Crites Tweeters

ClaudeJ1

I just purchased some mint condition CT-125 tweeters, made by Bob and Mike Crites, from a fellow forum member who cancelled a speaker project. They were a direct drop-in for my LaScalas, which I use as front and rear center channels in my 6.1 HT setup. They even came with their own set of wires, pre-attached, and spade lugs ready to screw into the Klipsch Xovers. I can't imagine an easier upgrade than this one.

After extended listening with an "A" network, in mono, I have decided that they are an incredibly SMOOTH extension of the Klipsch mid horn, adding an amazing amount of missing "micro-detail" in the high frequencies. Great job, gentlemen. Way to fill in the missing 1/2 octave from the K-77's. It's a subtle improvement, but certainly an audible one. Everyone that wants and easy, affordble, extended top end should do this.

The CT125s certainly improved the sound of my La Scalas, with much smoother and more realistic sounds, most noticeably on cymbals. As well, the output of the two tweeters matched to within 0.5 dB, as opposed to the 2-3 dB variance between the two K-77s the speakers came with.

Claude, did you ever check out those Lee Aaron videos on your Sexy female jazz singer on You Tube thread?

The CT125s certainly improved the sound of my La Scalas, with much smoother and more realistic sounds, most noticeably on cymbals. As well, the output of the two tweeters matched to within 0.5 dB, as opposed to the 2-3 dB variance between the two K-77s the speakers came with.

Claude, did you ever check out those Lee Aaron videos on your Sexy female jazz singer on You Tube thread?

Yes, I did, and that's the one I was searching for. Man, that woman knows hot to look sexy when she lip-synchs one of her tunes. From heavy metal princess to jazz queen. Another good looking Canadian girl like Shania Twain strikes the hearts of men everywhere.........yeah!

I agree with all the comments on the CT125. I thought the increased realism in sound of cymbal strikes and such was amazing compared to the K77 and to my ears better than Beymas.

What was truly sweet, IMO, was the ability for this tweeter to handle easily being crossed at 4500hz or below. This 4500 hz mod, easy on a type A, was the best my Khorns ever sounded. Reducing the demands on the K55 allowing it to roll off at 4500hz was a surprising improvement. I was hearing distortion on the K55 that I didn't know I was hearing until I wasn't hearing it.

I agree with all the comments on the CT125. I thought the increased realism in sound of cymbal strikes and such was amazing compared to the K77 and to my ears better than Beymas.

What was truly sweet, IMO, was the ability for this tweeter to handle easily being crossed at 4500hz or below. This 4500 hz mod, easy on a type A, was the best my Khorns ever sounded. Reducing the demands on the K55 allowing it to roll off at 4500hz was a surprising improvement. I was hearing distortion on the K55 that I didn't know I was hearing until I wasn't hearing it.

Can you post your crossover schematic, there Daddy Dee!!

Well done, Claude. I love Bob's CT 125 tweeters, which use the Eminence supertweeter. I use the CT 125 in my center Belle, and the same Eminence supertweeters (with different horns) in my Khorns and my side Fortes - for seamless tweeters in my front five. Also tried Beymas up front, but ended up prefering the Eminence.

Just out of curiousity, how would you compare the 2404s to the CT 125s? Interested in hearing your thoughts because I was contemplating playing around with a set of 2404s.

Carl.

Well done, Claude. I love Bob's CT 125 tweeters, which use the Eminence supertweeter. I use the CT 125 in my center Belle, and the same Eminence supertweeters (with different horns) in my Khorns and my side Fortes - for seamless tweeters in my front five. Also tried Beymas up front, but ended up prefering the Eminence.

Just out of curiousity, how would you compare the 2404s to the CT 125s? Interested in hearing your thoughts because I was contemplating playing around with a set of 2404s.

Carl.

I have not done an A/B comparison. Bob alerted me to an "A" Klipsch Xover for sale on Ebay for $25, calling for it's "rescue." Turns out the guy lived about 1/2 mile from where I needed to pick up my daughter's new couch with my trailer anyhow, so what a co-incidence. The guy also sold me a 1966 empty LaScala cabinet for $10. A friend sold me a K33E for $50 I got a single K55V and an old K-400 metal horn (the most expensive portion), so all I needed was one tweeter, but I got a pair in mint condition for almost the price of just one..................so, I put the other CT-125 in my original 1977 La Scala. I have corner horns for mains with the JBL2404's, which have their own Xover designed by John Warren (great sound). Since the La Scalas are merely center channel duty (front and back) they are not that critical, since they are not turned one for stereo listning and only serve voice duty during movies.. However I did casually notice the "timre of the tinkly sounds" from the CT-125 in the rear LaScala is similar to the JBLs, since they are both flat to 20 Khz.

