Best DVD player for two, three hundred bucks?

mike stehr

Probably should read archives, but I'm lazy.

I have a cheapie Samsung 709 that I bought

basically for audio, and for a tweak for the

unit.

Well, since I've got it, my girlfreind and I

have discovered the magic of DVD video, and

she has taken a real shine to it.

Now I have the parts necessary to tweak the 709,

but now she's muggin' me, like I better not do it.

So I need to find another DVD player, $200 $300.

I want at least some sort of 5.1 decoder built in.

What would the best quality brands in this price range?

We both need to be happy.

Replies are greatly appreciated.

THANX!cwm20.gif

I really like my Panasonic. It Plays everything I put in it with very good audio and video.It's priced less than $200.

------------------

Yamaha RX-V620 receiver

1976 Klipsch La Scala's

Klipsch KSW12 Sub.

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch KG 3.5 rears

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Sharp 32" TV

Mike,

In your price range, I would definitely go with the Panasonic RP-56. This is the results from a shootout from Secrets of Home Theater and Hi-Fidelity...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_3/dvd-benchmark-progressive-shootout-2-8-200 1.html

Read the article but if you're lazy, you can scroll down and read what they have to say about this machine. Also, it's progressive scan, so when you get your HDTV you will be good to go. I have the RP-91 and love it...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 01-04-2002 at 09:32 AM

I have always been told that Sony is the best, i think we have only owned Sony DVD players and they all have been great.

The Sony DVP NS-400D and the 500 both have on board Dolby 5.1 digital decoders, have not seen any with DTS decoding yet. It costs $219 for the 400D. That is what i just got for xmas and i love it.

buti f you have aprogressive scan TV, i recommend paying the extra bucks to get progressive scanning.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

I bought the Panasonic RP-56 last month and LOVE IT!!!

It plays movies great, and I'm hearing stuff on my music CD's I've never heard before. Just played Star Wars Episode I and Planet of the Apes. Both looked and sounded awesome!!! For $229 you can't beat this player. Progressive scan, and 5.1 decoding.

------------------

Sony STR-D515 Receiver

Panasonic PV-8450 VCR

Philips/Magnavox 27"

Rotel RCD-855 CD player

SB-3 mains

SC-1 center

SS-1 rear

KSW-12 sub

I also just got a Panny RP-56 and recommend it. Checkout that link to the shoot-out above. The RP56 is an excellent progressive scan player than has the same chipset and other players costing over twice as much!

I wouldn't worry about if the player has Dolby Digital (or DTS) decoding because that's really a moot point now. Any decent A/V Rec'r will already have a DD & DTS decoder in it so you don't need one in the DVD player itself!

IMHO, Sony still makes some good gear (heck I just bought an ES A/V Rec'r a couple years ago) but they are not the best at everything -- like I used to think they were when I was younger. Both Panasonic and Toshiba make some solid products and many times they are a much better value too!

quote:

Originally posted by mike stehr:

Well I just bought a Panasonic RP-56

off fleabay for $231 total.

I really don't mean to be mean, but do you not determine what an item costs new from a regular online retailer before bidding on eBay? I just don't understand why you would take the risk of buying on eBay and spending just as much money (give or take a few dollars) than you could buying it from a well-established online retailer (like 800.com who was has it for $229 -- they did have free shipping else it's only like $6)? If you like risk then why not try ordering it from a less-established online store like, dealznet.com, who has it for like $178 -- at least you're saving about $50 going that route! I don't understand why people pay "street" prices for products on eBay that may or may not really be new (sometimes it's really refurbished). It used to be easy to get good deals on eBay, but now far too many uninformed consumers drive the prices up too high IMHO.

This message has been edited by STL on 01-05-2002 at 03:12 PM

Noticed an item that is available at retail local for $199 sell on U-Bid for $261 PLUS SHIPPING! The same item has sold many,many,times there for less than $100.

Ever look at digital cameras there? The refurbs with no software and poor warranty routinely sell for more than new items on the net! Go figure.

Keith

It was a Ebay store I bought it from.

They have good feedback.

It's new, so they say.

If I bought locally in town, I would be subjected

to 8.1% sales tax.

I haven't paid for it yet.

(If it doesn't work or used, then I'll send it back,

this was the first thing I asked them, if it was

new.)

So did I get screwed, or what?

Yes STL, I jumped the gun.

Ol' Fleabay used to be a good place.

(It better F***ing work!)

THANX!cwm36.gif

I know that my recommendation is a little high for your price range, but i feel it's worth consideration. Sony's model DVP-NC650V is a 5 disc changer that also plays SACD's!! Also, ALL of the functions on the remote are on the unit itself!!!!!..(there should be a law for that!!) It does a wonderful job on dvd's, sacd's , and cd's. It also allowed me to remove 2 separate units from my rack.(my sd changer and my singel dvd player) Now for the sticker shock - $399. But I do feel it was well worth the extra dollars. Good luck on your hunting!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by mike stehr:

So did I get screwed, or what?

No I wouldn't say you got screwed, but at the same time you could've done better.

If the best price, on the net, was $231 (instead of $178) then this progressive scan DVD player would still be a good deal -- simply because it performs so well.