Rotel vs Outlaw Comparison

gbrlex

I'm currently using a Rotel 1068 Pre-amp with a Rotel 1095 amp with KLF 30's in the front and rear with a C-7 center channel. I've heard alot of good things about Outlaw and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Also, would I hear any substantial difference in the two systems. I'm considering the Outlaw 990 and 7500 combo. My son bought the Outlaw receiver and loves it.

Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.

That is the exact pre/pro combo I'm using. I have been very pleased with it. I've used it for just under 1 year now with Forte II's and for 2 channel music, its fantastic. The options you have as far as dsp modes are ones that you would actually use, stereo, upsample, and bypass (in which all the video circuitry is turned off and no processing is done to the signal whatsoever). I've recently been listening to a lot of multichannel music and I've yet to be dissapointed with the options I have with the outlaw. It has independent bass management for all 5 (actually up to 7 but I only have 5) channels, as well as delay correction that allows you to input each speaker's distance from your listening spot. You can also increase/decrease the level of all the channels independently by +/- 12db I think. I've never changed this setting by more than 2 or 3db but I know you have a lot of control with it. Also, all the connections in the rear of the 990 are high quality, nothing feels cheap or likely to break with multiple changes of interconnects. I opted to get the balanced cables for running between the preamp and the amp, mainly because I've never had the option before, and the cables didn't cost must different than a good set of unbalanced interconnects so I figured it was worth it. All in all, I think the outlaw gear makes a good match with my Klipsch speakers. I just can't wait to get my Denon 3930ci dvd player so I can finally listen to all my multichannel music in hi-resolution. I hope all this helps!

Shawn

We have thought about doing the comparison. However, comparing a 65w receiver to 200wpc might not give a true difference in sound. He used to have an Aragon pre-amp and he's convinced the Outlaw sounds better with his Kappa 9's. He's using an Aragon 4004II for the Kappa 9's and the 65wpc for the center & surrounds. We think the bass is much better with the Outlaw. He doesn't have a subwoofer, but I'm using a SVS12/Plus12 in my system. Don't get me wrong, my system sounds great. However, the Outlaw 990 offers a phono input, balanced outputs to the amp and a tuner. I've always tried to match my pre-amps with the same manufacturer's amps. I must admit when I was using a Rotel 1080 for the front speakers, my 2 channel sound seemed much better than the 1095. That's what got me looking at the Outlaw combo.

I agree with the responses so far. Testing your son's Outlaw will give you an idea about the sound flavor but a good receiver probably won't best good separates. I've been a very satisfied owner of the 990/7500 for 2 years. Exceptional build quality & the current price of the 990 is unbeatable. Speculation is they are preparing to release a new processor which features HDMI 1.3.

I've never heard any Rotel but people sure seem to like them. Personally, I doubt if you would notice $2000 worth of attributable difference. You could always take advantage of Outlaw's trial program & test the 990 for yourself in your own room on your spks which is always best.

I had a 990 and a 1095 at the same time,I thought the sound was great in all areas(for a 5ch amp)the 1080 though is superior for 2ch.I also had a 7125 with the 990,also a 1068,ref 50II,and a few more,at the same time.The differences in these models were mostly features/looks,they all sounded pretty nice,in any combo.The 7125 was a great amp that sounded better than a 200 watt Adcom I had.The 990 at it's current price cannot be beat for sound,not new anywho,although in my opinion it's no looker,mine had shading in the finish too.I give it a .001% better sound than the 1068,but prefer the 1068 for features and looks,and even paid more.If you had an avr I'd say go for it but there is very little to be gained for the money.And,the new line up from many manufacturers is close at hand,with lotsa real improvements in all areas.

I have heard some say that the Outlaw amps are "Bright" sounding vs some of the comp? Though I have no personal experience of that with them. I was thinking of getting a 7700 amp and buying some RF-83's. Has anyone noticed a significant sound difference with some of the referenced names ie..Rotel, Outlaw, NAD, Sunfire. ect...

I by accident did a side by side comparison with the Rotel 1080, and a Carver TFM 24, (through 7's) and the Carver was "thin" sounding. I had a couple of the Carvers around (was heading in that direction) and inadvertantly had 1 on 1 channel, and the Rotel on another, and it was very noticable. Never heard the Sunfire's so not sure how they are voiced.

I have the 950 PrePro and 7100 amp from Outlaw Audio...I have heard them on Heresys and Quartets and don't find them bright at all...other amps I have compared them to are EICO Tube, VRDs, McIntosh, Nakamichi STASIS...sound very nice...I prefer Tubes for two channel but I enjoy my Outlaw gear for music as well as movies...

Bill

I currently have the 950 and 750 from Outlaw running my RF-83 setup. I had this setup also hooked up the the same 950 and a 7100 from Outlaw and can tell a difference between the two. The 750 is 165 wpc and the 7100 is 100 wpc.. The Outlaw equipment the I have was purchased used and has not been a problem. I am also considering the upgrade again, both pre and amp. Although not the best looking of equipment but still preforms with the best.

I have not compared this setup to others, only ARV, but can say I am very happy with my purchase.

James

I have the Outlaw 990 and compared it recently to a Mcintosh C1000P (transistor) preamp which has nine sources each, including both moving-coil (MC) and moving-magnet (MM) inputs. There are three sets of balanced inputs and four sets of unbalanced, not including the unbalanced MM/MC inputs. Three sets of balanced outputs allow for convenient triamping, if you're so inclined. Two unbalanced outputs allow for biamping in unbalanced mode. Because each preamp has its own inputs and outputs, double runs of cables are required for each amplifier channel, for a total of four for a conventionally amplified system, or twelve cables for a balanced triamplified stereo system. Both preamps convert unbalanced signals to balanced, and vice versa.

Too tell you the truth, I leaned towards the Outlaw 990 in sound but it is damn ugly, and I mean butt ugly. But if you can bag it, get it.