Bass Guitar Questions...

SilverSport

I have a young nephew learning guitar and it got me to thinking (there is the mistake [:D])

...a million years ago, I actually played a bit of bass guitar...okay, I hit the strings and sometimes sound came out (Hofner "Beatle Bass")...it has now been probably nearly 30 years since and I find I am getting a bit of an itch to thump the strings again...there is a dizzying array of guitars out ther...can any of you help me find a nice guitar nicely priced should I choose to scratch this itch???

I always liked the Fender Precision Bass and I have a decent sized paw...doesn't even need to be this bass but it catches my eye.

I have read everything I can find by doing a search here and have found some nice Epiphones too (always liked the "SG" and Les Paul basses too but made in USA, made in Mexico, Made in Chicago (Lakland but out of my comfort zone pricewise I think), made in...and some saying the Made in USA Fenders are not really...

I have looked at Craig's List too but...who am I buying from and what did they do to it before I look at it...and it is the real McCoy...whatever THAT is...

Any help would be appreciated and perhaps we'll get a nice exchange here...

Bill

You're right - many choices. I have a Lakland 5 string and an ancient Sceptre 4 string that needs some TLC. I'm still thinking about grabbing a Fender Geddy Lee which is pretty nice for about $700. Rather fast neck on that one. I have jumbo hands too.

I'd suggest a local music store. Guitar Center or bigger. Bass Central in Orlando type store. Local is nice because you can get adjustments on those big ole necks. Under 500 bucks I'd suggest a used, better instrument and there are many nice choices. Music Mans are very popular and you can't go wrong with a decent used jass or precision. I'm not a Gibson Bass fan. Can always grab a Hoffner Icon for $350 to see if you stick with it then give it to the nephew when you finally grab that Lakland.

I recently bought a smallish Eden Amp (Mesa Boogie too much $$$) but still miss my old tube Ampeg B-15.

Saw this at Bass Central in Orlando (http://www.basscentral.com/2003/used.shtml) - these are very nice
Used As New Sting Ray 4 String, Natural Finish, Maple Fretboard, White Pickgaurd, Case Retail $2000 Sale $1099
Never Been On Stage, Could Sell As New!!!!!

Hope that helps

Show some guts Silver, get a fretless Bass .................... just kiddin' Bud, I like Fender Precision, or Jazz Master line ............ dabbled with a Bass Guitar myself until I listened to John Entwhistle and Tim Bogart, and oh yes,Felix Pappalardi, and Rick Danko.......... then I learned how to play the Stereo ....

Its easy to get sidetracked into the collectables and the special purpose basses. And avoid worrying about what somone plays in your favorite band! (I really feel for the poor guys who started out with a Rickenbacker 'cause they saw Chris Squire playing one! Well... after I can stop LMAO!)

My suggestion...Go with a Carvin P style bass.

They are the best quality at an affordable price and they have taken the market by storm, driven primarily by pro musicians who are scarfing these thing up with aplomb.

Check out the basic B4 4-string model or more advanced LB75 5-string models. But by all means pardon their 'new' chaotic mess of a website that I have been assured is going to be changed! Its a mess and if you are simply looking for a run down of all of the models with options for comparison, PLEASE order their excellent paper catolog!!!

I would avoid the low priced Music Man's and Fenders (whoever owns the name now!). They may look like a classic but the entry level instruments are anything but! If you doubt this, just check out the prices for the 'copies' of the classics made by these companies and you will quickly see how the prices easily exceed a grand. And that is just for a copy!

You won't pick up a real classic Fender or Gibson (note the later were usually short scale basses, eg EB0 and EB3) for anywhere under a grand, and the later issues are not worth collecting. (Heck , the reissued copies are not even accurate to the originals!)

Most of the cheap copies available at the local MI stores are battleships featuing polyurethane finishes (rather than lacquer) and sell on the basis of the skulls and flames and fascinating graphics selling image rather then the quality of the wood and electronics. Get a better quality 'standard' instrument that retains its resale value that can be learned upon and then resold when the player chooses to upgrade based upon their desired use and knowledge of the instrument rather than buying some kool looking metalflake green POS that will sit on Craig's list for months and finally sell for $75.

