Lf10

Deang

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes TheEAR know why

First AIR LEAKS(around the seal),very audible when low bass was reproduced.

Second,amps clipped very audibly when pushed hard,sounded like the driver was dying,or VC was hitting the magnetic structure!

Third,the output was not competitive with Sunfire and Velodyne at low FREQ.Means down low they had poor output.

My test unit had a serious air lear,the amp clipping problem and after my tests the voice coil must have hit the magnetic structure and bent because when the driver was pushed in the center it made a rubbing sound(OUCH)!

Be warned,be sure to get a full warranty before you buy.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I can't possibly imagine me driving one to those levels.

I just landed one off of ubid for $429.

Is the 'leak' problem the surround on the driver itself or just the gasket between the basket and cabinet.

Is it just the active driver or the PR's also?

------------------

deanG

I think the leak was around the amp plate, but I could be mistaken.

My guess is that Klipsch just fixed a whole bunch of these when they were making the new RSW subs. They have some of the same design principles (PR, high amp power) and maybe they used their new found knowledge (a.k.a. the guy who helped them design the RSW) to fix the pile up they had at headquarters. I have seen them in my local dealers, and all over the place on the net. These things didn't just fall off of a truck. Maybe Klipsch is hoping that people looking for the new RSW will 1) not know the difference and buy the LF-10, thinking that is the new Klipsch sub (because most consumers don't know model numbers like we do), or 2) go to look for an RSW and since not many places have them, ****** up an LF-10 instead at half the price. Seems like odd timing for it to be just coincidence.

One thing is for sure, Klipsch is being pretty quiet about it (unusually quiet if you ask me), since several people have posted about it, and not one comment from the Klipsch crew.

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Velodyne SPL1200 Subwoofer

Monster HTS1000 Power Conditioner

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

It seems obvious to me that Klipsch abandoned the LF series because of a severely flawed design. I don't think the LF12 even made it out the door. There was a market for the LFs, but Klipsch couldn't make them work. The LF was Klipsch's first venture into high end subwoofer country and they didn't have the necessary engineering and/or manufacturing talent to pull it off. This kind of fiasco isn't unusual when a company ventures into new territory. Now they are taking the experience they gained and producing the RSW series, which ought to be much better.

As far as current sales of the LF go, I think all that Klipsch is doing is trying to recoup some of its investment instead of just burying it all in a dump. Could be some pride showing, too, trying to make it less than a total failure. Or, they might just have been using up excess production capacity from schedule slips on other products. Who knows? Don't think we will ever find out. In any case, I doubt many people in the market for an RSW would pop for an LF.

BTW even a reasonable listener may occasionally drive a subwoofer to its limits depending on the program material, especially with HT.

Not true, I think Klipsch handled the LF10 demise quite well and if you do a search on this forum back to last year when the first batches appeared, you will see all kinds of official and unofficial explanations, including the fact that they made a big bunch of them and needed to sell them off to recoup some of the investment, mine was opened when I got it so I hope it was tested before it was sold, I do not abuse it because I know of no audio equipment that lasts long with abuse and it works great (especially considering the close-out price!) ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

"patent infringement problem"

Yes this could be true,can you say Bob Carver.The LF series also used the air spring principle.And even if they used two passive radiators they were quite similar to the SUnfire subs(minus the OUTPUT and trouble free operation).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 2 weeks later...

I got an lf-10 off ubid last week. I took it out of the box and thought, "No way will this small thing be heard along with my KLF-30s!" Well, I was wrong. It adds a great bottom end to music as well as movies. I had read the reviews on audioreview.com, and people seem to be really happy with them and have said that Klipsch has been great at fixing any problems they've had with them. From my experience, you can't beat it for $389 or anywhere close to that.

now go back and watch your favorite movies, it is very interesting which directors use low bass to signal mood shifts in the plot and which ones ignore these instinctual signals, no conclusions yet, but I am more surprized at new movies without deep bass than by movies which have them!

oh, and get a copy of U571, not only a great movie, but also a great bass test too!

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

ForrestGump,

"hank you for a Good lesson in value NC-listen. That something Earmite above has no clue of."

Huh value..what is that? LOL

Who cares about value when you have four Sunflowers,the largest Velo,a big Revel and a tank like Aerial.And when you will get SVS SS and JBL Ti-K.

LOL

Not me,I am not the regular Joe who has value in mind when he looks for subs.Me is the performance,and not much else.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

ForrestDump at least I have money unlike you Gump.

LOL

274 posts and you say you help others!You bash good products you have no clue about and post brain farts to fill space.Most here know you have few things to say,you are a man of few words and lots of anger.

WHY DO YOU HATE CARVER AND KRELL? WHY OH WHY

Just because you have to eat a Pig Mac and cant buy a five star meal does not mean you have o spit on class restaurants.N'est ce pas Gump

Oh I sense anger in your posts,calm down Junior.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 2 weeks later...

Hey TheEAR, for once could you leave out the part in your posts where you tell everyone about all this expensive stereo stuff you own. Most poeple on this forum know what you have, so it just seems like your rubbing it in. Anyways

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Klipsch RC-3 II Center

Klipsch RB-3 Surounds

Nuance Fronts

Hitachi DV-P415U dvd player

theearwax has alot of sarcastic posts. I have yet to see any pictures on this forum of any equipment that he has. I think that he is probably some little kid with whatever equipment mommy and daddy have. Just ignore him.

As for the LF10, I got a post from some of the moderators and the LF10s from the ubid warehouse are covered by the Klipsch warranty.

------------------

Come on honey why can't I spend some more money?

Damn ears for a klipsch forum i sure here sunfire,

dynaudio krell bryston etc etc evertime a post comes

up? Try being a little easier on the people on this board

A little less harshness goes along way we are not all

millionares like you to afford all that stuff. Dont

take this at a stab im new here but every post i see

from you is bragging about some other brand other then

klipsch and is usually putting someone down in some way

or another. No flames please just stating my opinion i

am new to this area and just learning so i dont expect

my audio setup to be is good as alot of you guys but

its a start and im learning.

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony STR-DE975 HT Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

This message has been edited by QUiKSR20 on 01-22-2002 at 03:52 PM

Wifey,

Listen up,I did post pics of some of my gear(and my Klipsch R series,look around this BB better).If you think I have the Dynes and Krell and Co is your right,if you think I invented it all good for ya son.

I dont have to prove anything to you.

Get it?

Thank you for your cooperation

TheEAR(s) Now theears