I have not immediate need or motivation to do an A/B, but if I do it seriously in the future, I'll be sure to post my opinion here about it, fair enough?

Carl.

I have not done an A/B comparison. Bob alerted me to an "A" Klipsch Xover for sale on Ebay for $25, calling for it's "rescue." Turns out the guy lived about 1/2 mile from where I needed to pick up my daughter's new couch with my trailer anyhow, so what a co-incidence. The guy also sold me a 1966 empty LaScala cabinet for $10. A friend sold me a K33E for $50 I got a single K55V and an old K-400 metal horn (the most expensive portion), so all I needed was one tweeter, but I got a pair in mint condition for almost the price of just one..................so, I put the other CT-125 in my original 1977 La Scala. I have corner horns for mains with the JBL2404's, which have their own Xover designed by John Warren (great sound). Since the La Scalas are merely center channel duty (front and back) they are not that critical, since they are not turned one for stereo listning and only serve voice duty during movies.. However I did casually notice the "timre of the tinkly sounds" from the CT-125 in the rear LaScala is similar to the JBLs, since they are both flat to 20 Khz.

I have not immediate need or motivation to do an A/B, but if I do it seriously in the future, I'll be sure to post my opinion here about it, fair enough?

Fair enough. Not pressing or asking you to do so, but just curious, that's all. After I get finished playing with my midrange driver swap (or even before), I'll probably start playing with a pair.

Carl.

Bob:

This is not about different approaches to attenuation. I'm curious if you have ever experimented with wiring the bandpass so that both the 13uf capacitor and inductor are in series IN FRONT of the autoformer, rather than with the inductor installed between the autoformer and driver -- and with the tweeter NOT connected to the top of the autoformer, but directly to the input. In the bandpass, the 13uf capacitor would operate at the low-end, however the value of inductance would be selected based on the same impedance used to calculate the amount of capacitance needed at 400Hz with the squawker connected to tap 4.

Erik

Claude:

I use these tweeters in my Klipschorns, and they made a difference for the better. I'm using a higher order network with them, and chose a 4,000Hz crossover point. I think an equal improvement has in this case to do with the midrange. I want to get another one (BEC tweeter) to use for our center channel to match the Klipschorns as closely as possible.

Erik

Bob:

This is not about different approaches to attenuation.  I'm curious if you have ever experimented with wiring the bandpass so that both the 13uf capacitor and inductor are in series IN FRONT of the autoformer, rather than with the inductor installed between the autoformer and driver -- and with the tweeter NOT connected to the top of the autoformer, but directly to the input.  In the bandpass, the 13uf capacitor would operate at the low-end, however the value of inductance would be selected based on the same impedance used to calculate the amount of capacitance needed at 400Hz with the squawker connected to tap 4. 

Erik

Erik,

I haven't tried that.  I worked out this mod while watching the result on a spectrum analyzer making as little change as possible to the original Type A design.

Bob

Bob:

I can understand and respect your wish to stay as close to the original as possible. What I suggested is only slightly different from your 4,500Hz modification, but I was just thinking that the autoformer could be considered as essentially the driver, just as a resistive L-pad comes after the crossover. The 13uf capacitor and series inductor (which would be a slightly different value than what is indicated above) would then be installed before the autoformer.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you had given it a try.

Erik

Bob:

This is not about different approaches to attenuation. I'm curious if you have ever experimented with wiring the bandpass so that both the 13uf capacitor and inductor are in series IN FRONT of the autoformer, rather than with the inductor installed between the autoformer and driver -- and with the tweeter NOT connected to the top of the autoformer, but directly to the input. In the bandpass, the 13uf capacitor would operate at the low-end, however the value of inductance would be selected based on the same impedance used to calculate the amount of capacitance needed at 400Hz with the squawker connected to tap 4.

Erik

ya know, after looking at the printout of the schematic I was wondering the same thing myself. I thought about just pulling the 2 uF caps from my La Scala AA with new caps. and using 2 tweeter inductors in series (I have 2 old (old caps) spare AA networks, which look bad, but I'm sure the chokes are fine.

Claude:

"ya know, after looking at the printout of the schematic I was wondering the same thing myself. I thought about just pulling the 2 uF caps from my La Scala AA with new caps. and using 2 tweeter inductors in series (I have 2 old (old caps) spare AA networks, which look bad, but I'm sure the chokes are fine."

I'm not really clear on what you're proposing, here. What I mentioned above is the conventional way to wire a 1st order 3-way bandpass crossover. The autoformer is simply a way to atttenuate the midrange. The tweeter branch in most network are connected directly to the input. Why do you want to use to inductors in series for the tweeter?

Erik