Upgraded Mid Drivers

cjgeraci

Numerous previous times I've posted in here that I'm "done." Never seems to end up that way though.

Just ordered a pair of upgraded mid drivers for my modded Khorns. The K55V/Trachorn/Al's ES combo is outstanding, but curiousity has gotten the better of me.......Time to see what a better driver can do for the squawker.

Care to guess which drivers I opted for? [music swells]

Will post pics and impressions once I get them.

Carl.

You throwing on a TAD driver and horn? Or how bout a Klipsch pro cinema product? K510? K402?

I like the way you think.

However, do they really go low enough for the K-Horn bass bin. If they did (and I suspect they don't), you are getting awfully close to setting up a 2-way system. Now that would be cool.

-Tom

I was kinda betting on some new Mach One drivers...

[6]

Remember Doc...he said something about thinking he was done...hearing the Jubes (or even their drivers) is the LAST thing he's going to want to do...it'll only make it worse for those Mach One's

[;)]

You throwing on a TAD driver and horn? Or how bout a Klipsch pro cinema product? K510? K402?

No, I could have gone either the TAD direction or to Klipsch pro cinema drivers, but that would have required moving to a two-inch throated horn and much more $$$$$$ than I wanted to spend. I was this close to going to a two-inch throat and new set of horns, but a little bird talked me out of it.......

And besides, I really like Al's Trachorns with his ES networks and wanted to keep the Trachorns. After all, I stated the K55V/Trachorn/ES is outstanding, and I think the Trachorns, with their psuedo-Tractrix design, are really pretty special horn creatures, I encourage any of you who have not heard a pair - to try them.

Plus, I already have fairly big 511s sitting on my rear Belles, and I wanted to keep the stock look of the Khorn top hat.

So, wanting to stay with a one-inch driver, there is only one real choice to go in that direction......................?????

[hint: this is not new ground - others have gone this route - think "vintage"]

Carl.

Oops, you are right, I misspoke in that there was a second choice, 902s, in the one-inch category. There have been forum members who have crossed them over at 400 hz and slammed them with plenty of spls - so I know that they could have taken it. I almost purchased a pair of new ones from Great Plains Audio. Almost, until I revisited my prior experiences with Altec drivers. I really liked them, and still run them in the rear ----- but........

I seem to prefer the sound of phenolic to aluminum....................

That leaves......?

Carl.

How dare you call me a little bird.....I know i,m vintage.

Better than some other names...............................................................................................................................................[:S]

Carl.

P.S. Heck, these KG 3.5s sound great while grillin' outside.....

You might have to change to the AP12-500. I know, I'm no fun.

Dean

Ding, ding, ding - yup, 2470s. Yes, I know. I thought about switching out to the AP12-500, but I decided to get the 2470s first, load them up and see where I'm at. I still have the Behringer and gasp, I might have to dig out the microphone and take some readings. If I can remember how to work that thing......... After all, some believe that you can get a bit higher out of that bass bin. We'll see just how low the 2470s can go loaded up in the Trachorns.

Another alternative would be going to extreme slope bottoms, but I really like what I hearing out of the bass bins with the AK3 based crossover bottom.

Part of the journey.

Carl.

Yeh those diaphrams new from JBL are $242.00 But they are pretty robust. And will take the slam of a gun shot.( Like his head.). I have several JBL bandwidth charts and are not clear as to the low end xover point...One chart says 400hz another says 500hz....Of course for pro specs they want to be conservative...But for home use Carl is,nt going to push the max threshold. (I hope).

I like the way you think.

However, do they really go low enough for the K-Horn bass bin. If they did (and I suspect they don't), you are getting awfully close to setting up a 2-way system. Now that would be cool.

-Tom

Hey, Tom... Yep, the TAD 2001s match perfectly with the bass bins... at least when using Al K's Extreme Slope networks (mine are 400Hz and 7500Hz). First time you are in the north central Texas area give me a call... come listen. The TAD 2001 is (at least to me) a superb mid driver... mine, going all the way to 7500Hz, leave little for the 2404s to do... they are seamless and drop-dead smooth! [;)]

Cheers,

Rob

Yeh those diaphrams new from JBL are $242.00 But they are pretty robust. And will take the slam of a gun shot.( Like his head.). I have several JBL bandwidth charts and are not clear as to the low end xover point...One chart says 400hz another says 500hz....Of course for pro specs they want to be conservative...But for home use Carl is,nt going to push the max threshold. (I hope).

heh, heh, hey - who me?? With the Peach and VRDs? In that big room??

(quote from Sheltie Dave days ago when Liam and my son ran downstairs and interrupted a "listening session" last weekend: "Son, Mr. Geraci likes to listen to his music a little bit louder than I do.........")[:$]

Carl.

Take it slow and be cautious....The phrams can take it but lets not see if the voice coil wire gets too warm,,,We dont want them to glow like a light bulb. Plus getting them too hot will weaken the magnet flux. then you got two problems,,,1 replacing the VC,,,2 remagnetizing the alnico.