Has anyone ever managed to blow an RF-7?

Kain

Hi Kain,

Can you be more specific about your application? How big is your room? How many dB is the amp at? What are you hearing that is straining? What type of audio are you playing?

That system can take A LOT of power for a home speaker and your amp is reasonable. I would expect it to get quite loud. IMHO RF-7's can sound a little harsh, but I won't go into the details. If you are playing in a room less than 30k ft3 you should be OK.

My room is TINY. About 15 x 11. And I normally listen at over 90 dB. I have calibrated my system at 85 dB which comes out at left main at -1, center at 0, right main at -2, and both surrounds at 0. Used AVIA and RadioShack meter. My receiver goes to +18 and at about -20 I am over 90 dB.

Maybe the harsh nature of the speakers makes it seem they are stressing?

BTW, what are the "characteristics" of a blown tweeter or speaker? Is it either blown or not blown or does it gradually decrease in sound quality due to high stress?

As for the source, it is usually rock music played loud (over 90 dB). It seems that higher the volume, the vocals get a bit drowned out by the rest of the music.

Distortion and clipping from underpowering can blow a speaker alot faster than too much power. All you are running is a HK receiver so your chances are high, you will damage a tweeter before harming the woofers though.

The edginess at high volumes is probably: 1) the type of music your are listening to. 2) playing CD's in a DVD player.

I have run my dean g'd rf-7's by an entry level denon to the point that I can barely breathe. Denon goes to +18 I think, loudest I've ever gotten is +6. Easily live concert volume, not a hint of stress. RS db meter reading over 120db

You might have a bright room that gets irritating at higher volumes.

I have run my dean g'd rf-7's by an entry level denon to the point that I can barely breathe. Denon goes to +18 I think, loudest I've ever gotten is +6. Easily live concert volume, not a hint of stress. RS db meter reading over 120db

You might have a bright room that gets irritating at higher volumes.

120 dB with or without a subwoofer?

BTW, so there is no such thing as a tweeter in "good condition" or "bad condition?" It's either working properly or not, correct?

BTW, what are the "characteristics" of a blown tweeter or speaker? Is it either blown or not blown or does it gradually decrease in sound quality due to high stress?

As for the source, it is usually rock music played loud (over 90 dB). It seems that higher the volume, the vocals get a bit drowned out by the rest of the music.

Kain,

This system is extremely robust! You could use it for a PA for a rock band if needed. Trust me, at 90 dB you are seeing 0.1 Watt rms so you either have a problem with a tweeter rubbing or you are hearing a harshness.

Are you less than 10 feet away from the speaker when listening? Are you sitting level ear position to the horn? These could be part of your problem. You can't open them up because your room is so small. On the other hand... the RF7 IMHO is slightly bright in the upper vocals for me. Just ask Kaufman, I like a speaker that is very warm, so the presence in the mid to upper range should be flat, not elevated. If you treat your room with dampening materials on the walls or ceiling this will help a lot.

It's no secret entry to mid level DVD players have been notorious for making redbook CD's sound harsh/edgy as they are designed for a specific purpose (i.e. playing DVD movies/soundtracks).

Do some Yahoo or Google searches on the topic for more detailed information. As technology has advanced they have gotten better however. I guess the bottom line here is don't go out and buy a $100 DVD player and expect your CD playback to be stellar on it.

I have a Denon 2900 and still use my stand alone DBX DX5 CD player from 1987 strictly for CD playback.