lascala refinish 2

shepjk01

Very nice work!

Theyre stunning. Are those two of the four speakers referred to in the following thread ?

Four abused Lascalas need a good home - sold

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/616881/ShowPost.aspx

EDIT: 090307 @1348 EDT

Im mistaken, Michael Colter sold the other two to Jay at Klipsch, not Trey. Nevertheless it's not beyond belief that they went from Jay to Trey before ending up in Fort Wayne. In any case, the two I bought didnt end up nearly so pretty, but they are performing noble service as reflected in the two threads linked above and below:

Ported La Scalas

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/761099.aspx.

I checked out your thread good job on the refinish. This pair of lascalas came from a bar in OH where Trey bought them from then he replaced all the drivers and painted them with black latex paint. They where definitly in the worst shape of all the speakers I have refinished, but turned out as my best veneering and finishing job yet.

Shepjk01,

You said, This pair of lascalas came from a bar in OH where Trey bought them . . . <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The four speakers in the Four Abused La Scalas . . . thread also came from a bar in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Ohio, but it seems thats merely a coincidence.

The resurrection that you performed is miraculous. Thanks for the compliment, but you embarrass me by even suggesting that the refinishing of those speakers is in any way comparable to what you did. After cleaning away decades of Ohio bar grime, the high schools La Scalas received a quick face lift with plenty of black spray paint and aluminum edging to hide the many cabinet flaws. But we were after function rather than form.

BEEautiful job! The patience it must have taken to get that veneer inside the doghouse . . . .

I too prefer contact cement, but I've read about a few problems using it with paper-backed veneer. The paper backing is not thick enough to stand up to the contact cement and the veneer can lift off or bubble. I was told you need a thicker backer to use it with contact cement. Something like NBL backed veneer. I've had experience with NBL and I don't like the way the edges look. So still, the best choice overall seems to be paper-backed veneer for nice edges, perfectly matched flitches, tight flitch joinery, and a pre-sanded face; along with Heatlock glue that works well long term with the paper-backer on the veneer.

Greg

greg,

Thanks for the compliment it means alot coming from the MAN! I talked with the tech at oak wood veneer many times on the right veneer to use for the applications that I'm doing. Whenever I use contact cement I order the 22.2 mil bubble free veneer which has more layers of paper backing and is made specifically for use with contact cement. I don't know if you have ever used it but it is just like the 10mil just a little thicker because of the more substrate backing. But it works as advertised I have yet to get a single bubble using the 22.2 mil paperbacked veneer with contact cement. Don't get me wrong I still use the thinner 10mil depending on the job it is cheaper per square foot than the 22.2. And yes the inside of the dog house is a chore. The biggest task is getting enough pressure on the veneer to form the bond with the contact cement. Not to mention no two sides on the inside of the bass bin are the same size so each piece has to be individually perfectly cut then getting the cuts straight and right on is another chore.

Let me finish by saying Gregs work was my inspiration for all my current veneering projects. His website with step by step pictures and information was a great help the first few times I veneered and even the last. As with anything in life the more times you do something the better you get at it. This pair of lascalas was so far my best work yet. I also have to thank Jeff(woodsman) another great craftsmen who gave me tips on getting the right finish. There are many here on the forums who are more than willing to help and it is greatly appreciated.

I've always enjoyed watching something that was a mess turn into something that is just so beautiful! What an amazing transformation for your Lascala's! I hope you're able to show them off to the masses, might have to start charging for viewing ( and of course listening ) sessions, [:P] Congrats man, you did a great job.

regards,

andrew

Wow, great job on the la scalas, it amazes me the amount of talant on this forum. I am about done reveneering a set of heresys in ribbon striped sapele veneer, the veneer is on and all is left is the staining and top coat of satin polyuratain.I hope they turn out as nice as your la scalas. Once again hats off to you for a job well done.