct compression would be for diesel engines, a diesel engine in a goat...snicker,snicker.Had I kept my Corvette, it would have had a 383 stroker by now.............Clapton for President !!!!!!.......forgot he can't run........

Actually Direct Injection is for gas engines, too. Most modern F.I. is port injection - the fuel is sprayed into the intake port at the back of the intake valve. Direct Injection sprays the fuel directly into the combustion chamber.

The Pontiac Solstice GXP 2.0L Turbo uses direct injection and gets 260 HP out of it's 2.0 L. It's the highest specific output engine GM's ever released. By comparison, the supercharged version of the engine that comes in the Cobalt SS has 205 HP.

I'll leave the 'putting a Chevy engine in a Pontiac' rant for later. [:#]