So, how does one go about getting a Wii?

fini

I just began looking. Got to Target early, but they did not have any. I know you can buy from scalpers on CL and eBay, but I'd rather not get one if that's the only option. So, is showing up to the usual stores (Target, Best Buy, etc.) early Sunday morning (and hoping it's the right day) the best way to go?

I went to the local Wal-Mart @ 6:00 AM this morning to get a numbered ticket for the Wii. I got number 1!!! They arrived @ 10:45 AM this morning. So looks like the Kids will have a fun present from santa! Anyways, thats pretty much what you have to do to get a Wii ! Good luck! Its pure madness!!!!

Yup, from a strategic marketing perspective, Nintendo has certainly hit a grand slam (and without the need for steroids yet!).

But wait a minute guys...I just can't resist...from all of the other threads, I thought it was a battle between the XBox360 and the PS3??????

And without doing any searching, why do I get the feeling that tha PS2 is still outselling both the XBox360 and the PS3 as well?

While processing power is nice, do we really need to see games (or anything other than nature/space programs) in HD where we can tell if someone has razor burn or not? Isn't it the physics engine that provides the real advancement in games?

I guess I am old school in this regards, but I don't watch sports to see if the everpresent closeup of the running back exposes whether or not he has acne. Its enough for me to know the nature of the general play (heck, I would be ecstatic if they simply showed the ENTIRE field of action with closeup inserts as additional covereage in addition to the primary coverage rather than covering the game like some psychodelic concert video where you are treated to closeups of the inside of the Tom and lead singer's face! And of course I don't need the babble of the announcers telling me umpteen times that they just ran the ball -something which I hope someone who is watching can figure out! - in between telling me what Jim Bob was doing in the 1933 Navy-Notre Dame game.). ;=)

So my gripe is that I still have problems with the fundamental nature of the programming that is available rather than seeing the limitations as being the resolution of the playback devices. And besides, if I have to choose one, its the audio that really makes the home theater experience come alive for me.

Bottomline, some of the technical advances, while certainly admirable from a purely technological POV, do little to really advance the fundamental enjoyment of the event. And Wii seems to have chosen to emphasize involvement and the programming material itself combined with a simple yet elegant controller rather than go for the overpriced glitz providing little more than enhanced resolution.

Nintendo is the big winner. And so it seems are the families who seem to be hooked on this platform. And they did it without HD. Go figure!

Our company has a big raffle every year with donations from local stores, etc. This year there were 109 baskets and we raised over $38,000 for the local Boy's & Girl's Clubs. One of the more popular baskets was the Wii basket which one of my departmental co-workers won (for his kids he says - yeah, right).

I wasn't lucky enough to win the Wii. I was even luckier and won a $500 Macy's gift card!! It wasn't the most valuable prize but it's almost like cash. I certainly wouldn't have traded it for the $1200 Coach basket that contained some of the ugliest bags I've ever seen! Maybe I just have no taste???

I must have no taste either. Most Coach bags don't look that great to me either. But what do I know, I'm just a guy.

I think the Wii is the biggest advancement in video games - it actually gets people moving more than their thumbs. Might help alleviate the problem of children sitting on their behinds getting too little exercise. A video game that actually involves movement. Best idea in video games to date in my mind.

Related to this is the seemingly curious silence of late with regards to virtual reality. That technology, to me anyhow, seems to have fallen off the radar screen. I mean, 10 years ago, that's all you ever heard about as far as the next big leap in technology. I'm sure there's continuing research, but I wonder why we've not heard much about it. The Wii appears to be heading in that direction versus the super HD PS3's and xBOX's.

Care to comment mas or anyone else??

Oh crap........I just hi-jacked this thread. Sorry fini. Hey - I saw a bunch of Wii's at Toys-R-Us. Does that help??

Oh - and I'd be willing to bet $5 that the first industry to employ virtual reality on a large scale is the adult movie industry.

Tom

I'm not sure I would consider the Wii a replacement for actually going outside to play...and it's not just a consideration of physical activity level either. In fact, if you get real lazy you'll find that you can play most of the Wii games by just flicking your wrist a little bit while sitting back in the comfort of your favorite couch/chair.

The lack of virtual reality surprises me too.

Who you callin' a little wrist flicker, Who?

;^)

Hey, I finally scored one. Sunday at Target. A little standing in line, but they handed out tickets, so the process was at least orderly. As for myself, I think I'd have rather spent the money on a quad of NOS 6550s...