good starter tube amp for a pair of cornwalls?

Shodrewken

Not trying to take anything away from the Baby Nu2 and very good price by the way[;)]

I have no doubt it will drive them just fine at low levels but to really get the surround on those 15;s going in and out you'll need 40 or better at least for my rock - n - roll bone head[:o]

If I had some spare funds I would like it for my Las until the lottery numbers hit[:P]

Not trying to take anything away from the Baby Nu2 and very good price by the way[;)]

I have no doubt it will drive them just fine at low levels but to really get the surround on those 15;s going in and out you'll need 40 or better at least for my rock - n - roll bone head[:o]

If I had some spare funds I would like it for my Las until the lottery numbers hit[:P]

I agree with you that they are more of a SET sound, but I disagree with your statement of at least 40 watts.  My Horn Monos are 25wpc and they will make the house rattle. ;)

Cornwalls are exceptionally sensitive and will work very well with a good single-ended 2A3 amplifier (e.g., Doc Bottlehead's Paramour II) at a blistering 3.5 watts.

IME, they sound fantastic with a Marantz 8B (35 wpc push-pull EL34) but that's only a starter amp for someone who does hedge funds or such for a living.

A vintage Fisher pp 7868 or 7591 receiver (400, 500C, etc.) is a very, very nice match. These are about 25 wpc and smooth out the Cornies rough edges quite nicely.

I long used mine with a pp EL84 amp; in my case, an EICO HF-81 (ca. 12 wpc). Very, very nice, although NOT up to the 8B. These aren't inexpensive anymore, though.

A modest Magnavox pp EL84 or pp 6V6 stereo power amp from a late-'50's/early-60's hifi console would NOT be a bad, nor an expensive, choice. These amps are plentiful and cheap (mine was a dump find). They have simple if bizarre circuit topologies and sound far, far better than they have a right to with relatively minor restoration.

You'll note I am heavily biased towards vintage amps. I can explain why if anyone's interested (but y'all probably know the reasons already).

An 8B a starter amp???? Many would say its a finish amp.

Craig

Well I started out into separates with an 8b. [:D]

Cviper one question comes to mind and that is do you want integrated or do you already have a pre and are looking for just an amp? It does make a difference and if you are using a pre what is it?

Gosh, so many 'out there' that could qualify. Competently renovated Dynaco ST-70s and Scott integrateds might be a possibility, although there are lots of listeners who use those as 'final-choice' amps, too. I have an ST-70 in the system right now. Cost is not always a reflection of how well something will perform or appeal to differences of individual taste and preference. One of the best sounding amplifiers I have is a 3-channel digital component from Teac, and it was about 1/15th the price of a more expensive pair of monoblocks I own.

The Marantz 8B is one amplifier I would very much like to have, although they tend to be a little more costly than most examples of the brands/models mentioned above. The vintage Marantz gear is always so well put together IMO.

Have fun with the adventure,

Erik

Someone whose work I'm familiar with, and who has very good feedback. My own Dynaco ST-70 was rebuilt by Autospec. He always offers for exceptionally fair prices, and is an honest man if I ever knew one.

Have a look -- and at the amount of the investment. Might qualify as a good starter, but at this price I considered it myself despite the fact I am able to work on this stuff. You never know, the $200 cost of admission might even be worth many years of good listening. The problem is that most of us have had good systems many times over, but just enjoy the fun of something new and different. Nothing wrong with that.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1197508862

Erik

Larry,

I am also looking for a tube amp for my cornwalls. If you had an idea of what you wanted for

the unit and are interested in selling please let me know. I have heard

nothing but good from owners of these amps especially when Craig

freshens them up. Thanks!

This amp has seen a few Forum members,I'm not sure what it is going to take to fix.I bought a JM Blueberry because of it and have never been happier .I now have three Cornwall's with three amps and have not had to the desire to change. Thanks for asking.

Larry

The 8B is a mofo of an amp... as I said, it might be a starter amp for a hedge fund manager.

an 8B :-)

Craig probably doesn't even know it, but he did the amp rehab on my 500C (and Mike Williams the RF) before it was mine :-)

(you can see a Cornie hiding under it and behind a folded TQWT in the photo)

Fisher 500C and friends