OT: Anyone remember this?

Daddy Dee

Is this for real? I wasn't really paying attention to PC's until I bought an XT clone in 1988. I spent $1500 or so. Basic price was $1K for an amber monitor, 20 MB hard drive and 640K Ram. I upgraded to a 30MB hard drive for $50 and EGA color and Logitech mouse for $450.

Prices like this for a hard drive weren't up on my radar screen. How much did a PC cost about then?

post-11993-13819349540038_thumb.jpg

Remember the days well. My KayPro was dying and Kaypro was going out of business. My first PC was a Dell in late 1987 early 1988. State Attorney had one, and gave me a number in Austin, TX. He had just bought one and was using it in his office. Some guy named Michael answered the call... 3-4 weeks later and about $1300 "shorter", I had a 20 MB hard drive, 5.25 floppy, 2.5 "diskette", an amber 12" monitor. MS DOS 3.1, and "borrowed" a copy of "Word Perfect" from some company in Orem, Utah. Install disk was a single diskette..... Never looked back[H]

I went to Computer Learning Center in 1982 after getting out of the Air Force and took their 6 month programming class (COBOL, COBOL II, Assembler and FORTRAN) and it was all done on punched card, and we had to do all the keypunching line-by-line... and like Gary said, if you made one mistake it cost you a day.

When I got to my first programming gig 6 months later I saw my first computer with a monitor (DEC PDP 11/44), and it had those removable 10MB RL02 drives. I remember them showing me this stuff on my first day and I asked them where the key punch/card reader was. [:D]

Yeah, those were the days...

Back in the late 80s, my department spent over 15 grand on an HP plotter to print graphs. It was really cool to watch. The pen stood still while the paper moved vertically and horizontally. About 10 years later, I saw the exact model at a yard sale in my neighborhood for $15. No buyers.

Ok, I guess I am a bit younger then some of you guys - when I was in highschool - we had those lovely monochrome TRS-80 Radioshack computers, where the coolest thing that you could possibly do was write the small program that would allow you to print some offensive saying over and over again on the green screen. (goto line 10, repeat)

College, at Syracuse, they had DECwriters, no monitors, and the funky language called APL (freshman weed-out course) to manipulate blocks of numbers in different spatial references, and the noise from all those DECwriters in the bowels of the halls at 3 in the morning was deafening. Never could figure that language out, still have the workbook and screw around with the problems occasionally. Only computer I owned was an HP11C RP calculator, programmed every physics equation I could into that thing, then forgot what all I had programmed into it, rendering it useless...

Post-grad, bought my first computer from a company that had retail stores, CompuAdd, remember them? Out of Austin TX too as I recall, a 286 SX small form factor, dual 5.25 and 3.5 floppy drive ,16 meg. ram (an upgrade), 20 meg HD, and *gasp* a color vga monitor - I was stylin' - with my Panasonic 1284 daisy wheel printer, I was making noise in my efficiency apt. till all hours - paid total over $2600.00 for that system, as I recall, and that was in 1989-90 or so...ah those were the days...

K

Ok, I guess I am a bit younger then some of you guys - when I was in highschool - we had those lovely monochrome TRS-80 Radioshack computers, where the coolest thing that you could possibly do was write the small program that would allow you to print some offensive saying over and over again on the green screen. (goto line 10, repeat)

Something like:

10 ?"XXXXXX"

20 GOTO 10

I think that's how it went....

Funny.... I have a 1 Terabyte hard drive.... you know 1000 gigs, 1000000 megs

Yeh, and what did it cost? something between $300 - $400? Amazing. That's alot of hard drive real estate for the buck.

around 300 and change

Its not the cheapest per gig though, I think the 500 gig hard drive costing around 99 dollars is....... You pay the premium for the largest space on one hard drive.