If you have question, PM me.

Oh, and another comment. DO NOT let fretless scare you! Not only do I prefer them, if you need the frets for proper intonation, you might want to consider taking up the piano or the stereo! But you do NOT want to mess with a cheap one here! Tolerances and radii are critical. And you want Rosewood at the least and preferably Ebony (which is a might pricy!), I would also seriously consider getting a student upright and taking some lessons. You will NOT regret this, and you will find that the electric is always an easy option if you ever want to mess with one - you may not!!!! I know that except for my '71 Precision fretless, mine sit while the original '38 M4 Kay (later renamed the M-1B) gets the workout. Or let me rephrase that...while I wrestle with the upright and provide a show where the educated onlooker will wonder exactly whose winning! The upright rules!)

Avoid the currently available Fender and Gibsons. While they certainly set the standards that so many others have copied, the only ones worth having are collectables that are far out of reach in terms of price. And he does not want a special purpose short scale 'SG' style bass (the EB0 and EB3).

Fender and Gibson may be classic names, but the time to have purchased one of these has long since passed if you have a fantasy of obtaining a classic instrument. at a reasonable price. And the current incarnations are anything but!

Of the currently available instruments based upon the classic designs, the Fender style (Precision or P bass ) is dominant. And yes, the Jazz format is available, but it is definitely a niche market.

Of these, may I suggest a used Yamaha P style bass 'clone'. It offers both a very affordable and a well made instrument on which to learn. It will serve you well until you choose to move up, when and if that day should arrive. Please resist the temptation to buy image or name!!!

Above that level a Carvin offers the next level of price and quality that will retain or increase in value with time Above that you enter the specialty market where you had best know what you are doing if you are going to be playing them or investing.

And if you choose to enter this rarified market, may I suggest first talking to the folks at Gruhn Guitar in Nashville (you won't get George, but if you do he is an avid herpetologist, so thats always fun diversion!) or to Michael Davis at Ye Olde Music Shop in Charleston (Hannrahan-?sp), SC. They can guide you in this market as you do not want to be guessing!

And you do NOT need a Marshall or Ampeg stack for an amp! A simple rig will do just fine!!! Besides, the days of the monster stacks are dinosaurs anyway, as they came about when PA power was rare (like the days when memory was expensive and scarxe!). Now days all you need is a source of clean power and if you do need the volume (yeah right!) that is provided by a direct line into the PA! Again, the old image is just that, an out of date bit of nostalgia.

There is NO need to invest in some moster amp! In fact, a personal headphone rig may actually be the most reasonable for you and for the family around you who are not going to want to listen to you while you fanstsize that you are a member of Deep Purple - especially when you sound no where like them except in your fertile imagination!

I always liked the Fender Precision Bass and I have a decent sized paw...doesn't even need to be this bass but it catches my eye.

I find that playing the guitar is very therapeutic. Music is food for the soul, and creating music is good for anyone.

I think that if you buy a Fender P or J bass you can’t go wrong. Especially if you buy it right. Your best bet is to spend the money on a 15 year or older bass that is a classic and then you won’t lose any money. After that time period the value levels off and classics from the 70-80’s are starting to go up in value. Make sure all the parts are original, and if the finish is scratched DO NOT refinish it or you will take a 50-80% loss.

Now with that said you will pay $500-1K for said classics but it is a good investment. If you are looking to spend less then you have to be a crafty bargain hunter. Timing and location are everything. Sometimes you will see lots of deals and other times not so. Collectable guitars have gone up about 15% a year for that past several years, but with the economy tightening the price is leveling off and it is a better time to buy. Go to the used guitar shops and pawn shops if you are lucky enough to find some that have good deal. Again timing and luck are everything. I know guys that have doubled their money in three days, and I mean big money. But this is rare find, they just bought at the right price. The most important thing is just to have a good time and unwind. It will make the busy life more worthwhile.

