It needs more BARN !

colterphoto1

I wasn't aware that typical pole barn construction used such flimsy roofs or had forgotten as that sounds a lot like a large pole barn our cousins who still farm built quite a few years ago to protect the farm machinery from the elements. That type of construction is way too flimsy for a garage, warehouse, workshop, indoor/outdoor listening room type of building like you're building. You definitely want a much more substantial roof. I was thinking more of the pole barn type commercial buildings I've seen though I'm not familiar with the roof construction.

1x6 deck boards. There's something I like about real lumber as opposed to OSB or even plywood. I suspect real deck boards would probably dampen the sound better than OSB or plywood decking. Maybe a layer of rubber type roll roofing between the deck boards and the metal roofing would help to further quiet things down. That might be too expensive but maybe no more so than spraying on or otherwise insulating from the inside. I suspect there are metal roofing products that would come with sound deadening already applied.

From a maintenance standpoint, a metal roof is hard to beat. I would think it shouldn't be too difficult to make it quiet enough. The biggest drawback would be the higher initial cost as I'm sure they are more expensive.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in the spray on insulation- don't believe in putting drywall in a barn, too labor intensive.

As in sprayed on polyurethane insulation? If so, just a side note, you'll have to verify local building codes if you are considering leaving the it exposed on the inside... as it is not permitted by our local fire code.

I think I've seen insulation encased or covered in plastic in a pre-engineered type of building (Kokomo Flipsters in Kokomo) if sprayed on insulation isn't an option.

1x6 decking is probably way too expensive unless you have your own portable saw mill or have a friend with one along with a ready supply of lumber and time to let it dry though getting it kiln dried might not be overly expensive. Might be doable to hire someone with a portable sawmill if you have the trees but still sounds more expensive than the normal OSB or plywood.

I suspect the rough sawn native timber (looks like oak to me, very hard and strong) my grandfather and father used in their chicken coops and sheds came from the property. The trim in our family home in which my brother now lives was milled from walnut (downstairs) and butternut (upstairs) at the local lumber yard from my family's trees.

Michael,

Good luck on your "Barn Project". I am wondering if yours will end up like my "Kitchen Project".

My project started out simply enough - install a kitchen island.

One thing lead to another....

While I am at it why not .....

If you are going to all the trouble of that then why not .....

Since the room is empty, now is the best time to ....

The end result: I now have a thoroughly renovated Kitchen (new appliances, counter tops, plumbing, cabinets, renovated electrical, lighting, new tile floor, trim carpentry, window treatments). Multiply this up since the kitchen is 480 sq ft. Well, so much for simply installing a kitchen island.

It was absolutely worth it. It also took forever since I am a slow DIYer.

Perhaps your "Barn Project" will have a similar conclusion.

Just start repeating the mantra:

"One thing leads to another.... While I am at it why not ..... If you are going to all the trouble of that then why not ..... Since the Barn is empty, now is the best time to ...."

Good Luck with the project. I predict that no matter what happens, a year from now you will be the proud owner of a Barn like no other, and grinning from ear to ear.

-Tom

I'm keeping it simple gang. But could use some thoughts regarding layout and space usage.

BZA hearing is Nov 8, my bday is the 9th, then property taxes due the 13th- ugh!

Current thinking is to make 40x60, divide into two halves 20 wide x 30 deep each.

one half is the 'cold side' with that blown on insulation that will hold boat and truck with double garage doors on side of building, with 10 deep storage at the nose end of vehicles for lawnmower garden tools, etc.

one half is the 'warm side' with 220V air conditioner, wood stove, proper walls and ceiling, this will be further separated into 20x15 woodshop area and 20x15 speaker storage area that could be corridoned off for 'clean room' for painting and finishing.There would be a single entry door possibly, and a large sliding barn door on the end of building that will open onto the yard area.

I'll try to sketch it up and post a preliminary drawing. Also need to check construction costs, it might not cost too much more to make it a bit bigger......

I may also be able to come help move some stuff or assist with any work you do yourself.

Best of luck! I bet you'll have one of the best sounding barns in Indy. (Better not say the best as somewhere I think I saw a post that an long term esteemed Klipsch engineer has a barn with a couple of speakers in it... )

If your projects are like mine ... it'll get done a LOT FASTER that way... I'm usually running to one of the girls' sporting events or something so I hardly ever get to work on projects ... no barn raising doesn't mean you can't throw a barn party [:D]

I'd be willing to help with the moving and workshop if I'm not busy as I actually enjoy building things and I think can cut off 2 by lumber square and the correct length (with a power miter saw - hope for straight with a hand saw), even square with a circular saw. Might even have a clue by the time I finish rebuilding our bathroom... or at least know a few more things not to do.

