hickory khorns??????????

funkyhambone

I've been trying to keep a running "log" of veneers offered (since about 1970's at least..), but have not run across hickory as an option. Likely because it's so tricky to work with, especially in the large pieces that would be needed to do a pair.

(Edited - veneer/finish code list beng updated; thanks to everyone who is providing other veneer/finishes from factory; will post it again later)

Jim,

Thanks for the assistance!! Adds some more to the growing list, especially some of the special order veneers that seem to have been done by the factory back in the late 60's and 70's. On the (Maccassar) Ebony, I think that was the E* option, but have to check. Somewhere along the line, one of the ebony types became "endangered" and they shifted to a different type. Do the Brazilian Rosewoods also have the "BR"? that was the same as BR (raw birch). Also on that line, I'd like to call you about a very peculiar pair of KB-BR's I have that do not look like birch...... PM sent. Also, will be in LR in two weeks, look forward to meeting you.

As rare as that finish is it look like stained birch the grain is kind of uninvolving as compared to the stunning Brazilian Rosewood, Rambling Rose, and Macassar finishes.

My local friend Wayne has a pair of the Hard Rock Maple lacquer Cornwalls, Klipsch even used a nice creme colored paint on the inner lips and backs to contrast the Maple finish but they look plain as well.

The Heresy's that Gilbert looked at in Arkansas that the guy wanted $3K for had a hand picked BR-L finish now those were nice, but not $3K nice.

The Ebony Forte's that were pictured on here once years ago were stunning.

"As rare as that finish is it look like stained birch the grain is kind of uninvolving as compared to the stunning Brazilian Rosewood, Rambling Rose, and Macassar finishes."

i agree. i just really had never heard of any hickory ever being used or mentioned. i suppose if you had the $$$, they would make them out of anything you wanted. i know one thing these are 73's all original and kept in fantastic condition and sound tremendous! it's interesting how some are babied all their lives and others are exposed to elements (the infamous water rings) and are scratched to all getout or even have gashes or chunks missing. i guess it's just like anything else. some people appreciate and take care of things, others don't.

They are certainly in mint condition nice score, I wonder if they ever did any in Mesquite? Rich rancher in TX or something that would be a wild looking finish.

You sure have your share of gorgeous Klipsch rarities! Quite a stunning collection you have amassed.

They are certainly in mint condition nice score, I wonder if they ever did any in Mesquite? Rich rancher in TX or something that would be a wild looking finish.

You sure have your share of gorgeous Klipsch rarities! Quite a stunning collection you have amassed.

Mesquite LOL now that is funny. Barely a tree though and I can not believe there is Mesquite veneer eye burl and straight grain.

Eb-veneer.jpgSg-veneer1.jpg

http://www.ultimatewoods.com/veneer.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesquite

Perhaps that is what I'll do with my KHorns.

With a reddish stain and some lacquer I bet they would be stunning! They would definately be different from any other pair I have seen.

There were some pretty good sized Mesquite trees on our ranch in Webb county, I remember chopping dry logs up for grilling and smoking fajita meat.

• Moderators

Living in Texas, I have seen some hand made furniture with Mesquite wood. Absolutley beautiful stuff!

Paul

You are so right Paul, some of the best looking stuff I have ever seen. Also, very expensive.

There is a guy named Weeks I believe, makes rocking chairs out of em, for triple the cost of oak.

Travis