Shipping Boxes for Cornwalls?

MikeGinIllinois

Those are indeed big rascals. If the seller is halfway handy he could take something like the U-Haul wardrobe boxes which could be cut to stretch to the CW dimensions. They would need, IMO, a minimum of four or five inches of sheet styrofoam wrapping the corners. I've received two pair of Heresy with damaged corners from inadequate packing. They need to be packed counting on five foot drops.

One other option, for pro packing and shipping is http://cratersandfreighters.com/ They are a little pricey, but a heck of alot better than damaged CW's. I've used these people to ship LaScalas and they REALLY do it right. They will custom build the box, pack it with sheets of styro and secure it to a pallet for shipping. Also, I found the actual prices somewhat less than what came out on the internet price configurator.

Some posts on this forum have mentioned a blanket wrapped shipping option on some moving/freight services.

Also, consider a road trip among the options. There may even be some forum members along the way who would offer a couch or spare bedroom for the night. If you decide to pick them up in person, you'll never forget your cross country trip to get those sweethearts.

Everybody,

Thank you for this information. I suspect my Ebay seller didn't investigate packing and shipping options prior to offering them for sale. However, I am doing my best to figure out a way to get these from Ocala, Florida to Crystal Lake, Illinois.

I, too, had thought about a U-Haul wardrobe box having just moved to Crystal Lake a few months ago. Yes, that wardrobe box would have to be 'stretched' to accommodate these jumbo speakers. My buddy out here has a pair and I've seen them, up and close and personal, and know that these are humongous. I moved both of my buddy's speakers for a short move for him, one speaker at a time, in my Chevette.

The vault looks pretty good. I think it's pretty neat that the forum has a Keeper of the Vault. I'm betting that shipping the vault would be a bit pricey.

I just sent off an e-mail to a Daytona Beach, Florida, Craters and Freighters asking for a packing/shipping quote. If they can do this for a reasonable price (gulp - I'm wondering . . . ) then I'll see if my seller can drive the 75 miles or so to their facility and get this taken care of.

Just for information's sake I'll post their quote out here so anyone else who gets in this jam can get a guesstimate for shipping Cornwalls.

Thanks, guys. You've all been a big help. I'll let you know the outcome.

Mike Gallery

• Moderators

Mike,

If the shipping doesn't work out you could always call on the Forum buddies here to help you out. A lot of us have made trips to pick speakers up for ohers and hold onto them until such time as pick up could be arranged. We even have a "relay" system of sorts. We have picked up speakers for other members and someone other than the purchasing member has picked them up and brought them to their destination.

Here's an example: dtel and I picked up a pair of forte IIs for oldtimer (forum member) in February 2007. It was an eight hour road trip for dtel and I, but we got to meet another Klipsch fanatic and made a good friend along the way. We agreed to store the speakers indefinitely, or until such time as oldtimer could pick them up or we could drop them off. We are meeting up with another forum member this weekend and he has agreed to deliver the forte IIs to oldtimer, with a promise from oldtimer that he would still make a trip down here for a visit. BTW, the forte IIs we picked up for him are MINTY!!!!!

Good luck!

First, I appreciate your suggestions. If I lived closer to Florida I would see what could be arranged. I've finished my research and the results are:

Crater & Freighters - Orlando, Florida to Crystal Lake, Illinois - $430.00 - this price includes crating and shipping.

Crating only costs $110.00. For that you get one crate with two speakers in it.

I also called Klipsch to see what they could do for me in terms of selling just the boxes. You can get a box for the Cornwall III for $90.00 (and I'm sure shipping is extra). Presumably the III boxes work for II's.

I'm thinking Craters & Freighters is the ticket. I've done a lot of work collecting this information and I'm not even the seller. I'm the buyer! My seller is nice enough when I e-mail him once or twice and he has very good feedback. In his Ebay ad he said:

"I've specified Immediate Payment Required, due to the price of these. Shipping will be actual cost for UPS Ground for TWO packages estimated 130LBS EACH. So whatever the shipping cost appears for you to be, double it." I did a "Buy it Now" and paid now for $575.00 plus $96.70 for the cost of shipping one speaker per the Ebay calculator he had. Then I e-mailed him that I knew I was short and asked him to see if FedEx might be cheaper and that I'd follow up with the extra cost as soon as I got hard numbers.

Well, my seller is down there scratching his head and I'm getting fatigued. Part of me just feels like he made the offer on the terms above and he ought to live up to it. If I came up with another $96.70 for shipping he would just have to drive them 70 miles to Orlando, pay the $430.00, and eat the extra $230.00+ for shipping since he didn't do his homework and check this all out prior to posting his listing. If this keeps dragging on while I have $671.00 sitting on my credit card I may just walk away from the whole deal.

I think the morale of the story is: "Do your homework before you post those Cornwalls on Ebay!"

Mike Gallery

The Klipsch factory shipping boxes for Cornwalls are not adequate for UPS or FedEx shipping. The boxes would work OK using ForwardAir or Craters and Freighters if the boxes were secured to a pallet, but the factory boxes are just not sturdy enough and the foam cushion is only ~1" even in the corners.

The Cornwalls are great speakers; pay the extra bucks for adequate shipping if you can't drive down and pick them up! You won't be dissapointed.

The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cornwall vault might be the answer to your shipping problem. See the Cornwall Vault thread at http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/960509.aspx. Then contact the nearest Forward Air (FA) terminal (see http://www.forwardair.com/locations/falocations.htm) to find out the cost to get the empty 120# vault to Ocala, FL and how much to ship it with Cornwalls to the FA terminal nearest you. The rates are surprisingly reasonable and the vault would insure safe arrival of the speakers.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If you want aditional information, send a PM.