Most of my tools are relatively portable. Even a few odd ones such as a cordless hammer drill if you find yourself in need of a hammer drill, just give me a call or send me a message. Eats up the batteries pretty quick but works pretty well for a few holes, especially if they're not too big (I've mainly used it for a couple of 1" holes through stone, mortar, and concrete block as a hammer drill and it gives me a second cordless drill [:D]).

Of course in the bathroom, the girls often unplug my charger to plug in a hair dryer so I need to find an alternate power source or just finish gutting the bathroom but then we'd only have 1. Not a good idea to share 1 bathroom with wife and 2 teenage girls. One shower and no tub is bad enough.

Here's a cropped view of just this property, showing a proposed barn of the same size (32x48) 15 feet on my side of the current property line. I've also shown a proposed great room additon (where a screened porch is now), taken away the back driveway (which will become fill material for the barn floor), and added the short driveway that will extend from the motor court to the barn and a small patio area off to the lawn side.

The drive area will lead to two garage doors- one each for truck and boat. On the north side (top of drawing) and East end (to the right) will be storage space for garden tools, lawnmower, speakers, and the Klipsch workshop.

post-10755-13819349621412_thumb.jpg

Hey Michael, here's my input.

I love the idea of attaching this building to your house, even if it's through a connector building. Nothing like being able to ramble in and out of your shop from the house any old time you want. Eliminates the need for a bathroom in the shop. I'm only 5 minutes drive from my shop, but it keeps me from going there a lot of times, believe it or not.

Build it big enough the first time. It's not that much more costly to build a bigger box.

Make sure your overhead doors are large enough. Insulated overhead doors with automatic openers.

I would use a monolithic insulated concrete slab foundation with radiant floor heating in the parts you want heated. Radiant floor heating is great for a workshop, and it's a low-water-temperature system, meaning it is flexible enough now and in the future to be used with ANY warm water source, like solar. It's also relatively inexpensive to install in a concrete slab. You could put a water heater in there and heat the building very easily. I have a CDRom available that details how to build one of these foundations. Let me know if you want one.

I would build with a standard 2 x 6 wall, 24" o.c. stud spacing, 10' tall. Then use trusses for the roof framing. 7/16" O.S.B. sidewall sheathing, and 5/8" T+G O.S.B. roof sheathing.

Use 5/8" drywall on the ceiling and insulate with cellulose insulation in the ceiling, 24" to 36" thick. If you can afford spray urethane foam for the walls, do it. If not, put fiberglass batts in there. If you can afford a layer of foam insulation board on the exterior of the wall, that would be good too, in addition to the fiberglass batts.

I have a metal roof that is insulated underneath with spray urethane foam, and I can still hear the rain quite pronounced.

If you do end up doing spray urethane, but don't want to cover it with drywall, the installer that installs the spray urethane can spray on a fire-rated cement coating like I did in my shop, pretty cheap.

I love the wide pine boards that I put in my shop. They look nice, they are durable, and you can attach things anywhere you want on the walls.

Don't forget to install good lighting. Very, very important part of this project. More important than windows if you ask me. The best flourescent lights have high-performance ballasts and use the T-8 bulbs (for 10' ceilings).

Greg

• 1 month later...

Greg928gts knows what he's talking about. I'm in Florida and would do what he suggests...and have at my parents home in Dunnellon. As far as roofing, use the 5/8th sheeting then 50 lb felt and then Galvalume metal roofing and you will never regret it. My family has it on 3 homes and it is great. 50 yr guarantee. We have Hurricaines down here and very heavy rain storms, hail too sometimes. Metal is no problem and it will help with cooling in the summer. Collect the rain run-off and water your lawn later. Build as big as you can afford now cause you will regret not doing so later. Promise. Your income will increase and the home value will increase. You may gain another income... You are lucky to be able to do this ENJOY !

Michael,

After thinking about this project, one thought came to mind. Talk with your Realtor about your Plans too. They will be able to help you make wise decisions that will Improve your Property values ( Especially in your Neighborhood).

1. Realtor 5. Roger

2 Architect

3. Builder

4. Banker

I'dneed a new realtor Bill- my cousin is the one who got me into this mess in the first place. I will NEVER work with an attorney again, the project is financed already, I am the builder.

The legal nightmare is over. My attorney lost an unlosable case. So at least that's done now and I'm dedicated to planning and building my own Klipsch Workshop. (let's call it the Workshop, not a barn- that's what the other guy has).

I just need to plan it an go. I'm thinking perhaps of steel construction, that also keeps the ceiling open and will go up very quickly. Trey used to do chicken houses in Arkansas so have him for help. I like the idea of monolith foundation and some radient heat source. The pole barn with slab pour is just not up to standard for the neighborhood. I want something more stable for our freeze/thaw climate.