Pawn shops are a good place, sometimes. I got my short scale Univox bass there for $25. and from a friend a Peavey amp for $100. (15inch) and never looked back.[ip]

Or, my GF got me a First Act at Wal-Mart 3 years ago complete w/amp for she said $200. Occassion was Christmas. Looks alot like mine and sounds decent for very lowend new. Guess she thought I needed new.[:$]

Or, a 5 stringer like image above and play like Jack Bruce! [H]

Yipes! Back away from your checkbook. If you are just fishing around with the idea of getting back to playing the bass, why commit big money for the first step? You can find a new warrantied bass in any music store for about $150. It won't be a collector's bass or a professional player's bass, but you can find one that is fine to start. Thirty days from now you may decide not to persue it and you won't want to have spent a kilo of dollars finding out, much less the hassle of selling a fine instrument.

Besides, if you did get an expensive bass you would not get the benefit of it's superior features unless you also got an expensive bass amplifier. Much better to budget $250 for cheap playable bass and little tiny bass amp just to test the waters.

If you buy new gear from one of the big music stores you'll have 30 days to see if bass is in your future - if not, just return for your money back. If so, return for your money back and look for a better rig...

Hope this works out for you. As a long time guitar player I find good bass players far and few beween.

Hrm, a lot of advice here. Here's a tip - go pick up a $150 bass at your local music store and just play the thing on a stool, alone. Then grab a $3,000 one and play it. I am confident, even if you have no clue what you are doing you will feel the difference in the neck. Then the object, to me becomes finding a feel that you like at a price you can afford. As with most things you will get more for your buck used. Then you can wonder about investment grade versus quick to depreciate. But if you don't like the way it feels, you just won't have fun. You don't really even need to plug it in. I fiddle with them a long time before I plug anything in because you can change the sound, but not easily the neck, the weight, how it fits - that stuff.

Another tip - wood necks are just that, wood. They are affected by lots of things including moisture, temp, storage methods and time as others have mentioned. Cheaper necks tend to have worse intonation, change faster and hold tune worse. Cheaper hardware - ditto. Not that that's always true, but when you press a string down, or bend, etc you will feel the differences in tension. As you move up the neck, lesser instruments go out of tune faster. When you do tune, you might find the open strings perfect and the fretted ones goofy. Point being you want a neck that will at least tune and adjust, if it's meant to be.

So find one that fits your budget, feels right and tunes. Used is fine. Pawn shop basses that are decent, are not easy to find, at least basis my frequent visits hunting other junk. I always peek at the instruments. Usually, not always, things are knockoffs. Often more guitars.

As previously mentioned, if you like headphones you owe it to yourself to check out the Line 6 Pods for bass, at least discover them if you are unaware. They make them for guitars too. These things model different amps and cabinets and you can use headphones and make yourself deaf while everyone else goes about their business. You get a few nice effects too if you like that. You can go online and check settings to help get tone like people you like which is probably a bit more useful in the guitar models, but just good fun.

Amps are just as convoluted as chosing the instrument. I know a few guys that love little Hartke Kickbacks. They look like an old vocal monitor and are great for filling up garage size and a little bigger. I have a lowend Eden combo. Little bigger and a few more features. As mentioned I wanted Mesa, but too much $. Ampeg BA 115 pretty nice ~$350, I think. Watch the features, some let you plug in an Ipod or CD player - some don't. Just depends what you are after. Don't need twin Ampeg SVT's unless you, well just need them and don't have neighbors.

So, I'd buy the cheapest amp be it headphone or speaker that you can find that works and you don't regret sharing space with. Use that till you get stronger opinion and then step up. Note the Pods don't work so swift with others unless you run a PA. Note your bass may irritate a vocalist in the PA. Isn't it gonna be fun? Yeah baby. Pawn shop amps that work are okay, but often not huge bargains. Might be somekind of knock-off cheaper Pod out there too - don't know about that.

