Google Stock.....How High?

Tarheel

Pigs get fed; hogs get slaughtered. If I rode the roller coaster that high and that fast, I'd have to think to myself how lucky I have been. It's like winning $10,000 in Vegas, and then feeling empowered to keep playing until you lose it.

Take the cash and don't worry too much about how much you might have left on the table. That is, if it's serious cash.

Thanks for the concern guys. Seems the concensus is to sell.....market was down 366 today and google hardly flinched.....I don't know...may be room to run yet. I rember 1987 and the tech bubble of 2000.....so I know the risk. What I am taking a beating on are my "safe" stocks....the money center banks...Citigroup, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Washington Mutual....

To use Mark's prior example, I think they're all tulip bulbs. A person can do well, and if you get in, diversification is the key. Me? I don't like any of that. Real estate has its ups and downs, as we all know, but in the end of the day, I will know it is still there and will not vanish like a number on a piece of paper can. It is mine. I can build on it. I can occupy it. I can let it sit there. Whatever.... as long as I can afford to hold it if I need to.

Stocks can flat-out disappear, like World.Com and Enron. I don't like that at all.

Me, I'd rather have the gold.

They can always print more shares...

I have an easier time with physical things. Do any of you guys have the actual certificates? If I owned gold, it would be in my safe.

For the same reasons, of preferring physical commodities, I own 3 houses. Good thing is, I don't want to sell any of them.

• 1 year later...

I bought some GOOG at the depths of the market dive, at $300, only to see it keep going up. Sold it to day trade financial stocks. Now trading at $458. Gold? At $957 COMEX is rising its head against the $1,000 per ounce psychological barrier. If the U.S. and other economies begin to recover, money may diversify out if the USD, resuming its sinking trend and sending GLD and others through the $1K ceiling.

You're always gonna have problems lifting a body in one piece.
Apparently the best thing to do is cut up a corpse into six pieces and
pile it all together. And when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because
it's no good leaving it in the deep freeze for your mum to discover,
now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You
got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up
body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of
your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies'
digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want
to go sievin' through pig shit, now do you? They will go through bone
like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one
sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go
through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That
means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every
minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig".

Do any of you guys have the actual certificates?

Interesting old thread, especially when we reflect back on what has happened from then til now. Aside from all that... the comment above is something I'd like to say something about.

If you (speaking generally, not towards Mungkiman) actually love your family I would suggest you should NOT take physical delivery of your certificates. Each state might have its own nuances but here in Tennessee...

If you have certificates in your name and your time comes and you're gone, your wife/children have to clean this mess up right? "so what, I have a will" you say and your will dictates your kids get the shares 50/50.

Fine.

If you lived in Tennessee then your appointed executor would need to come to my office, certificates in hand. We would open an account for him/her. In addition to the certificates, they (the executor) would need to provide me with:

1. Actual certificate

2. Signed stock power

3. Court certified, LESS than 30 days old Letter of Testementary (says who is the executor and that you have passed)

4. State tax waiver

"so what" you say.... I have a will and my child can take care of that for me.

Fine... but...what if you have 25 different stock positions in certificate form? What this means is your child will have to bring me TWENTY FIVE stock powers, TWENTY FIVE court certified letters of testementary, TWENTY FIVE Tennessee tax waivers.

If you looked futher down the road while alive you would realize you could deposit all these certificates (with 25 stock powers) by the stroke of your pen. Upon your demise with the shares already in the account, your child would need to provide me with only ONE set of the paperwork mentioned, not 25 sets.

Furthermore.... if you had the foresight to have your account titled as a "TOD" account (Transfer on death) your child would not need to bring me anything other than a death certicate on your demise. No stock power, no letters of testementary, no TN tax waivers.... NO PROBATE!!!

If you (anyone reading) catches anything out of what I've said.... I would hope you pick up on the TOD comment. A year ago when my aunt passed away, I had power of attorney prior to her passing. I knew she wanted her son to get all her bank accounts (all whopping one of them) BUT... I recognized right away he was going to have to probate her estate.

I used my POA and converted her bank account to a POD (pay on death) and when she passed away, he & I walked in there and after giving them a copy of her death certificate, we walked out about an hour later with her banking taken care of and he then had sufficient funds (hers) to pay for her burial. He walked out of that town "done" and didn't have to go back to probate anything.

If you like the idea of having your loved ones having to go through probate to convert your accounts to theirs, carry on.

If you love your children and want them to avoid/minimize probate hassels, then find out more about POD and TOD designations

http://www.sec.gov/answers/todreg.htm

http://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consumer/news/cnwin0304/cvrstry.html (scroll down about halfway)

post-15072-13819499213196_thumb.gif

1. Actual certificate

I forgot to mention... let's hope you have the actual certificate and haven't lost it.

If you in fact lose a certificate, yes, it CAN be replaced. They will however, usually charge you a 2 or 3 percent (of current market value) surity bond. This is to protect them agasint the certificate showing up later on and them paying for it twice.

I once had a lady who had 1,500 or so, shares of Walmart. She held the certificate. She was a very scatterbrained lady. She said she watned to sell them BUT she couldn't find them. Upon me telling her they could be replaced, she simply said "ok, go ahead and replace them"

Upon finding out that the cost to her for her surity bond was going to be something like $750 she put the brakes on BIG time and said to wait... she wanted to look around first.

Don't you know that she called me back about 10 minutes later, certificate in hand. She was just to freaking lazy to go look for it and wanted to jump through the process of having it replaced UNTIL she found out it was going to cost her $750.

What if her house had caught on fire and she had 25 different certificiates? She'd have to pay that surity bond on all of them.

Words of wisdom.... keep your certificiates in your account, there's probably 3 other issues I could get into here but with an old thread like this.... I'll leave it at that.