Updating Belle Klipsch Speakers

Bobby the K

There are some economical aftermarket options to rebuild your crossover with new caps. Either DIY or turnkey. I'd suggest to check with Bob Crites, BEC on this forum. You might see his cap kits on Ebay.

This option is the closest to restoring your Belle's to original factory spec.

Oh god, why did you use Reference series speakers with those gorgeous Belle's! Should have used a Heresy center and rears to keep that unique signature Heritage sound. That RC-64 center while very nice will stick out like a sore thumb from a timbre aspect when there are right to left or left to right pans across the front stage.

I guess all that matters is that you are happy though.

My Belle Klipsch are about 20 years old. I have recently added an RC64 Center Speaker and 2 RS25 Surrounds. What updates are available for the Belles and how do I get them?

The only thing I upgraded on my Belles was the crossovers to A / AA convertibles with new caps. That was the only change mine needed as those caps are out of spec by now. I have replaced crossovers on Belles and Khorns both times it was very rewarding. I recently upgraded to the Khorns which have better bass but I feel like I need a high chair as the Belles are at the perfect level for sitting and listening. I would like to be able to move the top hat as well to aim the MF HF which would solve the high chair issue. This may also be in my head LOL..... Enjoy the Belles they are wonderful and beautiful loudspeakers.

Let me suggest you look at www.klipschcorner.com . It is a very nice website by forum member Damon P. Good work, guy.

It has a history of the Belle with driver and crossover history. You will enjoy having the information even if it does not tell you what to do to tweek.

I have not pulled the trigger on buying the update I wrote about above. Maybe soon.

As you may know, the LaScala II got a very good review at Stereophile. It has an updated crossover and thicker walls, now of MDF and veneer.

In my view, the Belle is far more pretty. The ugrade of the Belle can be expected to put it in the same type of performance. I expect that both share crossover topology. Probably the woofer filter reduces a hump in the mid-bass. The mid is at least a pass-band design - a change from everything which went before. (This may solve the 8 kHz glitch which is reportedly the cause of a "shouty" midrange.) And the tweeter crossover point is moved down, All this is similar to the new K-Horn also. This info is based on what I've read and seen without actually doing measurements (Smile).

The bottom line is that with the upgrade you'll have units much more pretty than the LS II, preforming about the same, without too much cost.

I have no affiliation with the seller, as they say.

Gil

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, Gil. I am going to update my Belles. It is a good deal since I will basically have new speakers except for the woofers which have been gently used. They have been hooked up along with a subwoofer and were crossed over around 100Hz. Do you think the timbre of the sound will change much? The Belles were built in 1986.

Bobby the K,

I'm pleased to hear that you found what you wanted from Klipsch.

I hesitate to make predictions about something you're going to find out very soon. OTOH, I expect Klipsch did a very nice job. Again I reference the LS II review as far as expectations.

One thought is that your sub has made up for some of the deep bass issues and this puts you in a special situation versus people running without subs. OTOH, getting things "right" above the sub range can only be beneficial, IMHO.

Please let us all know what you find with and without the sub running.

Best,

Gil

• 3 months later...

Hello. I have a pair of Oak Bell Klipsch from about 1993. Ive been using a Yamaha R-9 reciever to power them. The speakers ring some. Id like to eliminate the harsh ringing. SO ~ Im now looking for something sweet to power them with. Do you folks perfer a tube amp to power Belle Klipsch? Is my R-9 a poor match with Belle Klipsch speakers? What amplifiers do you recommend for these specific speakers? How can i stop the ringing. Reply here OR to rzo_77@yahoo.com Thank you.

Jim

I am going to update my Belles. It is a good deal since I will basically have new speakers except for the woofers which have been gently used. They have been hooked up along with a subwoofer and were crossed over around 100Hz. Do you think the timbre of the sound will change much?

Based on my experience with updating my La Scalas with new Sonicaps and BEC's CT125 tweeters, the clarity will be noticeably improved and the timbre will change little. YMMV, of course.

It turns out that my Belles were made in 1984. I ordered new Tweeters and new AB-2 Crossovers from Bob Crites, to replace my original Tweeters and AB Crossovers,. I will let you know how it turns out.

Regards,

Bobby the K

You did not...

I just tried out an SS preamp with my Belle and it was poor.

HT electronics with Belles has a high probability for being extremely non musical. You would need the best of the best to do the Belles justice.

I scored a pair of Belles '75 vivntage from a fella's grandpa some time back. They are saawweeeeet and pristine too. All I did was upgrade the caps in the existing network complete. Moved a tap on the transformer with the help of good folks here and put the P trap on the horn. I then added dual acoustic suspension bi-amped subwoofers coming in at about 70hz and I absoluttely LOVE the sound! I think a lot of that has to do with the tube pre and tube SET mono blocks too but I have no desire to radically change or add anything more to these lovely speakers. Good luck and enjoy!