Happy hunting!

excellent advice ALL ... this happends to me every once in awhile...I start longing for the "old days...old ways" but might fiddle with it for a few minutes and realize..."What am I doing..."...maybe there was a reason that I quit the bass (other than college and everything)...this has been a good bit of reading and I have done a good bit of searching for gear based on many of your opinions...at the very least I am more informed than I was before and I thank you all for that...feel free to keep this going if you like...I appreciate the knowledge and direction...

Bill

Bill, all kidding aside, I know I will get pounded after this statement, but I don't care .............. Guys like Stanley Clarke, Jack Bruce, Tim Bogart, Jaco, the TRULY Great ones, it's a God given talent, a normal guy like us, can learn to play, and play well, but those guys are MASTERS, they are born with that talent, you can practice all you want, but will never achieve that level ....... not trying to discourage you or anyone ... by all means, if that's what Bill wants to do, Bill should do it, Go for it man, and enjoy yourself ............. Not raining on your parade, you know me better than that, Not raining on anyone's parade ........ just my point of view ...... let the pounding begin ..... Is there a sound more awesome than an open "E" string on a stand up Bass ?????

Hey Oldbuckster...I know exactly what you mean...Stanley Clarke...now your cookin' with gas...Jack Bruce...really...I know I cannot achieve that...I have been listening to some good music and hearing the nice bass notes...coupled with the nephew asking me questions...made me feel like I was in 8th grade in that band again...I will just be lookin' from the glass and I am in awe of all of you who have the talent...like with so many things, I can "understand" the mechanics but lack the talent...

Thanks!

Bill

Once I came to realize that... no matter how good you think you are, you can find someone on the street that can just blow you away with their ability and talent... I could just relax and play. Do the best I can and enjoy it. What a relief. I don't have to impress anyone. And neither do you, Bill. If it is too much work (beyond the practice), you will stop. Have fun with it.

Once I came to realize that... no matter how good you think you are, you can find someone on the street that can just blow you away with their ability and talent... I could just relax and play. Do the best I can and enjoy it. What a relief. I don't have to impress anyone. And neither do you, Bill. If it is too much work (beyond the practice), you will stop. Have fun with it.

I agree with Marvel...
Playing any instrument (exept drums) isn't a contest. Well you can play battle of the bands or Guitar Hero on the Playstation or XBOX but that is not what it really is about. Its about sharing your musical soul. That's where it is at. Music heals mental wounds uplifts your soul if you are the player or the listener. Either way there is a level of satifaction that can be obtained. It might be fleeting, this feeling of warmth you get when you hit the right notes but you live for those experiences.

I put the guitar down for 10 years. I got busy with life, family and my job but I found out that when you are bummed out or happy music is the fuel for your soul. I now wonder why I put it down so long. I realized that bending those strings makes you want more of life. Maybe that's just me but don't be discouraged if you want to pick the bass up again. Just do it! You won't be dissapointed. And remember its now how good you are but how much you can get out of it especially if you are jamming with others.

I agree with Marvel...
Playing any instrument (exept drums) isn't a contest. Well you can play battle of the bands or Guitar Hero on the Playstation or XBOX but that is not what it really is about. Its about sharing your musical soul. That's where it is at. Music heals mental wounds uplifts your soul if you are the player or the listener. Either way there is a level of satifaction that can be obtained. It might be fleeting, this feeling of warmth you get when you hit the right notes but you live for those experiences.

I put the guitar down for 10 years. I got busy with life, family and my job but I found out that when you are bummed out or happy music is the fuel for your soul. I now wonder why I put it down so long. I realized that bending those strings makes you want more of life. Maybe that's just me but don't be discouraged if you want to pick the bass up again. Just do it! You won't be dissapointed. And remember its now how good you are but how much you can get out of it especially if you are jamming with others.

A year ago I ran into a younger set of rock garage banders with some potential. That made me want to jam some. My bass mostly just sit's there ready fro me to get enthused. Playing with yourself is OK! Having a starting out band to listen to and to interact with, can really be a thrill. Music keeps me young period. Just think, they may let you play!