$98.87 Toshiba HD-DVD players starting this Friday

el jopez

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it does an amazing job of playing regular DVDs... one of the best ranked/raved about up-scalers on a deck under $500... blows the Oppo upscaler out of the water.

Yes, you get the 5 disc (where did you see 7?) deal as well.

Considering this deck was still $220-240 2 weeks ago - yes, it is a supersteal - discontinued or not. Also plays music CDs of course, and a couple other formats (not MP3s however)

I thought the 5 free movie deal was over on Sept 30th. If you guys found a way to get the 5 free movies let me know that would be awsome.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/3/969535/ShowThread.aspx#969535

First post on this page.

I bought the Eagles farewell concert on HD-DVD - they look like they are going to jump off the screen :) Also bought Batman Begins - not nearly as impressed. Filming with actual HD cameras makes a world of difference. Will be buying Star Wars Ep3 shortly - that should be very impressive.

I decided to keep the deck, and am buying the Oppo HDMI switch... not happy about the whole thing with the pink screen, but HK has stonewalled me - so what else can I do? :(

I heard Batman Begins was supposed to bery good on the HD DVD......

oh it looks good - don't get me wrong, but watching it on the heels of The Eagles and Planet Earth - both of which were filmed with HD cams - just seemed a little lacking - comparatively I am sure it is loads better than the widescreen sd copy.. but I also did see it premiere at the IMAX at Navy Pier in Chicago :)

Well, mine's on its way to Toshiba for servicing. It is locking up with every disc format including audio CDs. I upgraded the firmware and it still did it. So, I called their customer service and I guess I have to ship it to them (on my dime I might add) and they said they'll turn it around within 3 days and FedEx it back to me.

It really sucks because the picture quality is unbelievable and as a DVD upscaler this thing blows my Oppo out of the water. Oh well, in a week I'll have it back hopefully in tip-top shape.

I read the manual looking for error messages..... Anyway I'm still a bit confused about the audio, with the optical out, set to bitstream am I getting 5.1/7.1? And if it's set tt PCM the manual makes me think all you get is stereo?....feel free to eleobrate...

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got mine back from the Toshiba service center yesterday. GIANT box, they double boxed the original box I sent them along with about a mile of grocery-bag-looking packing material. Looks like a great box I can use if I sell something on eBay!

Played Ocean's 13 last night and had zero issues with playback. The picture quality looked amazing. Details on background items like brick walls were so clear I couldn't believe it. I can't wait to watch Shrek 3 and also Transformers and The Eagles Farewall Tour concert!

• 2 weeks later...