Heresy II question

JimBrick

Hi guys I'm new to this forum. I've always wanted to own a pair of Klipsch speakers but with no dealer around my city my pickings were small. I finally got my hands on a pair of Heresy II from a friend who gave them to me for doing some work for him. They sound awesome on my integrated amp I'm using. I just wanted to ask you guys what you have matched up power wise to these speakers to get the most out of them. Any help would be great.

Jim,

Congratulations on the Heresy speakers! They are fun ones to listen to. My friendly advice (and others may disagree with me) is not to worry about the amp at this point. My suggestion has 4 parts.

First, listen and enjoy.

Second, if you must do something, then replace the caps on the crossover (they do get old). Simply remove the old ones and order the same value caps from Parts Express (or whoever...). Some Solen metal polyprops are fine. This will cost less than 20 bucks. More money is probably not wise at this point.

Third, listen some more and if you still must do something then try experimenting with the location of Heresy cabinets and your listening chair (do not elevate them off the floor). Do try them near the wall or away from the wall, near a corner or away from a corner etc. Try changing the separation between the cabinets. Try adjusting the amount of "toe-in" on the cabinets.

Fourth, if you still must do something try another amp (borrow one from a friend or a consignment shop).

The important thing to remember is that these are small cabinets. They will be "bass-shy". That is a simple fact. The bass you do get will be fairly accurate and the experiments you performed during Part 3 will help. However, IMO, trying to magically fix the bass with various magical amps (or pre-amps) is not the most efficient strategy. You can certainly augment them with a sub. Spend your money & time on a sub, not on a "magical" amp.

Good Luck,

-Tom

thanks guys for the help, As for changing the caps is this a hard procedure or an easy diy job? Just to let you know I was looking at buying a jolida 1501 hybrid, even before I came across these speakers. I'm using a pioneer elite a-35r right now

If your speakers are less than 15 years old, the caps may be working just fine. If you do decide to replace them, it's not too difficult. You just unsolder the old ones and install and then solder-connect the new ones. Do one speaker at a time and you can refer to the second one if you need to.

Speaker positioning and adding a sub may be all you need to do.

I find the bass on my own pair of HIIs to be tight and accurate. No boom at all, not do I find them bass shy. At least most of the time. A different amp will make a difference, but listen to them on your amp for a long time before changing yours for another. You might like a different amp just because it is different, and tire of it after a while. In the end, what you like is what you want and should end up with.

Bruce

SO had a friend who knows a little bout speakers come over and listne and he says these are working fine so no cap changing for me cause I have 2 left hands LOL. I traded some equipment for a onic sp3 mkII so I cant wait to get this amp and try with my speakers

• Moderators

Jim,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your HIIs. I think these guys have given you some real good advice. The more you listen to Klipsch speakers the more you love them. Be sure to check in with us from time to time and let us know what you think!

Again, welcome.

Congrats on the H II's. I just built a set for my friend for his garage. Delivered them yesterday and he hooked them up in his listening room. We hooked one H up on the left and his Magnepan was on the right. Turned them on and you could hear the H clearly and we weren't sure the Maggie was on! He's rethinking the whole garage thing now! He has two in wall subs I built for him that match nicely. Maggies may end up in the garage!

Listen to them for a while. They grow on you!

Yes! Congratulations on the H-II's. very versatile. I use a pair of 88' OO's as test speakers for amps. Keep a roll-around for the amps and the H-II's have their speaker wire connected and neatly coiled out of the way. Very good for testing because any problems with an amp will show up very fast!!! Heritage speakers are brutally honest in what they do. Any problems between the source and the speakers will be very evident, very fast!! Best of luck and play around with them!!

SO had a friend who knows a little bout speakers come over and listne and he says these are working fine so no cap changing for me cause I have 2 left hands LOL. I traded some equipment for a onic sp3 mkII so I cant wait to get this amp and try with my speakers

We still don't know what year these are, but I'll bet a recap will change the sound (for better or worse) more than a different amp. It did for me on 1988 KHorns a few years ago.