Buying DEOX-IT

HudsonValleyNoah

OK...What flavor to buy if you are going to clean the pots..etc on a Scott 299?

I've read, re-read the PDF from deox-IT's site what to use but still can't figure it out..

Here's a link to Parts Express...

http://www.partsexpress.com/mfg/caig/caig.cfm?CFID=6706017&CFTOKEN=95978077http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&WebPage_ID=3''>http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&WebPage_ID=3' mce_href="http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&WebPage_ID=3">

Thanks

JJ

JJ,

I know what you mean. The literature gets kind of confusing. My understanding is that most of the sprays are usualy 5% DeoxIT and that most of the small applicators are pure DeoxIT which is why a small pen can cost more than a large spray can.

But that still doesn't tell us which to use. The sprays can be different as well based on info from the PDF files at Parts Express

5 oz spray:

Part No.:
D5S-6
Formulation:
5% DeoxIT
D100L
75% odorless mineral spirits (64742-88-7)
20% hydrocarbon propellant (75-28-5, 74-98-6)
Container Size:
142 g

2oz spray:

Part No.:
D100S-2
Formulation:
20% DeoxIT
D100L 80% DIFLUOROETHANE (75-37-6)
Container Size:
57 g

15 gram mini spray:

Part No.:
D5MS-15
Formulation:
5% DeoxIT
D100L 75% odorless mineral spirits (64742-88-7) 20% hydrocarbon propellant (75-28-5, 74-98-6)
Container Size:
14 g

The 5oz and 15g sprays flush things out and are flammable until the mineral spirits evaporates. The 2oz spray doesn't flush and is non-flammable.

It would be nice if they'd create a table that included suggested uses. I had a 15g of the DeoxIT and ProGold and need to replenish.

I suspect the sprays with mineral spirits would be best for cleaning out gunk while the purer stuff would be better for protecting things that are clean? I've attached a PDF from Parts Express for the 5oz spray.

I will wait for some opinions before I order more. It is very usefull stuff.

I hope I didn't confuse you more.

DeoxIt D5S-6.pdf

• Moderators

They do have a lot of great products, and it does take some time to figure out which is best for what. On the pots for the Scott, I would think Craig would be the best bet on that to ask, but I would think you would want one with flushing and that left some lubrication.

Don't forget their newer ProGold high tempature formula which is great for tube sockets.

Travis

If your pots are scratchy, blow them out with a blast of air then use the D5 cleaner/rejuvenator spray. As long as your at it, go ahead and use the Gold G5 conditioner/lubricator spray as well. Just a little shot will do and be sure to turn the stems while you spray to get the most coverage. Also, avoid spraying any paint and plastic. Have fun...

Still need an answer on which Deox-IT product is best suited for cleaning POTS on a ST 70 or any electronics for that matter.

Pots and switches; a dreaded "disease".... Below are the items I use. First, remove the cover(s) to access the pots and switches. Use the ECG to clean them. Rotate, switch on/off 20-30 times to make sure that you have it. Use the D100L on really bad places. Otherwise, carefully use the MCL100L (a couple drops is all that you need) on each contact surface. Again, function the pot/ switch at least 20 times. Let dry for at least an hour or two.

Here's my recent order from partsexpress...... These items should be good for at least 5 amps or for several years.

341-215

CAIG DeoxIT D100L-2DB Brush Bottle 7.4 ..

$11.88

$11.88

341-256

CAIG DeoxIT FaderLube MCL100L-25C Needl ..

$17.33

$17.33

341-506

ECG RX401-16 Electronics Contact Cleane ..

$23.60

$23.60